Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 41 Tigers vs. rangers May 20, 2017

If Igleasias could hit as well as he fields, instead he's chasing shit down by his feet,

All the good defensive plays by the infield and then Upton just shits himself on a fly ball

Man I am jealous of Rangers 10 game winning streak, and they are only 23-21.

I beat up on Bell a little. Chad has pitch very good in the 4 games he has been in going 7.2 innings in games the Tigers are now 1-3. This being the 1st game they won.

NOTABLE:
Alex Avila, Miguel Cabrera, and J.D. Martinez nearly tore apart the right-field stands with their opening-bell blasts against Rangers starter A.J. Griffin,
Martinez?s blast the mightiest of the three ? traveling nearly 440 feet as it crossed the deeply recessed auxiliary scoreboard in right-center.
Cabrera?s homer Saturday was his 451st. It leaves him a single homer shy of Carl Yastrzemski?s 452, 37th in big-league history.
Miguel Cabrera?s first inning home run went right over the outfield sign for his new Bitbits candy. Nice advertising, Miggy.

Saturday?s long-ball siege was the first time the Tigers had hit back-to-back-to-back bombs since June 1, 2013, when Victor Martinez, Jhonny Peralta, and Avila did so in a game against the Orioles.

Two innings after their first-inning trifecta, Nick Castellanos hit his first homer since April 22 when he launched a three-run shot just beyond the barrier in right-center.

Tigers starter Justin Verlander retired the first nine batters in order, but quickly gave up his perfect game (a walk to Shin-Soo Choo), no-hitter (single by Elvis Andrus) and shutout (two-run double by Nomar Mazara) in the fourth.
After that, Verlander was swift and effective. He completed seven innings of work, allowing three runs on four hits, with one walk and five strikeouts.
Verlander took the win, recording his sixth quality start in nine tries this season.
Justin Verlander?s five strikeouts Saturday gave him 2,251 for his career, moving him past Eddie Plank and into 53rd place on big-league baseball?s all-time whiffs list.

Tigers second baseman Ian Kinsler was removed from Saturday night's game in the fifth inning after experiencing left hamstring tightness.
Kinsler missed five games earlier this month with the same tightness in his left hamstring. Kinsler was replaced by Andrew Romine.
He returned May 11 and has hit .350 since, including two hits Saturday before leaving the game.

Rangers reliever Austin Bibens-Dirkx, who made his MLB debut earlier this week at age 32, recorded his second career strikeout by getting Miguel Cabrera to flail at a pitch low and away.
Bibens-Dirkx replaced A.J. Griffin, whose ERA ballooned by a full two runs to 5.02. Griffin gave up nine earned runs in 3 1/3 innings.

Avila went 3-for-3. He added a two-run double in the fourth inning to put the game on ice. In 25 games this season, Avila is hitting .382 and slugging .706
with a 1.194 OPS. Avila is batting .455 at Comerica Park in 2017,
It was the first time in Avila?s career he had batted second.
He has five home runs in 68 at-bats so far this season, a stretch that's threatening to earn him a steadier diet of at-bats.
Avila will start Sunday against Rangers right-hander Yu Darvish. He's just 2-for-12 against Darvish for his career, but he's on a tear right now.

Ian Kinsler and Castellanos each recorded two hits.
Castellanos hit seven outs farther this season than his Saturday home run, which traveled 375 feet according to Statcast?. But he hit the home run at a 37-degree launch angle, lofting it into the second row of the right-field seats.

Martinez, whose first-inning missile was his sixth home run in 22 official at-bats since he returned from a two-month layoff due to a sprained foot.
Martinez is batting .478 in eight games since he fled the disabled list.
He has a preposterous 1.261 slugging percentage and an OPS of 1.908

It was the Rangers' first loss at Comerica Park since Aug. 20, 2015, ending a franchise-best seven-game winning streak in Detroit.
Texas' 10-game winning streak overall ended as the fourth-longest in club history, and best since a 12-game streak in July 2011.

http://m.tigers.mlb.com/det/video/search?team_id=116&tagName=Detroit Tigers
Webvideo Highlights of the Tigers Win over the rangers.

https://www.mlb.com/gameday/rangers...nal,lock_state=final,game_tab=box,game=490745
Boxscore.

ROARS:
Alex Avila started things off in the first with his fifth home run of the season, and not wanting to be outdone, Miguel Cabrera and J.D. Martinez each followed up with solo moonshots of their own. An RBI for Cabrera in the third scored Kinsler, then Nicholas Castellanos decided not to be outdone and bashed in a three-run home run of his own.

Avila, not content to stop there, got two more RBIs on a double off the outfield wall.

Justin Verlander - mid-to-high-90s fastballs, quick hands, this was the Verlander fans were hoping to see tonight, and he delivered.
He kept his pitch count low, was focused and in control. Things got a little shaky in the fourth, but Verlander regained his composure like a pro.
By the sixth it was clear the rising pitch count was starting to wear on him, with a home run to Jonathan Lucroy and a hit-by-pitch to Rougned Odor. Ultimately, though, he?d end the game with only three runs on four hits to mar his record.

HISSES:
Not in terms of play, but Kinsler left in the top of the fifth as a precaution, and was replaced by Andrew Romine. Kinsler was experiencing hamstring tightness, so rather than risk injury, he was pulled.
Romine then very nearly collided with J.D. Martinez in the sixth during a routine catch.

I am very surprised that this very the first time in Alex's career that he has batted 2nd. He has always had a decent OBP. I know I've seen guys on here calling for it in his previous stint with us.

And Nick had a nice game too. Hopefully these lineup changes did the trick.

I gotta say I couldn't be more surprised about Avilas hitting, if I woke up and found my head sewn to the carpet. I hope he keeps it up.

Back