Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Free Agent News

dubbsco

Thought I would just relist here:

Pistons have offered Isaiah Thomas a 3yr/24 mil deal.

Anthony Morrow is schedule to visit today. Absolute marksman from three, doesn't get a ton of PT. Would love this pickup.

Interest in Trevor Ariza from Washington. Not crazy about this unless Smith is moved.

Thomas makes some sense if we can move Jennings. Thomas is flat out better than Jennings. He's a much better scorer, admittedly a mediocre passer, but at least gives some effort on D (even if his size makes him pretty lackluster). The biggest upside I see with Thomas is that because he plays for the Kings, we might work out a sign and trade where we send back Smith in order to stop the Kings from matching. It's not a perfect plan, but it moves Smith and retains cap space to try and upgrade the wings.

Morrow makes sense as a bench guy. He basically does what we'd hoped Luigi would-hit open threes. Morrow can't be trusted to dribble or defend, but the one thing he does well, we really need.

Ariza is definitely interesting. I'm leery that he's too inconsistent, plus afraid he'll price himself above his actual ability.

You signed jodie meeks. Way overpaid. Yikes.

Meeks put up 16 ppg on a horrible, lottery bound Lakers team.

I realize he fits a need but 19 over 3 seems like a major overpayment for a player that's just a shooter.

Meeks put up 16 ppg on a horrible, lottery bound Lakers team.

I realize he fits a need but 19 over 3 seems like a major overpayment for a player that's just a shooter.

Couldn't risk going into another season without a 3 point shooter. Finishing 29th in 3pt% pretty much forced their hand. Pay less, get less. Especially in a shitty organization like Detroit has been.

I do understand that the 3pt shot is very important in SVGs mind though. Who knows, I still think we can make the playoffs, if Josh Smith is gone.

I am a big fan of the Meeks signing. Pistons don't have a single guy that can truly stroke from three. Meeks can do that. They also still may sign Morrow.

Unless you are a handful of teams that have multiple superstars everyone overpays. It's overpaid by a mil or so. Not dramatically. And if it doesn't work out its only a bad contract for two years. Year three it's an expiring and has value. Nothing debilitating.

Don't forget this is the same league that max contracts roy hibbert, and I even seen rumors about max contract for gordon hayward. Nba execs have to be some of the worst at gauging value of a player.

The guy is humble and is a team guy first. I don't have any problem with Meeks at all. 3 mil, 18 years is actually a small contract in today's market. Don't think Pistons overpaid for him. I actually would like to see Morrow, and then Thomas signed in some form of a sign-trade that includes Smith. Team suddenly has some firepower.

If Smith is dealt SOMEHOW, you can have a roster like this:

1- Jennings/Thomas
2- Meeks
3- Singler
4- Monroe
5- Drummond

I would like that a lot better than the crap they have right now.

The guy is humble and is a team guy first. I don't have any problem with Meeks at all. 3 mil, 18 years is actually a small contract in today's market. Don't think Pistons overpaid for him. I actually would like to see Morrow, and then Thomas signed in some form of a sign-trade that includes Smith. Team suddenly has some firepower.

1- Jennings/Thomas
2- Meeks
3- Singler
4- Monroe
5- Drummond

Don't count out Kcp yet. He can defend and hopefully will take a huge leap in scoring this year.

Maybe. I'm still sick they took him over Trey Burke. That was a Joe Dumars, "I'm smarter than the rest of the NBA" pick.

The Cavs are about to throw a max contract to Gordon Freaking Hayward.

a decent player that put up numbers on a crappy Utah Jazz team.

1- Jennings/Thomas
2- Meeks
3- Singler
4- Monroe
5- Drummond

I like Meeks as a player, but to say it's "actually a small contract in today's market" is stretching the truth quite a bit. I think it's obvious they overpaid him. Here's a list of Meeks and 4 similar players with similar contracts:

1. Jodie Meeks: 3 year/19.5 million contract, averages 6.5 million per year.
2. J.J. Redick: 4 year/27.76 million contract, averages 7 million per year.
3. Jamal Crawford: 4 year/21.35 million contract, averages 5.3 million per year.
4. Kevin Martin: 4 year/27.76 million contract, averages 7 million per year.
5. Wesley Matthews: 5 year/26.84 million contract, averages 5.4 million per year.

Do you really think that Jodie Meeks is on the same level as any of those 4 guys with similar contracts? Before starting on a very bad Lakers team last year, he only averaged above 10 points for one season, and that was with the 76ers.

Last edited:
I like Meeks as a player, but to say it's "actually a small contract in today's market" is stretching the truth quite a bit. I think it's obvious they overpaid him. Here's a list of Meeks and 4 similar players with similar contracts:

1. Jodie Meeks: 3 year/19.5 million contract, averages 6.5 million per year.
2. J.J. Redick: 4 year/27.76 million contract, averages 7 million per year.
3. Jamal Crawford: 4 year/21.35 million contract, averages 5.3 million per year.
4. Kevin Martin: 4 year/27.76 million contract, averages 7 million per year.
5. Wesley Matthews: 5 year/26.84 million contract, averages 5.4 million per year.

Do you really think that Jodie Meeks is on the same level as any of those 4 guys with similar contracts? Before starting on a very bad Lakers team last year, he only averaged above 10 points for one season, and that was with the 76ers.

Kevin Martin and Crawford are aging vets when they signed their contracts. For instance martin signed a 5 year 55 mil when he was younger. Crawford signed a 7 year 56 mil in 2004. I'm sure market was cheaper then. Wesley matthews was actually given his deal after his rookie year in which he averaged 9 points. He was undrafted and signed a one year deal with Utah so was a restricted free agent following that rookie year. In 2010 redick was offered a 3 year 19 mil deal (sound familiar?) by Chicago that was around the same age was meeks and about the same career numbers.

Kevin Martin and Crawford are aging vets when they signed their contracts. For instance martin signed a 5 year 55 mil when he was younger. Crawford signed a 7 year 56 mil in 2004. I'm sure market was cheaper then. Wesley matthews was actually given his deal after his rookie year in which he averaged 9 points. He was undrafted and signed a one year deal with Utah so was a restricted free agent following that rookie year. In 2010 redick was offered a 3 year 19 mil deal (sound familiar?) by Chicago that was around the same age was meeks and about the same career numbers.

I don't understand what your point is. What I'm saying is that I believe that Martin, Crawford, Matthews, and Redick are all currently better players than Jodie Meeks. Jodie Meeks got a similar contract to these 4 players, therefore, he was overpaid. Do you believe that Meeks is as good as any of those players? That's my question for you.

I don't understand what your point is. What I'm saying is that I believe that Martin, Crawford, Matthews, and Redick are all currently better players than Jodie Meeks. Jodie Meeks got a similar contract to these 4 players, therefore, he was overpaid. Do you believe that Meeks is as good as any of those players? That's my question for you.

My point is their situations are all different. So contract dollars don't mean just performance. But the timeframe and certain circumstances when they are given. Example is dirk nowitzki taking 10 mil a year. Or Tim Duncan. Both probably have huge numbers in comparison to other players on similar money. Different circumstances. The only one who is comparable to him around the same timeframe is redick. And he got a three year 18 mill.

Back