Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

JR Smith probably just cost the Cavs game 1

I don't like Lebron on Houston either. I don't like Harden's game with Lebron.

Like with CP3, I'm guessing they would stagger their stars pretty heavily. And I'm not sure why they couldn't mesh, Harden is basically Dwyane Wade with a 3-pt shot. Harden played off the ball plenty in OKC and clearly fits fine next to another ball-dominant player in CP3. Lebron's teams have historically struggled to score once Lebron goes to the bench (this was even partially true next to Wade). That's simply not an issue in Houston.

Now I can see how having three ball-dominant players means all of them probably have to give up a little control, but they are all savvy enough to figure it out. The fact that all three are average to good outside shooters and GREAT passers means playing off one another gets everyone better looks. That's actually a pretty big difference between those three and a superstar like Russell Westbrook (spiritual successor to Wade - can't function well without the ball in his hands).

Last edited:
Well that was a 4-0 sweep. I wonder if The warriors lose to Houston if Paul didn’t get hurt ?
Great team 3 titles in 4 years. Pistons should have had that joe dang it, and refs ..

Well that was a 4-0 sweep. I wonder if The warriors lose to Houston if Paul didn?t get hurt ?
Great team 3 titles in 4 years. Pistons should have had that joe dang it, and refs ..

I'm betting a healthy Paul gives Houston the championship. They were up in both game 6 and 7 without him, but just couldn't close the deal. I don't give Cleveland much better of a chance against Houston than GS.

Durant with a triple double on an off shooting night. Seals his 2nd consecutive Finals MVP.

Also, remember when Kevin love used to put up 20/20 games like they were going out of style in Minnesota? Seems like so, so long ago. He has dropped off so hard since joining Lebron. He was supposed to be LBJ's Scottie Pippen.

Also, remember when Kevin love used to put up 20/20 games like they were going out of style in Minnesota? Seems like so, so long ago. He has dropped off so hard since joining Lebron. He was supposed to be LBJ's Scottie Pippen.

My one complaint and many will disagree but I don't see Lebron making others around him better.

A side note I don't like all the greats chasing a title. They can't get it done with their current team to they go to a better team. That's the NBA way now but I think it sucks.

My one complaint and many will disagree but I don't see Lebron making others around him better.

It's kind of crazy because LBJ is a really good passer, but I would have a hard time arguing with you. There was actually an article last week that used some stats and metrics and came up with Lebron's teammates being 6% worse than their previous season/team.

I think he needs perimeter shooters who spread the floor with their range, that play good defense and players that don't need the ball in their hands consistently to create offense. Think Klay Thompson types. Shane Battier comes to mind, he did amazing with Lebron.

Last edited:
Lebron says he was playing with a broken hand for games 2-4 after punching a backboard following JR Smith's game 1 debacle.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/23739593/lebron-james-cleveland-cavaliers-played-significant-hand-injury

Cleveland Cavaliers star LeBron James played the last three games of the NBA Finals with a significant and "self-inflicted" right hand injury following the team's Game 1 overtime loss in Oakland.

Sources told ESPN that the injury was the result of James' punching a blackboard in the locker room after that game.

"I let the emotions get the best of me and pretty much played the last three games with a broken hand," James said following Friday's Game 4 loss to the Golden State Warriors.

James had two MRIs during the series and wore a soft cast when he wasn't practicing, playing or in view of the media, sources said, so as not to give the Warriors a competitive advantage.

I don't think Philly is a good fit for him. Other than Embiid, I don't see how he fits with Philly's other core players. Simmons and Fultz can't shoot at all, Redick and Saric can't defend. Philly is already overloaded at SF and PF. Covington takes a lot if threes and defends well, but he's not really a good shooter and he plays the same position as LeBron.

Philly certainly gets better with LeBron, but they don't really look like a legitimate challenger to golden state (or Houston). Houston is already built for a LeBron like presence. They have defenders, they have shooters, they have great coaching, and they have guys who can legitimately give LeBron a break without the offense falling apart.

At this point, LeBron is probably focused on rings. He's got a better chance at winning it all with Houston than Philly by a long shot.

I can't see Lebron and Simmons meshing very well. 2 ball dominant point forwards? If Lebron chose Philly I'd bet they trade Simmons, which long term isn't a good move for Philly.

I can't see Lebron and Simmons meshing very well. 2 ball dominant point forwards? If Lebron chose Philly I'd bet they trade Simmons, which long term isn't a good move for Philly.

With respect, Matt, no fucking way. LeBron is going to be 34. Simmons is a future MVP. Nobody is trading Simmons.

LeBron needs to be playing a solid 30 minutes a game for the next two or three years. Not 45. He needs to be playing a key contributing role. He can't be carrying the whole damn roster. With their young stars, Philly would be a great landing spot. Houston would be better.

LeBron needs to get the hell out of CLE, in my opinion. Nobody will begrudge him. He brought the city a ring. Now he needs to do whatever the hell he wants to do with the last years of his career. Maybe he stays in CLE, maybe not. Either way, it's all good.

With respect, Matt, no fucking way. LeBron is going to be 34. Simmons is a future MVP. Nobody is trading Simmons.

LeBron needs to be playing a solid 30 minutes a game for the next two or three years. Not 45. He needs to be playing a key contributing role. He can't be carrying the whole damn roster. With their young stars, Philly would be a great landing spot. Houston would be better.

LeBron needs to get the hell out of CLE, in my opinion. Nobody will begrudge him. He brought the city a ring. Now he needs to do whatever the hell he wants to do with the last years of his career. Maybe he stays in CLE, maybe not. Either way, it's all good.

Simmons will never sniff an MVP unless he learns how to shoot.

Simmons will never sniff an MVP unless he learns how to shoot.

I think you are both right. Simmons is superfluous with Lebron around (Lebron does all the same things Simmons does, but better, and Simmons isn't a guy suited to play off the ball). But I can't imagine Philly dropping Simmons just because they have Lebron around. More likely, they'd play Simmons-Reddick-Lebron-Saric-Embiid. Simmons would technically be the only non-shooter on the floor, so they could be more creative with him driving or cutting off the ball.

I also think Lebron's age isn't much of a factor for the next few years. Would it be nice to get him down to 30 minutes instead of the 37 he played last year (and 40+ in the postseason)? Yeah, and he probably knows that too. But he's also going to be one of the best players in the league for a little while (you never know, but his game translates even without ungodly athleticism), and he's not going to sit on the bench while his team is losing.

This continues to point to Houston for me. Lebron could realistically reduce his minutes because there is always going to be a top 10 player on the court without him. Houston blows out a lot of teams (and would probably do so more with Lebron), giving him early nights in many cases. Houston is already championship caliber, something he'd still have to project with Philly. He could go to Houston on a 2+1 (player) deal, probably win at least one more ring in the next couple years with his good friend Chris Paul, and then finish out his career (if he's starting to show signs of age) in Clevaland as a supersub and pseudo-coach.

Back