Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Jordan or lebron?

Jordan or lebron?

• Jordan

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • Lebron

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters
Jordan negatives
1-9 without pippen
Swept by Celtics
Bad boys owned him prior to expansion draft

Lebron negatives
Dominated a very weak east
Couldn't do it in Cleveland until act 2
Miami super team

I'm no Lebron hater, he's a statistic machine and will probably pass Jordan in every offensive category.

But Jordan effected games like nobody I've ever seen and Lebron has disappeared in far more playoff games than Jordan. I can recall multiple games where Lebron scored less than 15 points. I don't remember Jordan ever doing that.

Disclaimer: I have no statistical evidence to back that up. If someone feels like digging up the numbers to prove me wrong, go for it. But I'm pretty confident.

It would be interesting to see Lebron in the bad boy era, plus the east in general back then - getting hit every time he touched.

Pippen spoke about it recently and I agree with him, it's too hard to compare. Almost impossible.

But Lebron is lazy as fudge on defense. That's the difference. Both great offensively.

The guy with the last shot I'd still want Zeke over both of them.

Jordan was great defensively..one of the best really. but lebron can guard all 5 positions. How the heck do you compare that?

Jordan was great defensively..one of the best really. but lebron can guard all 5 positions. How the heck do you compare that?

Not that complicated when lineups don't run as big as they used to. Your traditional 5 is all but phased out. Lebron would get backed into oblivion by the bigs of Jordan's time.

He might attempt to guard all but he is not a good defensive player. I've seen him just give up on plays.. All the time. He's lazy.

Scorer MJ
passer LBJ
rebounder LBJ
Defender MJ
FG% LBJ
FT% MJ
3pt % LBJ

knocks on LBJ- he is a great defender but takes plays off.

knocks on MJ- got kicked out of the NBA for gambling

These two guys are very different. MJ is more like Kobe and Lebron is like Magic. I prefer Lebron.

Lebron is not a great defender. It's like Jeter where he won defensive awards but based on offense. Not one year he deserved it.

Lebron is not a great defender. It's like Jeter where he won defensive awards but based on offense. Not one year he deserved it.

he is a great defender when he wants to be...but like you said...he takes plays off. Did you watch game 3?

he is a great defender when he wants to be...but like you said...he takes plays off. Did you watch game 3?

He takes a lot of plays off. I don't respect him for that. I believe he would have won more and not rely on his offense so much if he just gave a better effort on defense. He's great player, no doubt - but if I was building a team just based on today's players he wouldn't be the first guy I took.

He takes a lot of plays off. I don't respect him for that. I believe he would have won more and not rely on his offense so much if he just gave a better effort on defense. He's great player, no doubt - but if I was building a team just based on today's players he wouldn't be the first guy I took.

I wouldn't either...because of his age...not because of his defense.

I wouldn't either...because of his age...not because of his defense.

Even if age wasn't a concern. This might be just me, but I don't see him making other players better. Like I would expect from other greats.

LeBron is a machine on both ends of the court. He's an amazing scorer, assist maker and defender. He would physically manhandle Jordan in a game of one-on-one. If he takes the occasional play off, which I question, it's because he's playing 40-45 minutes a game and he played in all 82 of them this year. His 15th, by the way.

Having said that, Jordan is the best we'll ever see. He was a flat out assassin. The Bulls could be down by eight with a minute to play and it just didn't matter, they were going to win. Nobody in the history of the game had a greater will to win and that's what separates MJ from every other player.

Last edited:
The Bulls could be down by eight with a minute to play and it just didn't matter, they were going to win. Nobody in the history of the game had a greater will to win and that's what separates MJ from every other player.

this is the kind of statement people make about Jordan, but they are just not true. Down 8 with a minute to go and they were going to win? My guess is you could probably count on one hand the number of times MJ did something like that...probably a similar amount that Lebron's teams have had. People like to romanticize about the past, and what happens, things get exaggerated.

this is the kind of statement people make about Jordan, but they are just not true. Down 8 with a minute to go and they were going to win? My guess is you could probably count on one hand the number of times MJ did something like that...probably a similar amount that Lebron's teams have had. People like to romanticize about the past, and what happens, things get exaggerated.

I get what you're saying but Jordan was truly exceptional at the end of the quarter, at the end of the half and at the end of the game. He willed his team to victory like no other, in my opinion. I saw it happen over and over and over.

The thing about about Jordon without Pippen is the teams that they were competing with, Boston & Detroit were dominate at the time.

Though I'd take Dr. J. That guy was truly amazing.

Back