Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Is a First Round Playoff Bye An Advantage?

tinselwolverine

I?m not really convinced it is.

Baseball is a rhythm game.

We all remember watching the Tigers lose two World Series in relatively recent years after long layoffs between the ALCS and the WS.

I read a breakdown on how often things of this nature happen, although I don?t want to look it up right now.

I?m not really convinced it is.

Baseball is a rhythm game.

We all remember watching the Tigers lose two World Series in relatively recent years after long layoffs between the ALCS and the WS.

I read a breakdown on how often things of this nature happen, although I don?t want to look it up right now.
Playoff Bye wasn't implemented until last season. As with anything pros and cons. Con Layoff, Pros injuries and allowing a team to order their SP just right/rest.

If I'm a hitter who is hitting well, that last thing I want to do is stop hitting. If I'm hitting poorly, that last thing I want to do is stop trying to hit better.

So I'd want to not have a hiatus after playing baseball constantly since March.

1st game Texas at TB, attendance 19,704 - the lowest playoff game attendance since 1919. Dang. And they they're going to have a new stadium built in time for 2028. Maybe one day they will realize people in that area don't want to spend that kind of money to go to a game. In season, or playoffs.

Texas eliminates Tampa Bay 2-0.
Twins eliminates Toronto 2-0

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2023/10/10/watercooler-wednesday-105/
WATERCOOLER WEDNESDAY.
Totally Tigers

The MLB playoffs are here but not without controversy. The airwaves and online reports are full of discussions about how the games are structured. Of greatest concern is whether they are unfair to the best teams.

Now in its second year, the new format gives the top 2 teams from each league a bye through the wild card round as well as home field advantage in the best of 5 division series. However, the logic involved does not appear to be working.

The lower-ranked teams have won 5 out of the past 8 series over the 2-year span.

Many are pointing to the layoff and then facing the 2 best pitchers of their opponent. Instead of giving the best teams an advantage, it is working against them.

It?s the addition of a best of 3 wild card series that is creating the biggest controversy. It has created, in some cases, a 5-day layoff for teams with byes. Five days of not playing. An increase of 2 days over the old system that was used from 2012 through 2021.

But what is also being noticed is that home team advantage does not offer the benefits most thought it would. So far, more than half of the teams in the playoffs have suffered their losses at home.

What do you think? Is the premise of this newly updated system a good one? Or should MLB once again change the playoff schedule so there is less down time for the better teams?

Let?s kick start some good discussion threads here ? and to take with you wherever you go during the rest of the week.

Should MLB change the current playoff rules once again?

1. Yes, change the rules.

2. No, keep them.

Vote

Back