Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Fister Traded, now is retiring from baseball

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=castel002nic

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=ray---001rob

Look at Baseball Reference pages. For Castellanos, it lists rankings for Baseball America, MLB and Baseball Prospectus. He was ranked in all 3 and in multiple years.

Robbie Ray has never been listed in the Top 100 until this year and only in MLB.

Robbie Ray has a career minor league WHIP of 1.36 and a walk rate of 4.0 BB/G. He only averaged 5.25 IP/GS in 2013, 4.86 IP/GS in 2012 and 4.45 IP/GS in 2011. Can anyone honestly look at these stats and say they are from a Top 100 prospect?

Robbie Ray cannot finish games as a starter and has not developed 2nd, 3rd and 4th pitches. Until he can do those things, he is projected to be a LOOGY. The Tiger brass are hoping he will be more, but that does it make it so.

There were ZERO top 100 prospects traded this off season. Teams just weren't looking to deal this off season. The front office didn't want Smyly spending another year in the pen so they made the best deal they could.

I've read that Ray really took a step up last year in velocity. Also, he increased innings every year as a professional. 142 IP last year as a 21 year old in his 3rd year sounds about right on target.

I know a lot of you guys hate the deal, but what other options do you suggest they should have done to get Smyly in the rotation?

There were ZERO top 100 prospects traded this off season. Teams just weren't looking to deal this off season. The front office didn't want Smyly spending another year in the pen so they made the best deal they could.

I've read that Ray really took a step up last year in velocity. Also, he increased innings every year as a professional. 142 IP last year as a 21 year old in his 3rd year sounds about right on target.

I know a lot of you guys hate the deal, but what other options do you suggest they should have done to get Smyly in the rotation?

I don't think Smyly is a starter and is better suited for the pen.

This. Even if he does okay, his innings are likely going to be a problem, short starts plus wearing down late in the season.

He was an exceptional reliever, I think at best he'll be adequate as a starter. and very possibly a liability if it causes the 'pen to be overtaxed.

I think you are wrong about Smyly, why waste him in the BP if he can be the elusive LH starter we have been trying to find.

That being said I respect your opinion and he was great in the BP last year. Nothing wrong with seeing what he can do as a starter. At least give him a chance, nothing to lose everything to gain.

If being a starter doesn't work out put him back in the pen in the same role as 2013

Regardless if they wanted Smyly as a starter which I doubt it was a horseshit trade..Regardless if they want to cut payroll it was a horseshit trade. Cheap top 20 starters don't grow on trees..

I think you are wrong about Smyly, why waste him in the BP if he can be the elusive LH starter we have been trying to find.

We couldn't find any LH starters? Our minors were full of them, we traded them away like we didn't care, probably because we didn't.

And as has been stated numerous times, his track record in the bullpen, very good. His track record as a starter, not very good.

One of the most important things a starter must do, aside from not give up a ton of runs, is eat innings. Smyly is just not going to do that this year, that's the facts.

So by making him a starter, DD weakened both the rotation and the bullpen.

Last edited:

That being said I respect your opinion and he was great in the BP last year. Nothing wrong with seeing what he can do as a starter. At least give him a chance, nothing to lose everything to gain.

If being a starter doesn't work out put him back in the pen in the same role as 2013

OK. If Smyly doesn't work out, who is next inline? Robbie Ray, another questionable starter, who also is lefthanded. Prior to the Romine trade, it would have been Jose Alvarez. Yup, you got it, another lefty. Or maybe even Duane Below, another lefty. Maybe Casey Crosby? Another lefty you say. Or even Kyle Lobstein, another lefty.

As starters 2012-2013

Alvarez 5.87 IP/GS 1.16 WHIP

Lobstein 5.70 IP/GS 1.38 WHIP

Below 5.52 IP/GS 1.30 WHIP

Crosby 5.20 IP/GS 1.50 WHIP

Ray 5.10 IP/GS 1.40 WHIP

Smyly 4.52 IP/GS 1.28 WHIP

OK. If Smyly doesn't work out, who is next inline? Robbie Ray, another questionable starter, who also is lefthanded. Prior to the Romine trade, it would have been Jose Alvarez. Yup, you got it, another lefty. Or maybe even Duane Below, another lefty. Maybe Casey Crosby? Another lefty you say. Or even Kyle Lobstein, another lefty.

As starters 2012-2013

Alvarez 5.87 IP/GS 1.16 WHIP

Lobstein 5.70 IP/GS 1.38 WHIP

Below 5.52 IP/GS 1.30 WHIP

Crosby 5.20 IP/GS 1.50 WHIP

Ray 5.10 IP/GS 1.40 WHIP

Smyly 4.52 IP/GS 1.28 WHIP

No doubt next in line would be Robbie Ray the prized jewel of the Fister trade. But Smyly should be fine as a 5th starter but who knows anything can happen.
I have Drew's first big league win DVR'D against the Yankees. On the road April 28th 2012 . I still watch it every once in awhile.

He made quite an impression on that day. Not only Tiger fans but NY fans and national media.

While he is not an innings eater as a starter, he can fill the role of a 5th starter or 2014 at a nice low salary.

If Phil Coke can bounce back, he can fill one of the LHRP roles. He looks good this spring, his average fastball velocity at 93.4 is just as strong as has been through his career.
Walks were the problem last year. If Coke can have better command of his pitches he will be fine

Ian Krol has looked dominating this spring. There is no reason he can't step into the role Smyly had last year and match his numbers. Krol sorta reminds me of Glen Perkins from Minnesota. If he can keep dominating, I would look for him to take over the closer role when Joe Nathan retires.

I wasn't real high on Alvarez he was just organizational cannon fodder to me. Kind of a turd he had a couple of good spot starts till the scouting reports came out on him. After that he was clobbered when the rest of the league had him figured out.

Last edited:
No doubt next in line would be Robbie Ray the prized jewel of the Fister trade. But Smyly should be fine as a 5th starter but who knows anything can happen.
I have Drew's first big league win DVR'D against the Yankees. On the road April 28th 2012 . I still watch it every once in awhile.

He made quite an impression on that day. Not only Tiger fans but NY fans and national media.

While he is not an innings eater as a starter, he can fill the role of a 5th starter or 2014 at a nice low salary.

If Phil Coke can bounce back, he can fill one of the LHRP roles. He looks good this spring, his average fastball velocity at 93.4 is just as strong as has been through his career.
Walks were the problem last year. If Coke can have better command of his pitches he will be fine

Ian Krol has looked dominating this spring. There is no reason he can't step into the role Smyly had last year and match his numbers. Krol sorta reminds me of Glen Perkins from Minnesota. If he can keep dominating, I would look for him to take over the closer role when Joe Nathan retires.

I wasn't real high on Alvarez he was just organizational cannon fodder to me. Kind of a turd he had a couple of good spot starts till the scouting reports came out on him. After that he was clobbered when the rest of the league had him figured out.

You lost me at Phil Coke. No thanks.

He looked like shit what are you looking at..

Last edited:
You lost me at Phil Coke. No thanks.

Players have off years it happens. Look at the 2008 season of Justin Verlander it was terrible. He came right back the next year and was great again.

There is no reason Phil Coke can't have a bounce back season. Command , command command.

Some Tiger fans on this board bash certain players over and over. I do not understand this logic. It is almost as if they root against a certain player or players just to back up previous posts that they have made. Even if it means the Tigers lose. That is a bunch of BS.

We are all Detroit Tiger fans here lets not lose focus of that. You disagree with me on Phil Coke so be it. But if he bounces back, with all the previous anti Phil Coke statements you have made I suspect you to be miserable.

I have went round and round with Rebbiv about Billy Hamilton , Ian Kinsler. It is so hard for me to believe he did this,cause he will be proven wrong barring injury. I am sure Rebbiv will be miserable with Billy and Ian all season long.

Speaking of injury, Fister is on the DL. With him out of here at least Smyly had the whole spring to stretch out and prepare for the up comming season as a starter.

The season is almost here finally. Drink a few beers and relax and enjoy watching the 2014 World Champion Detroit Tigers.

Last edited:
Back