Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Jonathan Smith Reported As New Coach

JScottWriter

I like the hire, he turned around a bad OSU team. Hopefully he can do the same here. I saw that he will have a larger assistant coaching money pool than Tucker has. Hopefully he spends the money better that Mel did. Not sure if he will bring a lot of his players over since they won?t be in a Power 5 next year.

Honestly probably as good of a hire as we could have hoped for given the current state of the program. Clean house top to bottom and get the ball rolling.

I like the hire, he turned around a bad OSU team. Hopefully he can do the same here. I saw that he will have a larger assistant coaching money pool than Tucker has. Hopefully he spends the money better that Mel did. Not sure if he will bring a lot of his players over since they won?t be in a Power 5 next year.

Mel set a very low bar, on and off the field.

seems like a good hire. I think he should be able to turn things around relatively quickly.

Other than being reminded of the last John Smith we had it seems like a good hire.

Interesting hire. I was kinda hoping it would be Leipold but Smith is probably at least on par with him. I?m glad it wasn?t Elko or Huff and I was really worried Haller would change course and try to bring in Jimbo Fisher - glad to see he?s not that dumb.

Looking forward to J2x explaining why we CHOSE Smith over Urban Meyer (and everyone else) and why it was the smartest move, ?Smith comin?, etc, etc.

I just hope Meyer doesn?t take the uofm job and take out his revenge on us every year for snubbing him.

Last edited:
Heard the OL and TE coach will be coming with him.

Would be nice to see him bring Bray as well. Hazelton has to go and the OSU defense has been really solid under him.

Edit: It would be great to see a complete tear down and rebuild of the staff with the possible exception of Courtney Hawkins. Dont think any of them would be missed.

Last edited:
Would be nice to see him bring Bray as well. Hazelton has to go and the OSU defense has been really solid under him.

Edit: It would be great to see a complete tear down and rebuild of the staff with the possible exception of Courtney Hawkins. Dont think any of them would be missed.

Barnett claimed he was staying, but then backed off later. I see zero reason to retain him.

As far as the Smith hire, I haven't seen any names for OC. Does he call his own plays?

Barnett claimed he was staying, but then backed off later. I see zero reason to retain him.

As far as the Smith hire, I haven't seen any names for OC. Does he call his own plays?

I feel bad for Barnett - seems like he bleeds green & white. Unfortunately he?s just not a good position coach, coordinator or head coach.

I don?t know how Smith manages games. He?s a former QB so I assume he?s more involved in the offense from day-to-day but don?t know who calls the plays in-game.

Edit: Just saw a piece from SpartanWire (whatever that is) that says Smith is bringing his OC with him so at least we know we won?t have to suffer through any more of Jay Johnson?s infuriating, inept offenses.

I?m staying away from making any predictions - I?ll leave that to J2x, he should be done reading his insiders premium content soon enough. I haven?t followed this too closely, just crossing my fingers that Haller didn?t embarrass the program and university more than he has. Hopefully Smith and Lindgren can convince leavitt to stay, attract some portal talent and maybe even develop some of the players we have.

Last edited:
I saw he was bringing like 5 or 6 of his guys. I think the DC is the interim so he won?t be available until after the bowl game if he?s not offered the permanent job. I?m sure he will bring some of his players and we will lose some of ours. I saw the qb just put some weird emoji so who knows and one of their better players said he was staying. I also saw our 8 recruits liked the hire but who knows if they will all stay.

I saw he was bringing like 5 or 6 of his guys. I think the DC is the interim so he won?t be available until after the bowl game if he?s not offered the permanent job. I?m sure he will bring some of his players and we will lose some of ours. I saw the qb just put some weird emoji so who knows and one of their better players said he was staying. I also saw our 8 recruits liked the hire but who knows if they will all stay.

As you said before, recruiting is basically starting over including retaining what?s left of the ?24 class.

Not sure why his current players would stay - even if they don?t come with him, what?s the future of OSU football? Who are they playing next year? How much exposure are they going to get? I can see not wanting to come to a 4-8 shit show but there?s a reason your coach is leaving a top 25 team to come to a 4-8 team. They should all at least be looking.

Last edited:
As you said before, recruiting is basically starting over including retaining what?s left of the ?24 class.

Not sure why his current players would stay - even if they don?t come with him, what?s the future of OSU football? Who are they playing next year? How much exposure are they going to get? I can see not wanting to come to a 4-8 shit show but there?s a reason your coach is leaving a top 25 team to come to a 4-8 team. They should all at least be looking.

Yeah with the uncertainty at OSU I have no idea why you would stay unless it was your favorite school growing up or you just really love the school. I hope some of their OL come to MSU.

Solid hire. He was someone we targeted early as being a top candidate. I thought he would want to stay at Oregon State, but they're heading to Football Siberia and he wanted to be at MSU. It wasn't really a choice of OSU or us, it nwas a choice of one more year at OSU and leave for a big program, or leave for us right now.

Smith, Elko, and Liepold werre the top 3 candidates. Smith emerged as the #1 guy 5 or 6 weeks ago. Really a great fit for MSU and what we want to build here.

Urban was interviewed and donors made overtures that they'd pony up what was necessary, but he wasn't trying to get back into coaching just yet, or he'd probably have taken the TAMU job.

Elko is bringing several coaches with him. OL and TE coaches are considered elite and they are here already. DBs and RB coaches are considered good and good recruiters and are here. OC/QB coach is decent and takes direction from Smith for the offense. We got the strength coach too and he's supposed to be a difference maker. Didn't get the DC, he's a really good up and coming guy, but Oregon State is trying to make him the head coach to retain him.

And it looks like Aidan Chiles, 4 star QB, #60 overall in the 2023 class is part of the package. He went to OSU for Smith and the OC, and is very likely coming to MSU to follow them.

Courtney Hawkins is being retained as WR coach. Salgado might get an interview as cornerbacks coach. Everyone else was fired. Harlon Barnett might stay on as an analyst/advisor, he will not have a coaching role.

Last edited:
Solid hire. He was someone we targeted early as being a top candidate. I thought he would want to stay at Oregon State, but they're heading to Football Siberia and he wanted to be at MSU. It wasn't really a choice of OSU or us, it nwas a choice of one more year at OSU and leave for a big program, or leave for us right now.

Smith, Elko, and Liepold werre the top 3 candidates. Smith emerged as the #1 guy 5 or 6 weeks ago. Really a great fit for MSU and what we want to build here.

Urban was interviewed and donors made overtures that they'd pony up what was necessary, but he wasn't trying to get back into coaching just yet, or he'd probably have taken the TAMU job.

Elko is bringing several coaches with him. OL and TE coaches are considered elite and they are here already. DBs and RB coaches are considered good and good recruiters and are here. OC/QB coach is decent and takes direction from Smith for the offense. We got the strength coach too and he's supposed to be a difference maker. Didn't get the DC, he's a really good up and coming guy, but Oregon State is trying to make him the head coach to retain him.

And it looks like Aidan Chiles, 4 star QB, #60 overall in the 2023 class is part of the package. He went to OSU for Smith and the OC, and is very likely coming to MSU to follow them.

Courtney Hawkins is being retained as WR coach. Salgado might get an interview as cornerbacks coach. Everyone else was fired. Harlon Barnett might stay on as an analyst/advisor, he will not have a coaching role.

I'm too lazy to check but this reads like a copy and paste, find/replace of your post Tucker hire recap. The piece I read said Elko pulled himself out of consideration around the time Fisher was fired and it didn't even mention Leipold interviewing - if he did he's been out of the running for a while because the final 4 were Smith, Elko, Fisch and Candle.

I'm too lazy to check but this reads like a copy and paste, find/replace of your post Tucker hire recap. The piece I read said Elko pulled himself out of consideration around the time Fisher was fired and it didn't even mention Leipold interviewing - if he did he's been out of the running for a while because the final 4 were Smith, Elko, Fisch and Candle.

That's definitely info from spartan tailgate. Those "insiders" are lucky to be 50/50 on a good day with their info.

That's definitely info from spartan tailgate. Those "insiders" are lucky to be 50/50 on a good day with their info.

it's only been 3 years so all the rehashed platitudes were obvious give-aways. Like 'he's a really a great fit for what we want to build here' and 'these guys are elite' and 'this guy is really solid' sounds like word-for-word what was said about Tucker. Copy, paste, find "Tucker" replace with "Smith"

Try ChatGPT next time - be a little original.

Last edited:
I'm still hopeful Trent Bray comes along after the bowl game as OSU's defense was actually the stronger unit. Why wouldn't he? I mean unless he has other opportunities, which he definitely could? Who wants to coach an independent with 7 games against the Mountain West or whatever their deal is? To me, that seems like an even bigger downgrade than a coordinator job at MSU right now.

At least now I kind of have some interest in bowl season - the anticipation of Bray and players making announcements after their game will pique my interest for a little bit at least. Hopefully by then, our hoops team will have remembered how to shoot and we can all move on for a couple months.

Last edited:
Back