Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 103 Tigers vs. whitesox July 29, 2014

no. 1/3 IP, 6H, 4 ER, 2 HR

I remember a few games ago when many on this board were ripping Ausmus for not using Soria (I think when Joba went in and gave up a HR). When will posters learn that it is the players not the manager?

While in general terms I agree that ultimately it is the players.

A. The GM constructs the team

B. The manager influences whether players are put into a position for success or failure.

Now, I mentioned this just recently. There are some Tiger relievers who absolutely pitch better from the windup versus the set.

Prior to the Tigers, Soria had only 1 game this year when he entered with a runner on base.

2011-2014 Inherited Runners / Inherited Runners Scored (With DET in 2014)

Hardy 5-0 0.0% (5-0 0.0%)

Smith 5-0 0.0% (5-0 0.0%)

McCoy 2-0 0.0% (2-0 0.0%)

Smyly 33 - 6 18.2% (0-0 0.0%)

Reed 19-5 26.3 (10-2 20.0%)

Albuquerque 110 - 30 27.2% (30-10 33.3%)

Ortega 7-2 28.6% (1-0 0.0%)

Coke 158-52 32.9% (31-11 35.5%)

Knebel 6-2 33.3% (6-2 33.3%)

Chamberlain 100-34 34.0% (9-1 11.1%)

Putkonen 25-9 36.0% (1-1 100%)

Krol 45-20 44.4% (35-13 37.1%)

Soria 24-11 45.8% (2-2 100%)

Nathan 25-13 52.0% (3-3 100%)

Miller 2-2 100% (2-2 100%)

2014 MLB Relievers = 27.8% Average

2013 MLB Relievers = 28.8% Average

2012 MLB Relievers = 28.9% Average

2011 MLB Relievers = 29.6% Average

2010 MLB Relievers = 31.0% Average

Craig Kimbrell = 26-4 15.4%

Andrew Miller = 102-16 15.7%

Jose Veras = 110-18 16.4%

Joaquin Benoit = 107-20 18.7%

Greg Holland = 71-17 23.9%

Mariano Rivera = 49-14 28.6%

David Robertson = 121-35 28.9%

Anything under 30% is considered good. Really good relievers are consistently under 25%. I would argue our best reliever with runners on base is Albuquerque. Smyly if he wasn't starting. The rest of the team either doesn't have enough sample size to draw conclusion (hence why I went back to 2010), or they just don't succeed enough when runners are on base.

As a "general" rule, closer usually don't get a lot of opportunities to come in with runners on base. They usually start an inning with none on.

DD is responsible for the pen. Ausmus is responsible to be knowledgeable enough on who succeeds or who doesn't with runners on base.

So Ausmus brings Soria in last night. Soria is still responsible for his pitches. But why pull Sanchez when he did? My opinion, mine only, Ausmus does not leave the starter in there to work through the issues. On the other hand, Leyland probably left a starter in too long most times.

So, this team really has no relievers that can effectively come in with runners on base. A failure of DD in constructing this team. Ausmus should have complete knowledge of what his pitcher's record is in those situations and help put them and the team in a position of success. Failure. And of course, the players themselves are a failure as well.

Bottom line. If you know Joe Nathan has performed very poorly throughout his career when entered a game with runners on base and Ausmus uses him in that situation, who is more to blame when he doesn't succeed?

I got to question last nights lineup,why in the hell is Cabrera playing 3rd,just to let Hunter DH? and Hunter hitting ahead of J.D. and further the fuck more leave Cabrera hitting 3rd and Kinsler hit 2nd behind Davis.just keep no-action Jackson hitting 9th,we won't expect as much.

I got to question last nights lineup,why in the hell is Cabrera playing 3rd,just to let Hunter DH? and Hunter hitting ahead of J.D. and further the fuck more leave Cabrera hitting 3rd and Kinsler hit 2nd behind Davis.just keep no-action Jackson hitting 9th,we won't expect as much.

Nick was scratched at the last minute...I think it was his back.

When you lose 11-4, the small personnel changes are moot. This team; this organization; these players ... I have no connection to it/them. Must be me.

When you lose 11-4, the small personnel changes are moot. This team; this organization; these players ... I have no connection to it/them. Must be me.

I'm with you on the players but still have a connection to the team. I used to look forward to JV pitching but now he is becoming one of my least favorite Tigers because every time he goes out there and lays an egg I think we are going to be stuck with him and his $28M salary until 2019. Then there is Miggy...DD signs him 2 years before FA and once he starts to decline I will resent him as well. I wish they would have just traded Miggy last off season but you know that wasn't going to happen. I feel that if they don't win this year we are going to see a sharp downward spiral and they will be at the bottom of the central within a few years.

Are the fans booing Soria?? I'm in Montana so no Tigers action here and from the sound of it I'm glad. Can't believe this turd is melting down with the rest of them. I could see if this guy was coming from the NL but the AL West? with all those powerhouse teams it makes no sense

Yeah, we were booing him after the first run. People were (sarcastically) yelling to bring in Phil Fuckin' Coke.

I turned off the game when it was 2-2. Checked it later, 11-4. How the heck did the White Sox get 9 runs?

I awoke early in the night and watched the 9 run inning 1st thing. I thought it was a Coke highlite film.they lit his ass up but good.

Back