Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Devon Travis

Honestly, I'm not caring a whole lot. You never know with young guys plus where was he going to play?

Yeah he's pretty good. He hit pretty good in the minors as well. Mistake to trade him.

Especially for someone who hasn't hit at any level including the majors in Anthony Gose.

Last edited:
Yeah he's pretty good. He hit pretty good in the minors as well. Mistake to trade him.

Especially for someone who hasn't hit at any level including the majors in Anthony Gose.

The trade filled a big need for the Tigers right now. If he were still in the Tigers system he would be playing in Toledo right now.

Yep and Davis would still be batting vs RHP which would be a mistake..We've had enough trades that went in out favor..this one isn't so bad.

Last edited:
The trade filled a big need for the Tigers right now. If he were still in the Tigers system he would be playing in Toledo right now.

We had Rajai Davis. It's not like we had nobody at all who could play CF. Plus we have Daniel Fields down in Toledo who is absolutely tearing it up right now.

As far as where he would be playing if we still had him, that's kind of irrelevant, he was still our #1 prospect, traded for a guy, like tigersofjustice pointed out; that had yet to hit at any level.

He was one of the few prospects ive liked, I think his upside is more in the Infante mold though. I honestly thought they would hold onto him one more year in toledo and trade Kinsler next offseason.

Then let cespedes play cf. Worst of defense in AL but the infield d would be elite. Fair trade off.

or let travis play left since he can play of too. Either way, it would be a nice problem to have right now. Not like the tigers have enough young studs on the team already.

Travis was a good hitter in the minors...of course not this good. He is off to a great start. He'd still be a Tiger if he were a CF but he is a 2B and the Tigers already have a top 10 2B

Ian Kinsler is not a top 10 2B. 11th in Total OPS the last 3 years, 18th in Away OPS. Defensively, he is 14th in Total UZR/150 over the last 3 years. His stats scream average to slight above average.

I sorta wish we had Travis back.. As I see Gose K again.. Gose will end up being nothing more then a pinch runner and a defensive replacement when its all said and done.I sure hope I am wrong in the end.. Maybe Travis could have played third.. Hopefully IK can keep his average at .300 this year...sure hope the trade does not come back to haunt us..

Ian Kinsler is not a top 10 2B. 11th in Total OPS the last 3 years, 18th in Away OPS. Defensively, he is 14th in Total UZR/150 over the last 3 years. His stats scream average to slight above average.

since he has been a Tiger he has been.

Last year he was superhuman for the first half, and an animated corpse for the second. And FYI his 2014 season totals for OBP and OPS were the lowest of his career.

Last year he was superhuman for the first half, and an animated corpse for the second. And FYI his 2014 season totals for OBP and OPS were the lowest of his career.

While both sides of that coin were a bit extreme, he's always been a predominantly 1st half guy. It was talked about at length last season as I'm sure most of us recall.

I expect much of the same this season.

Let's base every evaluation on 1 year, or half a season or one month.

2015 Kinsler is currently 17th in OPS for MLB 2B

2014 Kinsler was exactly 10th in OPS, 11th in Away OPS

2014-Present, Kinsler is 11th in OPS for MLB 2B. All for a cool price of $16 Mil.

You bitched all the time about high priced contracts and the players not producing based on those salaries (Fielder and Verlander in specific), yet you give Kinsler a free pass. Why? Of all of them, he has yet to live up to the hype for a full season.

Last edited:
Let's base every evaluation on 1 year, or half a season or one month.

2015 Kinsler is currently 17th in OPS for MLB 2B

2014 Kinsler was exactly 10th in OPS, 11th in Away OPS

2014-Present, Kinsler is 11th in OPS for MLB 2B. All for a cool price of $16 Mil.

You bitched all the time about high priced contracts and the players not producing based on those salaries (Fielder and Verlander in specific), yet you give Kinsler a free pass. Why? Of all of them, he has yet to live up to the hype for a full season.

Would I rather have Devon Travis playing 2B at his age and salary over Kinsler...HELL YES! But that wasn't an option. It all started with the Fielder contract and DD trying to get rid of it. Paying Kinsler what he makes for his very good defense and above average offense is much better than having Prince Fielder on this team.

Would I rather have Devon Travis playing 2B at his age and salary over Kinsler...HELL YES! But that wasn't an option. It all started with the Fielder contract and DD trying to get rid of it. Paying Kinsler what he makes for his very good defense and above average offense is much better than having Prince Fielder on this team.

I would argue that Fielder is closer to his salary for production than Kinsler. But that is me.

And the real issue isn't that we traded Devon Travis. It is we got crap back in return.

Back