Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Class Act

Or youthful offender thing that some of our kids got

Last edited:
they should ask jayru if the security guard had been a black man whether or not he would have body slammed him, chances are pretty high his actions were racially motivated. just another non-black trying to keep a brother down, right? uh, no...a person of authority telling you to follow school rules created from past issues within the student body, but the fact he was not black meant he deserved to be body slammed in jayru's racial hatred book.

I am just as disgusted with the rest of the animals that were cheering him on. I hope that POS never steps on the MSU campus!

This angle of the incident has some people on talk radio and blogs defending Jayru. Their argument is that the security guard instigated the incident by putting his hands on Jayru at one point during the confrontation.

What I believe we see is the guard directing Jayru to remove his hoodie, Jayru not complying, the guard pointing/gesturing for Jayru to report somewhere else to further document the offense and subsequent refusal to comply.

Jayru then begins to walk in the opposite direction. The guard begins to move into his path. Jayru shoves the guard. The guard then re-approaches Jayru and they rather simultaneously lock arms.

At this point, the guard?s hands are indeed on Jayru and Jayru?s hands are indeed on the guard. But the only way to characterize the guard?s contact with Jayru is ?hands on him?. There doesn?t seem to be any shove, push, strike, nor any intent to move Jayru?s person.

On the other hand, Jayru clearly shoves the guard, and of course body slams him.

I would argue that the guard putting ?hands on? Jayru in no way excuses, or even lessens the severity of Jayru?s actions. We can?t live in a society where if a person simply puts ?hands on? another person (without a strike, push, or shove, or any force) it becomes a consequence-free, or even consequence-mitigated situation for them to pick that person up and throw them down on their head, back, shoulders, whatever.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152220114589187&stream_ref=10

Last edited:
they should ask jayru if the security guard had been a black man whether or not he would have body slammed him, chances are pretty high his actions were racially motivated. just another non-black trying to keep a brother down, right? uh, no...a person of authority telling you to follow school rules created from past issues within the student body, but the fact he was not black meant he deserved to be body slammed in jayru's racial hatred book.

There shouldn't be any distinction between racially motivated assault and assault. I don't see the justification for punishment being stiffer if you call someone a name when you hit him

This angle of the incident has some people on talk radio and blogs defending Jayru. Their argument is that the security guard instigated the incident by putting his hands on Jayru at one point during the confrontation.

What I believe we see is the guard directing Jayru to remove his hoodie, Jayru not complying, the guard pointing/gesturing for Jayru to report somewhere else to further document the offense and subsequent refusal to comply.

Jayru then begins to walk in the opposite direction. The guard begins to move into his path. Jayru shoves the guard. The guard then re-approaches Jayru and they rather simultaneously lock arms.

At this point, the guard?s hands are indeed on Jayru and Jayru?s hands are indeed on the guard. But the only way to characterize the guard?s contact with Jayru is ?hands on him?. There doesn?t seem to be any shove, push, strike, nor any intent to move Jayru?s person.

On the other hand, Jayru clearly shoves the guard, and of course body slams him.

I would argue that the guard putting ?hands on? Jayru in no way excuses, or even lessens the severity of Jayru?s actions. We can?t live in a society where if a person simply puts ?hands on? another person (without a strike, push, or shove, or any force) it becomes a consequence-free, or even consequence-mitigated situation for them to pick that person up and throw them down on their head, back, shoulders, whatever.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10152220114589187&stream_ref=10

My guess is that argument the defenders are using may hold some water if this were Jayru's first "incident". Jayru has 2 confirmed incidents and a possible 3rd that to me is starting to show a thug pattern rather than a "kid's mistake".

You have an interesting viewpoint.

There shouldn't be any distinction between racially motivated assault and assault. I don't see the justification for punishment being stiffer if you call someone a name when you hit him

I am wondering if somewhere in my lifetime the "race card" will stop being used

Wait, wait, wait ....

This kid is a Sparty and did this...?

Well then it means All athletes at State are thugs, the school and AD have zero control and the coaches all condone the behavior. This "incident" belies a much bigger problem at State like complete and total lack of ethics and moral standards for decency. Never before have I been more reassured of MICHIGAN's superiority over State because this story, this incident, is representative of every student at State ...esp the athletes.

Now, if he were a MICHIGAN student and Sparty had an opinion, it would be the same as mine but switch out the school names.

My guess is that argument the defenders are using may hold some water if this were Jayru's first "incident". Jayru has 2 confirmed incidents and a possible 3rd that to me is starting to show a thug pattern rather than a "kid's mistake".

yeah. while he might not see jail time (per ML's comment, I think this is his first time he has been formally with a crime), only the desperate "we'll take anyone who can help us win" sort of college coach should be willing to take a chance on him.

sounds like he's just completely unable to control his temper.

I'm not sure what MSU needs to do either here, since it's just a verbal commitment from him: "NCAA rules prohibit Michigan State from making any comment about him because he hasn't signed an official letter of intent. With one year of high school remaining, Campbell is not eligible to sign an LOI until next February."

I assume Dantonio just has to send him a personal letter saying, "no thanks" and no public comment is needed. though, that probably won't satisfy the press/recruiting junkies/losers who will go on and on about this.

yeah. while he might not see jail time (per ML's comment, I think this is his first time he has been formally with a crime), only the desperate "we'll take anyone who can help us win" sort of college coach should be willing to take a chance on him.

I'm not sure what MSU needs to do either here, since it's just a verbal commitment from him: "NCAA rules prohibit Michigan State from making any comment about him because he hasn't signed an official letter of intent. With one year of high school remaining, Campbell is not eligible to sign an LOI until next February."

I assume Dantonio just has to send him a personal letter saying, "no thanks" and no public comment is needed. though, that probably won't satisfy the press/recruiting junkies/losers who will go on and on about this.

This may not be a popular view but.......

I'd be willing to wager a small amount that the offer is not pulled......yet. Once/if he's convicted that may change, but for now it may be a wait and see approach.

That being said, if the offer isn't pulled, Jayru is of course on the thinnest of ice with a difficult road ahead.

I would suspect that he's been told that he will be an automatic redshirt in 2015 and therefore won't see the field until Fall 2016 at the earliest. Further, I suppose he's also been put on notice that he must avoid any controversy between now and Fall of 2016 or he'll have his offer pulled, or be released from scholarship.

I would have to admit that if he kept out of any and all controversy between now and Fall of 2016, I would have no problem with him playing somewhere/anywhere. And if he is indeed going to get his act together and play somewhere, why not MSU if they are willing to take such a chance on him between now and then? He would not be the first Big Ten player with a felony conviction.

Of course it's a very rocky road between now and Fall 2016 for someone with the issues he seemingly has. Odds would be against him. So many things could potentially go wrong that it seems likely that something will inevitably go wrong, and he'll be on the outside looking in, in terms of college football.

I would also not be surprised if/when the time comes to part ways with MSU, if the staff at MSU offers assistance to Jayru in finding his next life opportunity (with or without football). That may be happening now, it may happen if/when convicted in the bodyslam incident, it may happen if/when another incident is found out about or occurs.

No one who knows him will just toss him aside and forget him. His future lies in the balance. Peoples' lives are important, particularly when there is so much potential and an opportunity for him to get a good education somewhere and become a valuable member of society.

Last edited:
You have an interesting viewpoint.

Dang, I thought for certain you were going to come at me harder. Guess I failed to bait the hook with a juicy enough morsel.

Teens disrespect authority, regardless of their background. Gotta love the young "lady" saying about the guard "why you being an instigator?", cause lord knows a teen who is blatantly disregarding the school's rules is in no way trying to instigate a confrontation, right? obviously the guard just randomly chose jayru in the hallway without any reason or provocation. someone in that facebook thread said it seems like jayru may have been put up to it by that group since she was all set and ready to record it. seems like a pre-planned and deliberate attempt to defy an authority figure. granted the guard could have handled the situation differently. for starters, get several other guards around jayru and take him down to the proper area (principal's office, detention center, or other area set up to handle misbehaving kids at that school) and i would have even filed an assault charge just for jayru initially pushing the guard in the beginning. maybe...MAYBE...no further assault happens beyond that initial push in that scenario. always better to have backup than to take on anyone by one's self. in that sense, the guard set himself up for what happened. doesn't excuse jayru's inability to properly behave in the situation, but the defiance was obviously already strong in his head otherwise he would not have had the hood on from the beginning. he demonstrated a desire to create a disturbance the second he put the hood up. was he talked into it by the mob? possibly. he also might have just told the mob what he was going to do and did it. could it have been a sort of school clique or gang initiation exercise? there is a potentiality of that as well. regardless, the hood being up coupled with blatant and immediate refusal to take it off indicates forethought and determination to create a disturbance, the push indicates a preference to escalate the situation rather than to back down.

at the end of the day, i hope the kid learns that this behavior is not acceptable and changes his ways before worse things become a way of life. unfortunately, based on the number of people defending him, including his own mother...chances are greater he will only continue to defy authority and his methods will only escalate. maybe he can buck the odds, but i'm betting he does not change based on this incident so at least one more will follow.

This may not be a popular view but.......

I'd be willing to wager a small amount that the offer is not pulled......yet. Once/if he's convicted that may change, but for now it may be a wait and see approach.

That being said, if the offer isn't pulled, Jayru is of course on the thinnest of ice with a difficult road ahead.

I would suspect that he's been told that he will be an automatic redshirt in 2015 and therefore won't see the field until Fall 2016 at the earliest. Further, I suppose he's also been put on notice that he must avoid any controversy between now and Fall of 2016 or he'll have his offer pulled, or be released from scholarship.

I would have to admit that if he kept out of any and all controversy between now and Fall of 2016, I would have no problem with him playing somewhere/anywhere. And if he is indeed going to get his act together and play somewhere, why not MSU if they are willing to take such a chance on him between now and then? He would not be the first Big Ten player with a felony conviction.

Of course it's a very rocky road between now and Fall 2016 for someone with the issues he seemingly has. Odds would be against him. So many things could potentially go wrong that it seems likely that something will inevitably go wrong, and he'll be on the outside looking in, in terms of college football.

I would also not be surprised if/when the time comes to part ways with MSU, if the staff at MSU offers assistance to Jayru in finding his next life opportunity (with or without football). That may be happening now, it may happen if/when convicted in the bodyslam incident, it may happen if/when another incident is found out about or occurs.

No one who knows him will just toss him aside and forget him. His future lies in the balance. Peoples' lives are important, particularly when there is so much potential and an opportunity for him to get a good education somewhere and become a valuable member of society.
either he's just been unlucky at having the camera on him when he has his "bad days" or you have to concede that his behavior puts him in like the top 1% of high-risk college prospects.

not sure why a coach in Dantonio shoes, coming off a Rose Bowl win, and a bringing in otherwise solid recruiting classes would even take that risk & put up the time to manage a discipline case.

Yup

for the record, Alex Malzone, 2015 qb from rice is visiting on thursday

a little background on Campbell, grows up in a very bad area in detroit, dad in jail, he was released when he was in jr high. Coach wilcher has pretty much become his dad, he hangs out at his coaches house all the time just to get out of his neighborhood. his dad did come around a little bit and try to get back in his life, but he was arrested again on the day of the CC vs Cass game where Jayru punched a CC player in the handshake line. he tweeted something about how they lost + his dad got arrested that day. now we have this incident, it just kills me to see this situation. I just hope he learns, grows, and ends up playing college football somewhere.

not saying people on this board are saying this but you'll hear some whispers about how bad a kid he is but in reality, if any of us were born where he was born into that situation, i doubt we'd stay out of trouble. I just hope he gets a second chance and doesn't waste it

Back