Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Commentators during Lions-Texans game

kdp1980

Anyone remember the JJ Watt hit on Stafford? Helmet to chin hit, no call, and immediate clarification by the commentators, that that was a great tackle, and it wasnt a penalty. Meanwhile, Suhs leg flies in the air on his way to the ground, face down may I add, and hes being chastized, and deserving of fines and severe punishment? Starting to get very irritating, at what point does this shit stop? A player upside down with legs flailing is a blaitant and on purpose? And a shot to a qb chin, is fair game? Thought the league was trying to protect against head injuries, let alone a shot to the section of the head that is not protected by the helmet? I know the hit was incidental, but so are most other helmet to helmet hits that are resulting in penalties/fines. I dont get it and I never will. At this point, watching the games on mute and not reading any headlines or watching any sportscenter or NFL network seem like the only viable cures to the frustration I have over these matters.

One was what you would call a normal football play...the other was a kick to the nuts on QB by a guy voted the dirtiest player in the league. I like having Suh on our team and I like the bad guy image....but he is a bad guy and he does stupid shit like that. He's pretty much a POS as a person and he's proven it multiple times. I think he absolutely meant to kick him on purpose but I don't know if he knew it was going to hit him in the nuts.

I actually didn't have an issue with the Watt hit and I don't think it should be flagged. He buried his helmet into Staff's chest but there is a whiplash effect when that happens and Staff's head flies forward. You see that all the time when a receiver gets popped too and they call helmet to helmet...and the defensive player wasn't trying to hit him with his helmet but the collision causes the receivers head to fly forward.

One was what you would call a normal football play...the other was a kick to the nuts on QB by a guy voted the dirtiest player in the league. I like having Suh on our team and I like the bad guy image....but he is a bad guy and he does stupid shit like that. He's pretty much a POS as a person and he's proven it multiple times. I think he absolutely meant to kick him on purpose but I don't know if he knew it was going to hit him in the nuts.

I actually didn't have an issue with the Watt hit and I don't think it should be flagged. He buried his helmet into Staff's chest but there is a whiplash effect when that happens and Staff's head flies forward. You see that all the time when a receiver gets popped too and they call helmet to helmet...and the defensive player wasn't trying to hit him with his helmet but the collision causes the receivers head to fly forward.

Still made contact with an unprotected part of Staffs head. It wasnt on pupose, but it still happened. And Suh couldnt have landed that shot to Shaubs nuts if given another 100 tries imo.

Still made contact with an unprotected part of Staffs head. It wasnt on pupose, but it still happened. And Suh couldnt have landed that shot to Shaubs nuts if given another 100 tries imo.

The hit on Staff....yeah I agree they should have called it because that's how the rule is written....but as a football fan I don't think that should be called because he didn't go after his head at all.

Agreed, but whats the point of even thinking like a fan anymore, this league is heading in the opposite direction of what the fan thinks, and is all about the protection of its players. If Stafford had gotten knocked out cold it would have been a huge deal, but since his beard held up its not even mentioned. Just doesnt seem right, or does it?

The Lions will never get the benefit of those kind of calls. We have a bad reputation and the refs know it. I am shocked Suh didnt get flagged. I still dont think he could see where his leg was kicking but whatever.

i actually commented on that play during the game thread. im pretty sure it was phil simms who commented on the hit saying it was a perfectly legal hit. fucker hit him in the chin with his helmet....the opposite of legal.

I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up getting a large punishment for this, even though personally I don't think there is enough on tape to conclusively prove he did it intentionally, the reputation doesn't give him the benefit of the doubt..Goodall will likely be a dik about it.

Last edited:
If it is one thing I've noticed watching the NFL is that commentators there seem to be among the most ignorant in all sports. They are big slaves to the narrative, whatever it may be at the time. Suh is a dirty player, therefore his play was dirty. Watt doesn't have a bad reputation, therefore his helmet to helmet hit was ok. Ect.

The whole suh kick thing is being blown WAY out of proportion. Looking at the play, there is no way he knows where his foot is. I like how they went through a little video montage of all of Suhs "dirty plays". The only two that stand out as blatant is when he took delhomme down and the stomp. Other than that I just see a guy playing football with intensity.

The two that crack me up the most are when they show the two or three hits on cutler. The one where he shoves him in the back 10 yards down field is hilarious. How did the fine hold up and how is that still considered dirty. This is football. Ronnie Lott had his finger amputated during a game in order to keep playing in todays NFL that would never have happened. They should just make it flag football. Tired of the sissification of this sport that used to be about men against men.

Schaub(on Suh):
"That's not what we're about as a football team, as individuals, collectively as a group, we're not that type of person"

You are talking about a guy that is flying through the air and hits somebody vs JJ Watt hitting our Qback in the chin. This shit is getting old.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/8...kong-suh-style-play-not-houston-texans-worthy

This from the guy on the same team as:

PED Cushing and Andre "I'll beat the fuck out of you on the practice field" Johnson

Ok buddy. If I recall several teams including the Jaguars called the Texans dirty last year. Houston will get trounced so fucking hard in the playoffs and I can't wait.

Gunther called out Sapp too when he cherry picks plays to show Suh doing something "wrong". He told him to come over and watch some film. Gunther is right on of course. DT is not a position to be measured by stats.

I feel bad for Luck on Sunday. With Fairley coming as well, Luck will have a long day.

Back