Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 9: Detroit Tigers vs. Oakland A's 1:40 p.m. EST 4/7

But we do distinguish between the two in the end. The point is, there are times when they add up into runs, and times when they don’t. The A’s just had a lucky streak there; the Tigers haven’t; though the Tigers are shooting themselves in the foot right now with poor choices at the plate.
Not really. I don't care if Tork gets a single on a hit at 100 MPH or 60 MPH. And I'll certainly take a hit at 60 MPH than a long fly out at 100 MPH.

barrels through 8 games +
Meadows 1
Tork ZERO
Greene 3
Carp 2
Keith 2
Canha 3

Regardless of luck Boyle was wild early and the Tigers hit like shit 3 through 5 to start the game.

This is a very poor effort from the hitters today

As opposed to two bloop singles and a ground ball triple. There’s your difference in luck.
I'm not arguing that there isn't luck involved. I'm stating that it is a huge part of baseball. Sometimes you have it (a lot in the first 7 games) and sometimes you don't.

Why do they play like shit every time they play this AAA team?

If you don’t think luck is involved when you have sequences of bloops and weak ground balls that yield multiple runs, you are just being obstinate. I stated that Oakland had a lot of luck in having those elements line up today. If you don’t want to recognize that, fine. None of these hitters are Tony Gwynn.

If you don’t think luck is involved when you have sequences of bloops and weak ground balls that yield multiple runs, you are just being obstinate. I stated that Oakland had a lot of luck in having those elements line up today. If you don’t want to recognize that, fine. None of these hitters are Tony Gwynn.
Luck is there. But you seem to quanify luck based on if a ball is hit hard or not.

Luck is there. But you seem to quanify luck based on if a ball is hit hard or not.
Not true. There isn’t a team out there that does consistently well hitting soft contact bloops that aren’t solidly hit (which isn’t the same thing as pure power). But every team does have sequences when you get lucky with hits resulting from poor contact. Oakland got that for their first four runs. It doesn’t always work out that way. That is called luck.

Not true. There isn’t a team out there that does consistently well hitting soft contact bloops that aren’t solidly hit (which isn’t the same thing as pure power). But every team does have sequences when you get lucky with hits resulting from poor contact. Oakland got that for their first four runs. It doesn’t always work out that way. That is called luck.
I'd call it hitting it where the balls pitched rather than trying to hit HR every time up. Soft hit balls are not necessary poor contact.

I'd call it hitting it where the balls pitched rather than trying to hit HR every time up. Soft hit balls are not necessary poor contact.
Glancing bloops that fall in between the outfield and low velocity ground balls that evade the infielders are usually lucky hits that were the result of a swing that didn’t do what the batter tried to do. The exception would be hitting against the shift. But n the other hand, Tom made a good point; making solid contact brings the best results in the end, particularly in a big ballpark. I wish our hitters were doing more of that. Which of course is an easier thing to say than to realize.

Just got home . Least the Red Wings won. Frustrating how bad we play against the A’s. I can see it in a few of those years since 2015. But the last three seasons the A’s are even badder than the Tigers are. Wish we would start hitting.

Back