Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Chicken littles get NCAA to cancel tournament

Spartanmack

I feel really bad for Winston - probably not NBA material, had a really good shot at making a deep run and possibly winning it all. Now he has graduation and a career in Europe (once the virus is under control) to look forward to.

I’m obviously completely bummed as a fan who loves March madness more than damn near anything on earth. It hasn’t even sunk in that this isn’t happening. I feel bad for all these seniors (especially a warrior and likable guy like Winston) who wanted to will their teams as far as they could go. I really feel bad as well for people involved with teams like Dayton, Baylor, SDSU, Penn State, Rutgers etc who had waited years to make the tournament or were on the cusp of a once in a lifetime March run. However at the end of the day this is probably for the best given everything that’s gone on the past 2 days in the US and in basketball alone. I selfishly really hope Tillman comes back but I won’t hold my breath.

I?m obviously completely bummed as a fan who loves March madness more than damn near anything on earth. It hasn?t even sunk in that this isn?t happening. I feel bad for all these seniors (especially a warrior and likable guy like Winston) who wanted to will their teams as far as they could go. I really feel bad as well for people involved with teams like Dayton, Baylor, SDSU, Penn State, Rutgers etc who had waited years to make the tournament or were on the cusp of a once in a lifetime March run. However at the end of the day this is probably for the best given everything that?s gone on the past 2 days in the US and in basketball alone. I selfishly really hope Tillman comes back but I won?t hold my breath.

Tillman has a wife and two kids. He is VERY likely gone.

went on some NBA draft/scouting sites and none had him as a first round pick. With a wife and kids, if he hasn't graduated yet, he might want to think about getting a degree.

at worst they should have postponed it. this thing will likely be under control in the next 3 to 5 weeks and if not, they could have made the decision to cancel it then. I'm sure they can work out arrangement for the venues. Football doesn't start for another 6 months, what dome wouldn't be available for the final four in late April? The schools were already going to make accommodations for athletes participating in the tourney. It would have presented some challenges for sure but I'm sure they could get it figured out.

I've seen projections having Tillman drafted late in the First Round, though I think early second is more realistic. He could hardly be blamed for getting out and starting to make money as he'd probably make the roster in any case.

On the postponing vs cancelling I read that postponing was talked about a lot but for whatever reason the logistics were going to be difficult. I can kind of see that as in another month we don't even know if overall things will be looking like they're getting under control. Though I guess they could have made that determine then as has been said.

Tough deal all the way around. I've seen quite a few folks suggest that seniors should be given another year of eligibility without it counting against the scholarship limit. An interesting idea, though not sure how many would do it.

Last edited:
Back