Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Game 99 Tigers vs. angles July 24, 2014

Weeeeeeeelllp here go boys batten down the hatches and hide the women and children

Very nice! Another W. Tigers up 7 games over second place Kansas City who beat the Indians in 14 innings earlier.

Guys, I think I know why Soria sat down: he knocked out Nathan and is out there wearing a Joe Nathan mask. In the post-game, Soria is gonna rip off the mask and reveal Nathan tied up in his locker.

Last edited:
I gotta admit, I did not see us winning this game after we went down 3-1 because I thought Richards was gonna shut us down. I'm really glad I was wrong! WOO TIGERS

I gotta admit, I did not see us winning this game after we went down 3-1 because I thought Richards was gonna shut us down. I'm really glad I was wrong! WOO TIGERS

I was a bit forlorn myself. This was a good team win. They seem to focus against the best teams.

Nice outing by Nathan, but he's done this before. Strikes out the side to close a game, and next game blows it.

I'd still like to see a change made. Out with the old (literally) in with the new.

7th straight multi-hit game for Ajax. Seems he hits best as a leadoff hitter.

Funny, I remember people saying the same thing in May about him hitting 5th.

The wonders of samples.

Jackson is a streaky hitter, I don't think it makes one bit of difference where he hits in the order, and he only leads off once a game anyways.

The wonders of samples.

Jackson is a streaky hitter, I don't think it makes one bit of difference where he hits in the order, and he only leads off once a game anyways.

He has opined that he has changed his approach now that he is leading off. Torii Hunter has commented that he (Ajax) is not a lower in the order power hitter. It just isn't his game.

Small samples don't mean much when he has done something for the first time in his career. No matter how "hot" he has been in the past he's never done this. Stats are cool but these are humans. They get feeling confident and start seeing the ball better. They lose confidence and start pressing. The sterility of the numbers are representative of some very messy human situations during games.

The game can be illustrated in the agate but it is played real-time with unlimited variability.

Last edited:
While it is true he is only guaranteed to leadoff once in a game - a player's role changes based on where he is in the lineup. Batting in front of Miguel means get on base any way possible. Hitting behind 3 4 and 5 means hitting with more power to try and get the slow running people hom and to get yourself in scoring position because the guys behind you don't hit like the heart of the order.

I went to bed at that score, nice to wake up to a Tigers Win.

The wonders of samples.

Normally I would agree with you that it shouldn't matter where he bats. However, Jackson, based on statistics, is overwhelmingly the best option to lead off against RHP. With that said, I believe he pressed too much when he wasn't in the leadoff position.

Back