Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Marlins' home game cancelled tonight b/c of COVID 19 outbreak

turok

"Eight more players and two coaches with the Marlins have tested positive for the coronavirus, as an outbreak has spread throughout their clubhouse and brought the total cases in recent days to at least 14, sources familiar with the situation told ESPN."

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29546814/sources-marlins-cancel-game-virus-spreads

Postponed rather than cancelled, cant edit my topic title.

This 60 game shortened season is increasingly likely to fail, IMO. Obviously the Marlins will have to go with minor leaguer replacements if they want to have any hopes of playing games anytime soon. I can't see them being able to play any games during their current homestand @ the very least.

Last edited:
Stupid people. Should have just canceled season.

Well, no, because apparently MLB thinks that we can't do without it. When we have for four months. It's all about perpetuating the myth that MLB is actually relevant. So much so, that it embraces steroids, cheating, umpires with more tenure that Supreme Court Justices, the same round-robin managerial deck-chair shuffling, and virtue-signaling.

Personally, it's by me for good.

Last edited:
my only question is will the stats up through before they turn around and cancel the 60 game attempt end up counting towards the official career numbers or will MLB just abort and revert as if the very few games never occurred.

Just looked at records. 3 games in every team is either 1-2 or 2-1. No one is 3-0 or 0-3. Seems odd IMO haha.

There is little wiggle room in MLB's shortened & compressed schedule, absent playing "doubleheaders" @ Orioles later in the season. The Marlins team is still in Philly, each isolated and undergoing tests for infection. That could cause a postponement of tomorrow's game, and a very likely doubleheader for the third day of the series, IF they get played.

Yankees @ Phillies could also add a doubleheader tomorrow or Wednesday.

Just looked at records. 3 games in every team is either 1-2 or 2-1. No one is 3-0 or 0-3. Seems odd IMO haha.

Not when all of 2020 has been "odd" for the lot of us so far.

Starting the regular season a week before the date of what is normally the trade deadline, and not even scheduling a half-season (81 games).

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/s...illies-postponed-2nd-straight-day/5525874002/
MLB temporarily suspends Marlins' season through the weekend.
Detnews

https://www.mlive.com/sports/2020/0...or-coronavirus-phillies-in-clear-for-now.html
At least 18 Marlins test positive for coronavirus; Phillies in clear for now.
Mlive

https://www.detroitnews.com/story/s...tponed-2nd-day-amid-virus-worries/5529991002/
Tuesday's MLB: Yankees-Phillies postponed for 2nd day amid virus worries.
Detnews

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2020...uling-changes-following-marlins-outbreak.html
MLB Announces Scheduling Changes Following Marlins Outbreak.
MLBTR

Last edited:
Marlins will be 7 games unplayed behind the rest of MLB. Any more than that will mean yet another doubleheader for any games that cannot be made up on a mutual "off day" for both teams. Just some crazy shit as the Marlins only have 5 off days for this entire shortened season...the first being next Monday August 3rd.

Last edited:
it's only a matter of time before the 60 game season is just cancelled abort, no retry, fail. My fantasy leagues for football have also now started to get cancelled, just simply due to nobody wanting to have to try and manage a team week to week with all the covid in and out crap that will occur. I wouldn't be surprised if the NFL season is cancelled yet as well. At some point everybody really does need to ask themselves would it just be better if we let it run it's course and let the chips fall where they may? I say yes. but I'm not president Fauci

I knew there was a reason I just couldn't get excited about keeping up with the Miggy ladder climb this year. I just instinctively know things before they happen. The 60 games will be cancelled within the next week or so. From there I'm not even sure any stats to this point will end up counting, might have to take em all back and try again next year.

Last edited:
I think the only way playing sports will work is the way NBA and NHL are doing it...in a bubble. Baseball, NFL and NCAA football can't be done that way. I doubt any of them complete a season this year.

There has to be some algorithms that can rotate these teams through 10 parks for 60 games.

Back