Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Michigan @ MSU 10-20-18

so funny that you say "if the game is even close"

Keep in mind that Michigan hasn't blown MSU out since 2006, we've covered the point spread for the last 10 years, Harbaugh has been at least a 1 TD favorite every year and is 1-2, but yeah, a blowout is on the way.

Michigan hasn't beaten a ranked team on the road since 2006, 0-17, but yeah, get ready for a rout.

There isn't a fan base in the country that should be more cautiously optimistic about expectations than UM, but every year, Charlie Brown lines up to kick the field goal.

You talk to other Spartans, right? They are far more skeptical of MSU playing well in this game than your average Wolverine fan.

it's just this board really which is a little slice of it. there are a few prominent UM boards like mgoblue which i've never looked at, I created an account for RCMB but that's just a jungle filled with the type of whiny MSU fans I mentioned earlier. I think the online activity is pretty similar. this board is a spill over from the old ESPN days when they ended up closing their message boards.

This place isn't total cancer:

https://www.reddit.com/r/CFB/comments/9p089l/week_8_matchup_preview_thread_6_michigan/

Maybe not a good representative time to evaluate though. Michigan fans there have been trying to undo the 'direspekt voodoo' by saying nice things about MSU.

after a couple attempts at getting involved, I decided that in-game threads are a total waste of time. All I do now is log in for post game discussion and to look at how many pages of whining were created on the uofm board during their game.

No one is worse during the live game threads than bobbigunsdumbass. No one lives and dies by every fucking play during a game more than this guy. Michigan gives up a first down, "FIRE DON BROWN.. HE IS HORRIBLE hurrr durrr."

it's just this board really which is a little slice of it. there are a few prominent UM boards like mgoblue which i've never looked at, I created an account for RCMB but that's just a jungle filled with the type of whiny MSU fans I mentioned earlier. I think the online activity is pretty similar. this board is a spill over from the old ESPN days when they ended up closing their message boards.

I'm only referring to this board, as I assume mc was when he tried ripping MSU posters. they have a circle jerk here every week and then he crack jokes about MSU DSF posters who do it once a season.

so funny that you say "if the game is even close"

Keep in mind that Michigan hasn't blown MSU out since 2006, we've covered the point spread for the last 10 years, Harbaugh has been at least a 1 TD favorite every year and is 1-2, but yeah, a blowout is on the way.

Michigan hasn't beaten a ranked team on the road since 2006, 0-17, but yeah, get ready for a rout.

There isn't a fan base in the country that should be more cautiously optimistic about expectations than UM, but every year, Charlie Brown lines up to kick the field goal.

I agree . Until we beat MSU I will believe it when I see it. Mark gets in all these coaches heads and makes them change thier game plan to his liking. He has done it to Jim, Urban, and Franklin . Heck Michigan has not had a td pass verses MSU since 2011.
I think .

Last edited:
You talk to other Spartans, right? They are far more skeptical of MSU playing well in this game than your average Wolverine fan.

I am, for sure. I'm sure most homers and ill-informed think I'm a uofm hater because I think they got outplayed (badly) by nd, but I think they have the better team in this game - not by a wide margin as I think michigan is good but not great. If both teams were healthy, I'd say slight advantage michigan based on our OL and defensive backfield issues. Throw in all the injuries and that advantage is probably 2 FGs, maybe a TD, which is right where the spread is.

No one is worse during the live game threads than bobbigunsdumbass. No one lives and dies by every fucking play during a game more than this guy. Michigan gives up a first down, "FIRE DON BROWN.. HE IS HORRIBLE hurrr durrr."

I can’t help it if Brown sometimes does not have his unit ready in some of those game .
Being down 17-0 at Northwestern comes to mind ! I do believe he blitzes way to much and good qb play can torch this defense. Let me see. Last year Wisconsin, osu,msu, psu, and South Carolina come to mind. I stand by that I think his defense pads stats verses bad teams and until he shuts down good teams like osu, psu, MSU I will believe it when I see it. Heck Brown had a 14-0 lead last season verses osu and a backup qb torched his defense. He uses the blitz way to much and his defense can be had over the middle and underneath. Beat good teams like Alabama and then I will believe his defense is something special. He beat Wisconsin last week when the a Wisconsin qb hardly attempted any passes . Next up is MSU . Can he contain MSU running qb and Davis ?

Last edited:
I like that they have our longest winning streak as 4 games from 1934-1937. What happened to 2008-2011 or 1950-'53 and 1959-'62?

You are correct .1950 to 1963 was another bad 10+ Michigan stretch that is for sure . Funny the 1934-37 stretch is so weird because Harry Kipke teams were so good the pervious four years. His first five seasons at Michigan were 36-4-4 with 30 shutouts . Crazy coaching numbers.
5-3-1
8-0-1 big ten champs.
8-1-1 tie big ten.
8-0 big ten and national champs.
7-0-1 national champs, tie big ten.
But after that
1-7
4-4
1-7
4-4.

I can?t help it if Brown sometimes does not have his unit ready in some of those game .
Being down 17-0 at Northwestern comes to mind ! I do believe he blitzes way to much and good qb play can torch this defense. Let me see. Last year Wisconsin, osu,msu, psu, and South Carolina come to mind. I stand by that I think his defense pads stats verses bad teams and until he shuts down good teams like osu, psu, MSU I will believe it when I see it. Heck Brown had a 14-0 lead last season verses osu and a backup qb torched his defense. He uses the blitz way to much and his defense can be had over the middle and underneath. Beat good teams like Alabama and then I will believe his defense is something special. He beat Wisconsin last week when the a Wisconsin qb hardly attempted any passes . Next up is MSU . Can he contain MSU running qb and Davis ?

I think the UW QB attempted too many passes last week. They should've handed the ball to Taylor more.

I agree . Until we beat MSU I will believe it when I see it. Mark gets in all these coaches heads and makes them change thier game plan to his liking. He has done it to Jim, Urban, and Franklin . Heck Michigan has not had a td pass verses MSU since 2011.
I think .

Yeah, but on the longer scale they are still ?Lil Brother? and will always be a lil bro. It?s time for big bro to take the ball back from lil bro and show him who?s who.

Now It is going around that Gary will play on Saturday

Might be limited due to injury

Then there is a rumor that Black might be available, but probably not until PSU

I can?t help it if Brown sometimes does not have his unit ready in some of those game .

You're discounting the fact that the defense was on the field far too much last year due to the ineptitude of the offense. The OSU game is an excellent example. The defense locked them down with (according to the media)all-world QB JT Barrett looking like Alex Hornibrook for the first half. Then Metellus drops an easy INT (not Brown's fault) and the wheels came off because the offense was 3 and out on nearly every series.

The starts against ND and Northwestern are concerning, but the fact that they were able to make the necessary adjustments to lock both of them down after the slow starts is very encouraging to me. That's something that we have all been bitching about for years.

I'm not arguing that it is okay to blow a 2 score lead, but it's not entirely on the defense.

I tend to come up with things to worry about. Right now, I can't shake the worry that we're going to lose a key defender or two to targeting calls.

I tend to come up with things to worry about. Right now, I can't shake the worry that we're going to lose a key defender or two to targeting calls.

Yeah, those bogus kinds where a guy blocks someone into someone and that someone gets a targeting call

or

Someone pulls a guy into him and that guy gets the targeting call...

Yeah, those bogus kinds where a guy blocks someone into someone and that someone gets a targeting call

or

Someone pulls a guy into him and that guy gets the targeting call...

Or a punter does a somersault that somehow our LB is definitely supposed to see coming.

Back