Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

How times have changed

Monster

Forum Manager
Detroit Lions
Detroit Tigers
Detroit Pistons
Detroit Red Wings
Michigan Wolverines
Sacramento Kings
Michigan Wolverines
Detroit Pistons
It's strange. We used to watch sports and really only got a small glimpse into our favorite players' lives...if any at all. Now since facebook and twitter have come along, we get things like this.

On facebook Evan smotrycz said: who took the kitten poster off our wall...Tim is sad give it back

Coltan Christian: karma

Evan: i know it was u colt i gave u back dem jawns chung!

Colton: naw g it wadnt me doe!

Evan: i have a hunch u were an accomplice

I mean, come on! I know it's simple, but it's easy to forget that these guys are still kids.

You know you are getting old when you understand about half of that conversation.

I see better grammar out of my third graders. How did they qualify for Michigan? It saddens me to see the state of American education. Also, they better give that kitten poster back.

Ron Swanson said:
I see better grammar out of my third graders. How did they qualify for Michigan? It saddens me to see the state of American education. Also, they better give that kitten poster back.

Your kidding right? Its intentional.

Ron Swanson said:

kitty.png

jrange378 said:
Ron Swanson said:

Total lack of periods & spelling is intentional? I don't know what's worse, actually being stupid or intentionally trying to make yourself look this way. Best of luck in your life after sports. That UofM degree won't do you a lot of good when your resume looks like a first grader wrote it. Text lingo is all well and good, but the problem is that it has bled into the actual writing styles of kids. My step mom is a college professor at BGSU and you wouldn't believe some of the stuff kids put in their papers.

"The world needs ditch diggers too."

You'd be shocked.

My brother's fiance is a recruiter and she showed us a few "sample" resumes and applications. It's as if the 'younger generation' now entering the work force thinks TXT TLK is perfectly acceptable English in a business or professional realm.

Whether improperly spelled, slang or text/message board slang, it's absurd what is happening to the level of articulation (or lack thereof).

TheVictors03 said:
You'd be shocked.

My brother's fiance is a recruiter and she showed us a few "sample" resumes and applications. It's as if the 'younger generation' now entering the work force thinks TXT TLK is perfectly acceptable English in a business or professional realm.

Whether improperly spelled, slang or text/message board slang, it's absurd what is happening to the level of articulation (or lack thereof).

Amen.

Ron Swanson said:
TheVictors03 said:
You'd be shocked.

Amen.

Don't you mean ..... True Dat, Yo!

Ron Swanson said:
jrange378 said:

Total lack of periods & spelling is intentional? I don't know what's worse, actually being stupid or intentionally trying to make yourself look this way. Best of luck in your life after sports. That UofM degree won't do you a lot of good when your resume looks like a first grader wrote it. Text lingo is all well and good, but the problem is that it has bled into the actual writing styles of kids. My step mom is a college professor at BGSU and you wouldn't believe some of the stuff kids put in their papers.

Oh I agree, I was just saying that its intentional.

jrange378 said:
Ron Swanson said:

But that's the thing. I don't know that it is entirely. Do I think that these guys probably know that said is not spelled sad? Yes, probably. But when they write their English Comp. papers and spell it that way on purpose/accident, and spell check doesn't catch it, they come off looking like idiots.

I don't know. I'm 32, so I'm officially moving into that old guy zone where nothing that kids do make sense anymore. But I feel very strongly that kids today are dumber than they were 20 years ago.

Not when it comes to technology. 13yr old cousin knows how to use a cell phone better than my mom.

Some of you are about my moms age, do any of you have a thing agaisnt a person texting a lot? Because my mom acts like its the biggest sin in the world. Annd I have no clue why.

Maize&Cheese304 said:
Not when it comes to technology. 13yr old cousin knows how to use a cell phone better than my mom.

Some of you are about my moms age, do any of you have a thing agaisnt a person texting a lot? Because my mom acts like its the biggest sin in the world. Annd I have no clue why.

I don't mind texting. Lord knows I do it plenty. What I think is horrible is people who text while having a conversation with you. In mid sentence, they will pull out their phone and answer a text. It's like they think because they aren't talking, that you don't know they stopped listening to you. So fucking rude. Makes me want to throw their phone into a lake.

I was interviewing a guy at my school for an instructional aide job, and his phone kept going off with texts. He didn't bother to apologize or silence it, and after the third one, I asked if he needed to get it. He responded with, "Naw man. It's coo."

"Yeah, I think we're done here."

I was just talking to a friend about how hard it would be to be a recruit in today's age. Shane Morris talks to a lot of the guys we are recruiting for the 12 class and several times tells all the go blue faithful to show them some love. You know when that happens that kid then gets thousands of tweets at a time from Michigan fans and other schools.

on a side note my daughter who is 14 wrote an entire book report using text and tweet and slang language. At which point we had the chat about the proper place and time for it and I made her redo it.

Ron Swanson said:
jrange378 said:

But that's the thing. I don't know that it is entirely. Do I think that these guys probably know that said is not spelled sad? Yes, probably. But when they write their English Comp. papers and spell it that way on purpose/accident, and spell check doesn't catch it, they come off looking like idiots.

I don't know. I'm 32, so I'm officially moving into that old guy zone where nothing that kids do make sense anymore. But I feel very strongly that kids today are dumber than they were 20 years ago.

Thirdty too, I's thank u mean fity to. Its called get my dawg to poof reads it fir me.

lostleader said:
Ron Swanson said:

Thirdty too, I's thank u mean fity to. Its called get my dawg to poof reads it fir me.

That actually hurt my head to write that.

Maize&Cheese304 said:

A sin? That's a little harsh, no?

Maize&Cheese304 said:

Probably because she thinks it's one of the root causes for the problems mentioned above. If there's a sudden spike in the number of people that cannot communicate properly in a professional environment, it's probably not because the human genome changed and the number of idiots is on the rise. We changed the developmental environment.

...and it's probably not a problem with too much texting anyway. It's the fact the person isn't tuned into the people around her. If a texter and a non-texter are in a room or a car together, but due to the texting, the non-texter is functionally alone, that's going to be frustrating.

Back