Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Hoops vs OSU

thewolverines24

Last road game of the year and another chance to play embarrassing basketball. Weather is very nice here in Indy and for some reason I'm going to waste my time, starting at 4 PM, watching us get our teeth kicked in on CBS. Maybe we'll set a new record and turn the ball over 30 times! Maybe we'll shoot under 20% from three! Maybe we'll give up 15+ offensive rebounds! So many possibilities for so much fun.

Hello Decade of Darkness my old friend. Go Blue.

Last edited:
No. Programs don't fire their coach with two games left. Even when/if they fire Howard, there's much bigger problems than the head coach. Need an athletic department that actually gives a shit about basketball.

No. Programs don't fire their coach with two games left. Even when/if they fire Howard, there's much bigger problems than the head coach. Need an athletic department that actually gives a shit about basketball.
Howard is one event from being in prison. So what happened with the strength and conditioning coach who split? Something with him, Howard and Howard's son.

I would like to be the first to welcome everyone to Decade of Darkness Part Deux: Electric Boogaloo.

Thanks for keeping the hoops threads going through these dark and wobegotten times.

You are truly a heroic first responder.

Also I think we’re kinda back to being a football school again, at least for now.

Go Blue.

Always and forever.

Go Blue.

Howard is one event from being in prison. So what happened with the strength and conditioning coach who split? Something with him, Howard and Howard's son.
I think it depends on how he lands the next blow.

If it’s closed fist then yes, my guess would be prison.

Another overhand slap?

Nah, no big. deal.

I think it depends on how he lands the next blow.

If it’s closed fist then yes, my guess would be prison.

Another overhand slap?

Nah, no big. deal.
He wouldn't go to prison for a punch either. He'd have to do a lot worse to actually end up in prison. I'm sure everyone here remembers Malice at the Palace. Not a single player went to jail, let alone prison.

He wouldn't go to prison for a punch either. He'd have to do a lot worse to actually end up in prison. I'm sure everyone here remembers Malice at the Palace. Not a single player went to jail, let alone prison.
I’m pretty sure MitchRapp was being hyperbolic about the coach being one melee away from prison, and my response in the same vein.

Sadly he is a horrible coach. He should resign but he won’t.
Bad roster builder. This is the least talented roster I've ever seen for Michigan hoops. We know he can coach Xs and Os. You don't win a B1G title, make the Elite 8 and two Sweet 16s if you just can't coach.

It's clear he lost this team this season. They aren't listening to anything. I think the Dug suspension has a ton to do with that (and the fact that Dug is the only one on the team who can dribble). Everything got exponentially worse once rumors of him being suspended started. Defense was abhorrent from game one, so I'm not surprised that continued all season.

I don't think a new hire helps much in roster building either. Who is out there that is going to move the needle for donors to finally put some real NIL into the program? Porter Moser (OU), Lamont Paris (Wisconsin roots, so vomit), Josh Shertz (ISU), Kyle Smith (WSU), TJ Otzelberger ($17M buyout at ISU), Nate Oats (lol), Greg McDermott (nearing a lifetime contract with Creighton)? So who is the big hire? Take a huge gamble on Shertz and his offensive system? It's a great system, but the BIG is a HUGE step up.

Last edited:
Bad roster builder. This is the least talented roster I've ever seen for Michigan hoops. We know he can coach Xs and Os. You don't win a B1G title, make the Elite 8 and two Sweet 16s if you just can't coach.

It's clear he lost this team this season. They aren't listening to anything. I think the Dug suspension has a ton to do with that (and the fact that Dug is the only one on the team who can dribble). Everything got exponentially worse once rumors of him being suspended started. Defense was abhorrent from game one, so I'm not surprised that continued all season.

I don't think a new hire helps much in roster building either. Who is out there that is going to move the needle for donors to finally put some real NIL into the program? Porter Moser (OU), Lamont Paris (Wisconsin roots, so vomit), Josh Shertz (ISU), Kyle Smith (WSU), TJ Otzelberger ($17M buyout at ISU), Nate Oats (lol), Greg McDermott (nearing a lifetime contract with Creighton)? So who is the big hire? Take a huge gamble on Shertz and his offensive system? It's a great system, but the BIG is a HUGE stTh
The core of Howard's Big Ten team was still JB recruits and coached up by the man himself + Hunter Dickinson who really didn't need much coaching.

I don't know what Juwan Howard can do well, but he seems bad in all aspects of the game: team morale, coaching his team, and recruiting. Up until this year, the coaching staff stayed together, but I wonder if Martelli and Washington leave soon.

Sanderson left, and based on the accounts of the incident, it seems he was right to do so, especially since Warde backed Howard over him and declined to issue any discipline:
Athletic director Warde Manuel said in a Dec. 15 statement that a "thorough internal review" did not uncover anything that warranted disciplinary action for anyone involved.
According to an account I read, Howard's kid was berating a trainer, and when Sanderson stood up for his staffer, Howard came charging at him and had to be restrained. How that did not warrant disciplinary action, especially given Howard's record, is bizarre.

Warde needs to be shown the door at the same time as Howard.

Only one more game to go. With the loss to OSU, team is 8-22 and Howard has definitely clinched the worst record in school history.

Beilein's 10-22 first season was the worst, but in context, was forgiveable, given what he inherited. And he miraculously took us to the NCAA tournament in his 2nd season, our first in over 10 brutal years.

The core of the 2020-21 team was a mixed bag of Juwan and JB guys. Franz was not a JB recruit. You can even look back at the fact the coaching staff thought we had lost him after JB left for the Cavs. The assistants and Juwan brough him in. Did Moe's experience at Michigan help? Without a doubt, but Franz still had to be convinced.

Best players that year were Hunter, Franz, Livers (who was hurt for March Madness), Eli Brooks, Mike Smith, and Chaundee Brown. Hunter, Franz, Mike, and Chaundee were all Juwan guys. Eli Brooks was basically unplayable until he improved greatly under Juwan. Exact same thing can be said of Austin Davis who provided some valuable minutes off the bench in 20-21.

I am not advocating for keeping Juwan. I don't think there is a path forward to success here. I just don't have a clue what coach can provide a path to success. Donors do not care about the program so NIL is going to continue to lag way behind. That's why I'm leaning towards bringing a guy like Schertz who has a great offensive system. Going to have to lean on a system guy until Michigan wakes up and realizes you can't keep treating the program like pre-NIL days.

NIL will be bring down college athletics eventually. And be able to transfer at a whim and play right away for more NIL money elsewhere - just all bad. Guys getting NIL, year later transfer, more NIL, transfer more NIL.

NIL will be bring down college athletics eventually. And be able to transfer at a whim and play right away for more NIL money elsewhere - just all bad. Guys getting NIL, year later transfer, more NIL, transfer more NIL.
NIL is in its infancy. Players deserve to earn money off their name and the market will eventually settle. It's not going to stay the wild west. Hopefully revenue sharing with players comes into play and that helps settle the NIL market.

NIL is in its infancy. Players deserve to earn money off their name and the market will eventually settle. It's not going to stay the wild west. Hopefully revenue sharing with players comes into play and that helps settle the NIL market.
I don't believe they do deserve to earn money.. They already get free room and board and education from 30-50+k a year. It's hard enough to recruit normally and now you have to have the highest NIL deals to get players. And the old boring excuse, "well the players make the university a ton of money." No they don't. If Michigan football wins 12 games, 6 games or 0 games they make money.. Lots of it. 2 star recruits or 5 star recruits, the University makes money. Players don't add to that at all..

I don't believe they do deserve to earn money.. They already get free room and board and education from 30-50+k a year. It's hard enough to recruit normally and now you have to have the highest NIL deals to get players. And the old boring excuse, "well the players make the university a ton of money." No they don't. If Michigan football wins 12 games, 6 games or 0 games they make money.. Lots of it. 2 star recruits or 5 star recruits, the University makes money. Players don't add to that at all..
Why do coaches and athletic directors deserve to earn money?

Back