Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Detroit Tigers Minor League Notes

Last edited:
Casey Mize is still on pace to throw this season, according to the team.
Mize is throwing in Lakeland to build up endurance and as his throwing progresses, #Tigers will determine what his season assignment will be.

http://www.milb.com/scoreboard/index.jsp?cid=&lid=&org=116&sc=&sid=milb&t=affiliate&ymd=20180719
Detroit Tigers Affiliates Scoreboard for Thursday, July 19, 2018.
MiLB.com

Tigers No. 11 prospect Mike Gerber helped lift Triple-A Toledo to a win as he clubbed a pair of homers for the second time this season. Gerber, who has 12 homers through 59 games this season, hit solo homers in the fifth and eighth innings before finishing 2-for-3 with two RBIs.

https://www.blessyouboys.com/2018/7...c-paredes-jake-rogers-mike-gerber-daz-cameron
Tigers prospects Jake Rogers, Isaac Paredes power a SeaWolves win.
Scores, news, and notes from around the Detroit Tigers’ farm system for Thursday, July 19, 2018.
BYBTB

Last edited:
Quick Hits from yesterday:
- 12th Save for John Schreiber - new single-season career-high.
- 4th Save for Zac Houston, now 14-of-16 over his career in SVO.
- Tigers confirming Casey Mize will pitch this year. Assignment TBD.
- Jake Rogers hit his 10th HR of the year.

http://www.milb.com/scoreboard/index.jsp?cid=&lid=&org=116&sc=&sid=milb&t=affiliate&ymd=20180720
Detroit Tigers Affiliates Scoreboard for Friday, July 20, 2018.
MiLB.com

Tigers No. 23 prospect Matt Hall, who made 23 appearances out of the bullpen to begin the season, recorded double-digit strikeouts for the second time in five starts this year. Hall threw a season-high 104 pitches (67 strikes) over six innings of one-run ball. The left-hander stuck out 10, issued one walk and worked his way around seven hits for Triple-A Toledo.
MLB.com

Last edited:
https://247sports.com/mlb/tigers/Ar...n-Podcast-Ep-1-Its-Good-to-be-Back-119950979/
TigsTown Podcast Episode 1: It's Good to be Back. 43 minutes.

After a five-year hiatus, Paul and Mark have returned to podcasting, sharing what's been happening the last several years, talking about the upcoming midseason Top 50 and thoughts on the upcoming trade deadline.

Key topics covered:

What have Paul and Mark been up to since they last podcasted?
How does the farm system stack up today and compare to others and prior years?
Who stands out at the top of the prospect rankings (hint: it's pitching, and it's good)?
Among the top hitters in the org, who would you bet on?
Do you expect any significant players moving before the trade deadline?

Spencer Turnbull was reinstated from the DL today and reassigned to Lakeland.

Jeff Thompson has been released.

With the release of #Tigers Jeff Thompson, Buck Farmer (5th) and Zac Reininger (8th) are only 2013 Top 10 draft picks remaining in the organization.

Joining Farmer and Reininger, Dominic Ficociello rounds out the only members of that draft class remaining with Detroit overall.

EmilyWaldon

Last edited:
If you had to pick one hitter with a .800 OPS, would you rather have a .200 OBP and .600 SLG, or a .600 OBP and .200 SLG. Why?

This is an interesting question with a pretty simple answer, I believe. While it may seem like it?s a debate, this exact question can show the general flaw in OPS.

When OPS is cited anywhere, the main use of this stat is to point out how good overall a certain hitter is. A .800 OPS can be reached in a variety of ways, such as a player that gets on base a lot with below-average power (Denard Span) or a free-swinger with some pop (Salvador Perez in recent years).

The main problem with OPS is that it likely weighs OBP and SLG differently, and incorrectly. They weren?t really designed to be added in a 1+1 formula. As Tom Tango has pointed out before, OBP is about 1.8 more times important than SLG, which is not accounted for in the stat.

This is why stats like wRC+ and wOBA are more useful, as the weights used in it gauge a player?s value with the bat much more accurately. They would show that a player that gets on base at a much above-average rate and slugs at a very below-average rate would be better than a player that gets on base at a very below-average rate and slugs at an above-average rate.

What is your favorite metric to gauge future success for minor league hitters?

Great question. As a person who loves diving into the available data for minor leaguers, this is right up my alley.

I?d go with SwStr% as my favorite I think. Players with high marks in this metric typically have more trouble advancing up the player development ladder, as advanced pitchers can carve them apart at times.

Other useful ones can fall into the category of plate discipline (K%, BB/K), power (ISO), and batted ball (GB%, FB%).

BeyondTheBoxscore

Matt Manning has taken another step forward this season. Pitching in his second full professional season, the 20-year-old right-hander has allowed 54 hits, and fanned 96, in 72-and-a-third innings between low-A West Michigan and high-A Lakeland. His stuff has been electric, and while his command remains a work in progress ? a 4.7 walk rate ? he?s clearly living up to the title of my July 13, 2017 notes column: Tigers Prospect Matt Manning Is an Ace in the Making.

Prior to last Sunday?s Futures Game, I asked Detroit?s 2016 first-round draft pick about the strides he?s made since that time.

?My velo is up,? answered Manning, who told me he?s been sitting 92-95 and touching 97. ?I?m also pitching the way I want to. I?m learning to be a pitcher. I?m finding out what works for me, and what I need to stay away from. Basically, I?m building on what I learned last year, and last year I learned a lot from where I was the year before that.?

One thing he?s learned is how to better manage his body and his arm strength.

?I didn?t have a great off-season throwing program going into last year,? Manning admitted. ?I think I took too much time off. Now I have more of an idea of what to expect, including how much throwing I need to do. I prepared well for this season.?

That preparation, along with the further refinement of his secondary offerings, has helped take him one rung higher on the minor-league ladder.

?I think my offspeed is why I got a promotion to high-A,? surmised Manning, who joined Lakeland in late June. ?Being able to keep hitters off balance, and showing that I can throw offspeed for a strike or for an out pitch, has been huge for me. I feel I?m continuing to get better and better.?

Fangraphs

Back