Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Detroit Tigers Minor League Notes

Last edited:
Tigers First-Rounder Riley Greene Does What Comes Naturally.
Hitting a baseball comes naturally to Riley Greene. That?s not to say the fifth-overall pick in this year?s draft doesn?t work on his craft ? he does? but at the same time he likes to keep any tinkering to a minimum.
As the saying goes, ?If it ain?t broke, don?t fix it.? Prior to the Detroit Tigers? calling his name on June 3, Greene had been labeled ?the best pure hitter in the prep class? by Baseball America.

He hit the road running in pro ball. Greene scorched the Gulf Coast League to the tune of a 1.039 OPS in nine games, quickly earning a promotion to short-season Connecticut.
While not nearly as prolific against New York-Penn League pitching ? a .766 OPS in 24 games ? he did show enough to get moved up to low-A West Michigan in early August. Playing against much-older competition in the Midwest League, Greene slashed .219/.278/.344 in 118 plate appearances.

When I talked to the 18-year-old Oviedo, Florida native in mid-August, he made it clear that his swing is already well-established.

?My dad has been doing baseball and softball lessons for 24 or 25 years, and he taught me to hit,? said Greene. ?Growing up, most of my coaches never touched my swing. It was just my dad. He?s a simple A-to-B guy, not much movement, and that?s how I try to be.?

Greene told me his front foot is his timing mechanism, and that his setup at the plate has remained essentially the same. He ?might be an inch taller with his body,? but that?s a matter of feel and comfort, not because of a calculated adjustment. He?ll maybe spread out at times, but ?only by a centimeter or two.?

Greene has the raw strength to propel pitches long distances ? at six-foot-three and 200 pounds he projects to hit for plus power ? but clearing fences isn?t his main objective.

?I feel I have more of a contact swing,? Greene said. ?I don?t really think it?s a power swing. I?ll get the barrel out every once in awhile and hit one far, but I?m just trying to hit line drives. I guess I?d call it a contact-on-top-line-drive kind of swing. My main focus is to let the ball get deep, and if it?s inside just react with my hands.?

His approach against professional pitching is the same as it was as an amateur.

?I was facing better arms in the summer-ball circuit than I am here,? Greene told me. ?It was 95 to 100 [mph] and hammer curveballs. So my hitting philosophy is pretty much the same. Again, I?m just trying to be on time and think up-the-middle-back-side. That?s what I do. Hitting is a mental game.
I feel that once you get the mechanics down, it?s mostly mental.?

Comping prospects to established big-leaguers is a common practice ? Baseball America?s J.J. Cooper likened Greene to a young David Justice (!) ? and the players themselves are frequently asked for own thoughts on the subject. Detroit?s first-round pick wasn?t having any of it.

?A lot of people ask who I compare myself to, and it?s really no one,? Greene told me. ?I?m my own person. I just do my own thing; what comes naturally.?

Fangraphs

https://www.blessyouboys.com/2019/9...paredes-derek-hill-anthony-castro-jose-azocar
Isaac Paredes leads the Tigers contingent into Arizona Fall League action today.
Action begins in the fall developmental league today.
BYBTB

https://motorcitybengals.com/2019/09/18/detroit-tigers-players-fall-league/
Detroit Tigers: 7 players competing in Arizona Fall League.
MCBTB

http://mlb.mlb.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?gid=2019_09_18_scowin_msswin_1&t=g_box&sid=l119
Tigers AFL players on on the Mesa Solar Sox.

https://www.mlb.com/arizona-fall-league/teams/mesa-solar-sox
Coaches and Players.

Last edited:
https://tigersminorleaguereport.com/2019/09/20/tigers-srd-291-no-relation-to-bill-james/
Podcast Tigers SRD 291-No Relation To Bill James. 125 minutes.

-Robert James joins Chris and Roger for the first time
-The language gets salty when it comes to one former Pirates closer (Warning: Explicit Language used during this segment of the Good, Bad and Ugly)
-The crew recaps the draft, the great year Issac Parades had for the system & what Tigers fan should expect next season.

Jose De La Cruz, a 17-year-old outfielder in the Detroit Tigers system, hit a Dominican Summer League-best 11 home runs. Ranked 19th on MLB Pipeline?s Top International Prospects list when he signed last summer out of Fantino, Dominican Republic, De La Cruz slashed .307/.375/.556, and had 16 stolen bases.
Fangraphs

Parker Meadows is one of the more intriguing prospects in the Tigers system. Detroit?s second-round pick in the 2018 draft is blessed with good genes ? his older brother Austin has 32 home runs with the Tampa Bay Rays ? and Parker has the potential to bash plenty of baseballs himself. His profile in our 2019 Tigers Top Prospect list noted ?plus raw power? and his track record of hitting elite prep pitching.

Work-in-progress would be a good description for the 19-year-old outfielder?s offense. In 504 plate appearances with low-A West Michigan, Meadows went deep just seven times while slashing .221/.296/.312. As disappointing as those numbers seem on the surface, Whitecaps manager Lance Parrish didn?t sound too concerned when I talked to him in mid-August.

?Young players take awhile to mature and get things rolling,? Parrish told me. ?I don?t expect miracles right now. It?s not like he?s going to the big leagues tomorrow. He has plenty of time to work out the bugs and fix the things he needs to fix. The great thing I see in Parker is the potential. He can hit. I?ve seen him do it, so I know he can do it. Just like anybody who eventually ends up in the major leagues, he has to do it on a more consistent basis.?

And then there?s his defense. While also a work-in-progress, it likewise has a chance to be plus. Maybe even plus-plus. Parrish comped Meadows?s defensive ceiling to that of a seven-time Gold Glove winner.

?He has the ability to run like Devon White, who I played with in Anaheim and Toronto,? said Parrish. ?He takes those big strides. When he opens it up, he can cover as much ground, in a hurry, as anybody out there. He?s extremely fast. Devon White was like that. Parker is gifted in that he?s tall (6-foot-5), and he can run like a deer.?

Fangraphs

Back