Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Goff

kdp1980

He?s been really good for us over the last 2 seasons. But does anybody think he?s our qb next season, or that there?s a chance of him getting another contract with the Lions? I do not. It?s no knock on Goff, i just think HH was drafted for a reason, and that his abilities are exactly what the Lions GM and coaches want the Lions O to be

He?s been really good for us over the last 2 seasons. But does anybody think he?s our qb next season, or that there?s a chance of him getting another contract with the Lions? I do not. It?s no knock on Goff, i just think HH was drafted for a reason, and that his abilities are exactly what the Lions GM and coaches want the Lions O to be

I don't know if the Lions "core" is good enough to allow an unproven guy like HH to take them to "Super Bowl contender".

Hooker will have growing pains to let him be the guy in 2024

Goff will be our starter in 2024 barring an epic meltdown the rest of this season

2025 though, now then it gets interesting. Hooker 2 years cheap and they could bring in competition too

No way they give Goff a 5-year deal. But a 2-year deal after 2024 at the right price, him knowing that's his best chance to start could get it done. Sure there would be ways for the Lions to have some outs after 2025 too and maybe use the 5 year rule still for any signing bonus with void years. An extension that actually lower's Goff's 2024 31 million cap hit but it's only a 2 year extension (2025/2026) with outs can work. And alot depends on what happens with Ben Johnson and who the new OC is in 2024.

4yr $180mil coming Goffs way this offseason from Holmes.

4yr $180mil coming Goffs way this offseason from Holmes.

I just don't see that long term of a commitment past 2025/2026 for Goff. Can still use void years to really lower his cap hit in 2024/2025 but some dead in 2026 or 2027 then

I would not commit long term to Goff with a big contract at this point. He's been very good, but we have to be realistic. He's mainly been good when things "go right" which means he's protected by our great offensive line, the ground game is a threat, and when he plays at home/indoors. If any of those things aren't true he's been very ordinary to sometimes quite bad (see Thanksgiving). I think there are other guys who can step in and do a similar job if they're getting the same kind of elite pass protection Goff usually gets. He's not carrying the team by himself, it's the entire offensive unit right now that's carrying the team as a whole.

Other guys are going to need to be signed like Sewell, Hutch, and St. Brown too. Need to really think about long term planning here. Of course there's still the rest of this season to play out so depending how Goff performs and how far the Lions ultimately go will be a major factor.

Last edited:
I wouldn?t give him a long term deal. But he?ll demand one?.which he should. I?d let this year play out, to be honest. It is becoming clear why McVay wanted an upgrade over Goff. He?s a statue in there?.cannot extend plays with his legs?. and cannot make throws off platform to save his life. Without elite protection, Goff is an average quarterback that will commit too many turnovers. But, given a clean pocket?.he?s probably top 6 or 7 in terms of making the right read, getting it out quickly, and throwing a good ball. He CAN be really good.

But the Lions are in a really tough spot with Goff. He?s a leader in the clubhouse and played as well as he can for a good 35 game stretch. Not perfect, but damn good football. As it should be?.he?ll want a 5+ year deal in the $40M per range. If you?re the Lions and you let him go?..what message does that send? Who are you replacing him with? What would the fan base think to take a step or 2 BACKWARDS in order for a new QB to adjust?

Tough call for Holmes and Campbell. Really tough.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of giving qbs 45mil a year plus that haven't won anything. I guess you wait n see if goff wins a playoff game this year.

I wanted us to take hooker in the top 10 before he ripped his knee apart. He was every bit as good as stroud. You coach him up so he's a quality starter next year and thats 4-6 quality starters you can afford to fix your oline and defense.

FOUR - SIX!!! .. and you have a rookie contact qb for 3+ years.

Ben Johnson potentially leaving.

There's alot to go into this decision... start doing your hw on Hooker now. See what ya got. Cause if goff continues fumbling every time he gets touched.... you absolutely drop him.

Lastly... you need to extend sewell and st brown. How do you pay them and goff? I pay both of them before goff.

Last edited:
you really think he is every bit as good as Stroud?

He was better than Stroud in college. Legit #1 Heisman candidate before he got hurt. That doesn't mean much now... gotta show he can do it in the nfl.

Last edited:
He was better than Stroud in college. Legit #1 Heisman candidate before he got hurt. That doesn't mean much now... gotta show he can do it in the nfl.

That's really interesting. I haven't really considered him as a long term option. That would a huge bonus if he was a viable #1. I also agree on Goff. He's a good QB, but not going to be worth what he'll get in the open market. He is deadly...until you move him off his spot. It would be nice to have a guy back there who can move a little better and make plays when things don't all get blocked according to plan.

Think Hooker could be long term. Goff is still the guy for 2024 though

Lions have an Oline built to help Goff succeed and probably the only reason he is success. Most QBs need a good Oline, not all but most.

Gonna be interesting once Ben Johnson becomes a HC, got guard FAs next year, Josh Reynolds a FA, Decker getting up there in age but still good, though I think has two years left. And monitoring Ragnow injuries a thing every year with that toe (and now knee)

But get the defense better (top 10) and then Goff can make some mistakes and we still win. Heck we are winning now with him not playing perfect and top 5 in PPG.

I'm not high on HH. If he was 3-4 years younger, I could see him as the future. But he is two years younger than Goff. I feel like we will lose two seasons if we go to HH.

Give Goff the extension he has earned. 4 years. And it proves to the locker room than the front office is loyal to players who produce.

Goff since week 7
10 tds
7 ints
6 fumbles lost

Time for a benching

I'm not high on HH. If he was 3-4 years younger, I could see him as the future. But he is two years younger than Goff. I feel like we will lose two seasons if we go to HH.

Give Goff the extension he has earned. 4 years. And it proves to the locker room than the front office is loyal to players who produce.

2 years younger than Goff with a better skill set. Goff has been abysmal for the last 7 weeks. Why should he get away with it? Teddy Bridgewater should be in the game if Goff makes 1 mistake early in the game next week. That?s where I?m at with Goff. He needs a timeout

Will be interesting this offseason for sure now

Goff did well early and is fading
What do they think about Hooker really could determine things. Will they ride with Goff in the last year of his contract and give him the hook for Hooker

Will be interesting this offseason for sure now

Goff did well early and is fading
What do they think about Hooker really could determine things. Will they ride with Goff in the last year of his contract and give him the hook for Hooker

I think it comes down to these last 4 games. If he pisses away the opportunity to make the playoffs, he?s done, and we might as well trade him for something in the offseason

I think it comes down to these last 4 games. If he pisses away the opportunity to make the playoffs, he?s done, and we might as well trade him for something in the offseason

Game one and Goff had 5 TDs and no turnovers. Hope he keeps it up.

Back