Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Eugenio Suarez

biggunsbob

Does anyone remember why the Tigers gave up on him ? Was it just to many K?s ?
Just curious. I think I heard he has had the most homers since 2018 in mlb and 177 total since he left the tigers. He had four with Detroit.

Transactions
October 9, 2008: Signed by the Detroit Tigers as an amateur free agent.

December 11, 2014: Traded by the Detroit Tigers with Jonathon Crawford (minors) to the Cincinnati Reds for Alfredo Simon.

Player for player, the Tigers got hosed in that deal, since they paid Simon 5,000,000 to basically stink for Bad Ausmiss?s last session. Then he goes back to the Reds in 2016 and Suarez begins his tear that lasts four seasons. His last two have not been as productive, to say the least.

Player for player, the Tigers got hosed in that deal, since they paid Simon 5,000,000 to basically stink for Bad Ausmiss?s last session. Then he goes back to the Reds in 2016 and Suarez begins his tear that lasts four seasons. His last two have not been as productive, to say the least.

It happens. Whatever bad trades we've made in the last 15 years we made it up with one, Miggy.

It happens. Whatever bad trades we've made in the last 15 years we made it up with one, Miggy.

100%? Not sure about that. But it's a new era of austerity, and $5,000,000 is a lot of money for CI to pay for any player.

WTF. How did the Miggy trade not work out?

Suarez was 22 and had some solid minor seasons.

Alfredo Simon sucked. This by far is one of the worst trades DET ever made.

On the other side the Doyle Alexander trade. At least Doyle went 9-0..

You see, this is a trade that belongs in the "it happens" category. Smoltz was a 22nd round draft pick. No one had an inkling he'd be in the HOF.

And, as a Tiger, would he have had the same level of success? I'm not convinced.

Last edited:
I remember this trade happening and being absolutely pissed because Simon was old and mediocre for the Reds while Suarez was young and I thought could be a solid player for us (granted he?s batting like .130 and I didn?t see him becoming a power hitter but still better than Simon ever was).

I remember this trade happening and being absolutely pissed because Simon was old and mediocre for the Reds while Suarez was young and I thought could be a solid player for us (granted he?s batting like .130 and I didn?t see him becoming a power hitter but still better than Simon ever was).

Seems that a lot of us were scratching our heads with bricks over that trade. The Porcello-Cespedes deal was also hotly debated as well.

Nothing was more bitched about than the Fister trade

I guess I don?t recall that much consternation over Fister being traded. Not on these boards, anyway. Maybe I didn?t participate in the conversation.

It went on the entire next season as fister had a good year. Robbie Ray has been way better every year since then so it never gets brought up anymore lol

It went on the entire next season as fister had a good year. Robbie Ray has been way better every year since then so it never gets brought up anymore lol

I?ll look in the archives.

EDIT: I did see the implosion over the Fielder/Kinsler trade.

Last edited:
Seems that a lot of us were scratching our heads with bricks over that trade. The Porcello-Cespedes deal was also hotly debated as well.

I hated the Simon trade. I remember I thought they got Latos (who also fell apart to be fair) and was pissed it was Simon.

That kind of thing happens all of the time here. When Atlanta signed Shane Green as a free agent this year people were ripping Avila and CI for being stupid and cheap asses for not signing him to help the Tigers BP.

Atlanta signed him to a one year $1.5M contract.

He has pitched in 19 games for Atlanta. He has an 8.47 ERA and a 1.824 WHIP.

The Fister trade made no sense at the time. Fister went over to the NL and I believe he had the 2nd or 3rd lowest ERA that year for the Nats? We were set to win now and we got nothing that was going to help us win that year. We needed BP help and we got Krol who was and still is a disaster. Ray was a few years out. We also got Lombarrdozi. He was mercifully cut before the opener. I knew he was a non-impact player because a NATs fan got on the MLB forum and said you're going to love him because he runs out grounders and hustles after foul pop-ups. This is the kiss of death.

I still say that the JD Martinez deal was the worst. We were only going to have him for another 6 weeks but I would rather have 6 weeks of JD (he was hitting a HR a day for Arizona) than those non-prospects that AZ sent us. The only thing that Lugo and Alcantara and the lottery ticket King helped us do was to tank faster. Why not take the 4th round compensation pick? Those guys, like most everybody else we got in return during the tear down, were brutal.

Back