Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

List of Tiger team records

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2023/02/17/saturday-survey-65/
SATURDAY SURVEY.
Totally Tigers

A number of MLB teams go beyond how Cooperstown recognizes baseball greats. Many teams retire the numbers of significant former players whether they are elected to the Hall of Fame or not. Others have their own team Hall of Fame.

Despite being one of baseball?s oldest teams, the Tigers have only 13 players wearing the Olde English D in Cooperstown. Their policy is to retire only the numbers of players who got elected. They have made 2 exceptions with Willie Horton and Lou Whitaker.

Should the Tigers recognize more of their greats? Those who spent significant time with the team and contributed multiple great moments? Fan favorites?

If they did create their own Hall, would you pay to visit it?

In other words, if they built it, would you come? (Sorry, the line was just sitting there, begging to be used.)

Would you pay to visit a Tigers' Hall of Fame?

1. Yes

2. No

VOTE

The Lions, Red Wings, Pistons and Tigers are a combined 25-58 in 2023. That's a .301 winning percentage.

Since 1 Jan 2019, they are a combined 453-824-2 (.355).

No city has ever had a stretch close to this, and there's no real sign that it is about to improve.

People are (correctly) pointing out this statistic puts 10x as much weight on the Tigers record as the Lions. I'm not claiming it is a perfect measure of a city's pain.

The point is, until 2019, no city* had lost 200 games in a year. Detroit has done it in 2019, 2021 and 2022.

Dave Hogg

After today's stinker, the Tigers all-time franchise run differential (123 seasons) now stands at +160 runs. It hasn't been that low since 1915!

It hit its highest point (+2,524 runs) at the end of the 1988 season, 3+ years before the Ilitch family started its reign.

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2024/01/08/fans-vs-fanatics/
FANS vs FANATICS.
Totally Tigers

I am reminded of the day I was sitting at a Tigers? game in Lakeland and heard a group of people behind me talking about how they were big fans. In the next breath, they were unaware of one of the team?s top players and his history with Detroit.

In front of me was a guy who was busy keeping score of the game in a notebook.

I was sitting in-between the 2 polar opposites of fandom and it got me wondering who exactly can call themselves a real fan of baseball?

I then realized that the word ?fan? is open to interpretation. Yet, it needs some type of definition.

If we take the word ?fan?, it is short for the word ?fanatic.? In Merriam-Webster, it is noted that a fan is ?marked by excessive enthusiasm and often intense uncritical devotion?. It comes from the Latin word ?fanaticus?, which means ?insanely but divinely inspired?.

But do you have to be this way in order to call yourself a fan?

Of course not. Rather a fan is someone who simply puts in time, interest and/or invests in the sport. To what degree is up to them.

And that?s how we can more accurately define who a fan is. Rather than creating a singular definition, wouldn?t degrees of fandom work better?

I think so.

How much of a fan you are should be determined by your involvement in the game and knowledge of the sport.

I would call them levels. And if we?re talking about the Tigers, here?s how I would define them.

Tigers HR leaders by decade. (would not have guessed Inge) ...
50s - Al Kaline 125
60s - Norm Cash 278
70s - Willie Horton 121
80s - Lance Parrish 176
90s - Cecil Fielder 245
00s - Brandon Inge 123
10s - Miguel Cabrera 268

Tigers win leaders by decade (would not have guessed Gullickson) ...
50s - Frank Lary 79
60s - Denny McLain 114
70s - Mickey Lolich 105
80s - Jack Morris 162
90s - Bill Gullickson 51
00s - Justin Verlander 65
10s - Justin Verlander 118

Back