Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Dantonio Tenure

jwlcosu

Is it nearing the end? I appreciate Dantonio. I like his OSU connection, his hardnose teams and the fact that over the years, he's been a tormentor of the Wolverines. But in a year in which year he became the all-time winningest Spartan coach, it feels as if the end is in sight. Ironic, no?

The question he was asked about his offensive staff after the Wisconsin blowout was pretty obvious. His response was that of a coach on his way out.

Last edited:
Is it nearing the end? I appreciate Dantonio. I like his OSU connection, his hardnose teams and the fact that over the years, he's been a tormentor of the Wolverines. But in a year in which year he became the all-time winningest Spartan coach, it feels as if the end is in sight. Ironic, no?

The question he was asked about his offensive staff after the Wisconsin blowout was pretty obvious. His response was that of a coach on his way out.

He's probably still a pretty good head coach but he needs to get better players. I looked at their 2020 recruiting class and it's all 3 star players with the exception of one 4 star.

That's not going to get it done if you want to compete for Big10 championships

He's probably still a pretty good head coach but he needs to get better players. I looked at their 2020 recruiting class and it's all 3 star players with the exception of one 4 star.

That's not going to get it done if you want to compete for Big10 championships

It's worked in the past. His only great class a few years ago ended up being a shit show and half the class was gone in 2 years.

It's worked in the past. His only great class a few years ago ended up being a shit show and half the class was gone in 2 years.

I think the odds are against it working over and over. Recruiting rankings are not an exact science but I think I'd take my chances with a bunch of 4 stars and mix in a few fives vs. mostly threes and a few fours

He's not the kind of guy who is going to suddenly start pulling in great classes. He is what he is and the program is what it is under him. And it's been historically fine, as far as that goes, but it's starting to not feel so fine.

Beating Michigan and winning a bowl game would put things in a different light but as an observer, it looks to me as if it's time to change direction.

Dantonio's rise was aided by Rich Rodriguez and Brady Hoke. End of story.

I think the odds are against it working over and over. Recruiting rankings are not an exact science but I think I'd take my chances with a bunch of 4 stars and mix in a few fives vs. mostly threes and a few fours

I've been saying this for years - finding the Darquez Dennards and other diamonds in the rough is not a sustainable model for consistent success. Stars aren't accurate but it's not like most or even a lot of 3 stars and below are actually better than they are. It's probably also not true that a greater % of 3 stars are incorrectly ranked than any other level and it's just as likely that the mistake is that the kids is overrated as he is to be underrated as a 3.

I've also made the point that most of Dantonio's success came when uofm, psu and osu were having problems - he has a couple wins against very good OSU teams but for the most part, his success came when the biggest competition was Bret Bielema coached wisconsin teams, not exactly the best years for B1G football. To be fair to Dantonio, I think those Kurt Cousins and Connor Cook teams could give the really good OSU teams a run for their money.

But the guy did pull the program out of the basement of the B1G and he deserves credit for that. And even in years where they've shit the bed, he has kept control of the locker room and seems to keep the kids motivated and playing to win unlike Bobbie Williams and John L Smith when guys completely gave up by late October and we'd see a string of discipline issues just about weekly for the rest of the season.

Lately though, he's made a lot of questionable decisions with the coaching staff that for me started with the hiring of Bollman and have only gotten worse since. If the guy can't show an ability to fire underperforming coaches, the he's clearly underperforming in his duties as well. But there's always the question of who are we going to bring in that's going to do better? Nick Saban before he was NICK SABAN didn't do any better in recruiting - is an established Nick Saban or Urban Meyer type guy our only shot? Can a guy come in here and do what Dabo Sweeney did at Clemson or just do whatever percent of that would get us in the mix for B1G titles on a consistent basis?

Last edited:
Dantonio's rise was aided by Rich Rodriguez and Brady Hoke. End of story.

You left out Harbaugh - he's been pretty good for Dantonio too. Really you could say uofm football in general has aided Dantonio's rise, but I guess you're still under the delusion that uofm is a great football program.

Also, Lloyd Carr's "rise" was aided by Bobbie Williams and John L Smith and capped by Jim Tressel. End of story.

Last edited:
You left out Harbaugh - he's been pretty good for Dantonio too. Really you could say uofm football in general has aided Dantonio's rise, but I guess you're still under the delusion that uofm is a great football program.

Also, Lloyd Carr's "rise" was aided by Bobbie Williams and John L Smith and capped by Jim Tressel. End of story.

good analogy...

and pretty funny too.

right, because Dantonio got to beat Rodriguez and Hoke to establish his legacy, whereas Carr had already won a national title before Bobbie Williams & John L Smith got there, and the record between the programs was lopsided going back to the 60's...

right, because Dantonio got to beat Rodriguez and Hoke to establish his legacy, whereas Carr had already won a national title before Bobbie Williams & John L Smith got there, and the record between the programs was lopsided going back to the 60's...

Well said. Also, Michael Jordan never beat Magic or Bird in their primes so his legacy and the Bulls dynasty is tainted. Brady?s titles in New England are null and void too because he was the benefactor of rules restricting defenses. Gretzky and the Oilers were no longer in tact when the Wings won cups in the 90s so might as well toss them to the curb.

Well said. Also, Michael Jordan never beat Magic or Bird in their primes so his legacy and the Bulls dynasty is tainted. Brady?s titles in New England are null and void too because he was the benefactor of rules restricting defenses. Gretzky and the Oilers were no longer in tact when the Wings won cups in the 90s so might as well toss them to the curb.

So it's settled: no team that wins consistently is deserving of credit because it's beating teams that are not as good as they are.

Dantonio's legacy is built on a lot more than beating Rich Rod and Hoke and the only reason Carr "won" a national title (voted on by sports writers) is because they didn't have get their asses beat by a vastly superior Nebraska team that year.

So it's settled: no team that wins consistently is deserving of credit because it's beating teams that are not as good as they are.

I think you're quoting the wrong post here, unless you're just piling on and also mocking mc for saying exactly this.

Last edited:

you left out the fact that Brady was a cheater who played for an organization that institutionalized cheating.

We can probably wipe the Islanders' cups from the records as well since the Oilers weren't yet the Oilers when they were dominating the NHL.

If Carr had stayed another 3 years, Mark Dantonio's MSU career would've been 4 years long.

If Carr had stayed another 3 years, Mark Dantonio's MSU career would've been 4 years long.

Clearly your delusion extends beyond the program - you also seem to be under the impression that Lloyd Carr was a great coach.

Back