Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Concussion Lawsuit

I'm not a big fan of lawsuits like this. It's a risky sport.

The ones with long nose and pointy ears smell gold, they cannot be stopped.

I guess the rub is if the NHL acknowledged and then ignored "warnings from the scientific community." What warnings, when, where, and which NHL officials then dismissed them, and what documentation proves that these warnings are viable. Would also need to isolate specific incidents of trauma and the nature of the effects. As one with numerous closed-head injuries and who still feels the effects, I can empathize with the players. But, as a potential ex-post-facto situation, do guys like Reed Larson and Chris Nilan (who was in the league as a brawler and was a goon's goon, IMO) have a case for damages?

Tort (cake) law is a tricky situation in Canada/USA. You can pretty much sue anyone for anything.

I don't have sufficient expertise in this subject matter to provide any worthwhile comment.

Will note two things though.

Hitting results in considerably more concussions than fighting in the league.

Up until the Lindros concussion sagas I don't believe concussions were a widely known thing to the public. During the past 20-25 years public/player awareness of the subject matter has exploded.

Pat LaFontaine was the player who initated me with the topic.

Pat LaFontaine was the player who initated me with the topic.
They guy that went before Yzerman. Nice player who had some big years but injuries.. We were fortunate to get Stevie Y.

And now that's on my mind, the guy that went before Barry. We've been fortunate to get 2 icons..

Back