Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MLB eliminates 42 MiLB farm teams Now MLB tells teams to provide housing for MiLB

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/28931445/advocacy-group-formed-minor-league-baseball-players
Advocacy group formed for minor league baseball players.
espn

About f'n time.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/stor...inor-leaguers-players-advocacy-group-launches
Minor league players? advocacy group launches, calls for livable wages.
LATimes

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2020/03/2...oup-created-demands-15k-salaries-for-players/
Minor League advocacy group created, demands $15K salaries for players.
NBCSports

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2020/03/20/sports/baseball/ap-bbm-minor-league-advocacy-group.html
Minor League Advocacy Group Demands $15,000 Salaries.
NYTimes

I see they don't include any of the signing bonuses from when they were drafted.

Here is a list from last year.

https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/draft/detroit-tigers/

I would imagine that the advocacy groups involve and raises are needed for those drafted who don't receive or receive little in signing bonuses...otherwise these prospects might as well not sign at all, b/c they won't be able to afford the cost of living hundreds, if not thousands of miles away from where they came from.

But if MLB is successful in contracting the amount of MiLB farm teams, then they might as well reduce the amount of draft rounds as well...what would be the point if there is nowhere to assign them?

Such a stupid idea, gradually killing off a so-called "national pasttime" sport that is already rapidly losing the interest of potential young fans and intentionally prospects in the US...thus making international signings that much more imperative. But if succeeding generations do not attend or tune in to MiLB and MLB, maybe MLB will find it necessary to move operations to Mexico, South, and Central America by the mid-late 21st century.

Last edited:
I would imagine that the advocacy groups involve and raises are needed for those drafted who don't receive or receive little in signing bonuses...otherwise these prospects might as well not sign at all, b/c they won't be able to afford the cost of living hundreds, if not thousands of miles away from where they came from.

exactly...maybe they shouldn't sign. If a "prospect" is getting drafted in the 30th round he might want to re-think his career path. Either get a real job or pursue a dream but make sacrifices such as living on peanuts. I don't feel bad for these guys. Most of them should be college graduates. If they are high school players getting drafted in rounds 30-40 they probably should have went to college on scholarship instead. They have a choice.

exactly...maybe they shouldn't sign. If a "prospect" is getting drafted in the 30th round he might want to re-think his career path. Either get a real job or pursue a dream but make sacrifices such as living on peanuts. I don't feel bad for these guys. Most of them should be college graduates. If they are high school players getting drafted in rounds 30-40 they probably should have went to college on scholarship instead. They have a choice.

Don't see why you are so opposed to near or @ bottom-level picks getting 2 or 3 seasons at most in the minors to try and fulfill a dream....as their student debt burdens precludes spending any more time on doing so than that, before needing to give it up. Unlike you I am far, far less concerned about the welfare of billionaire baseball franchise owners, many who also are being further enriched as a result of MLB profit-sharing...and especially some (Ilitch) who inherited it all.

Don't see why you are so opposed to near or @ bottom-level picks getting 2 or 3 seasons at most in the minors to try and fulfill a dream....as their student debt burdens precludes spending any more time on doing so than that, before needing to give it up. Unlike you I am far, far less concerned about the welfare of billionaire baseball franchise owners, many who also are being further enriched as a result of MLB profit-sharing...and especially some (Ilitch) who inherited it all.

none of them should have student debt. If they are good enough to get drafted they are good enough to get a scholarship.

Let them try to fulfill their dreams if they want. Most of those really late picks aren't going to make it anyway. That's one reason to get rid of a bunch of minor league teams. A good way to weed out the shit players that have no shot.

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2020/03/24/missed-the-call-and-dropped-the-ball/
MISSED THE CALL AND DROPPED THE BALL.
Totally Tigers

It?s getting to be so predictable. MLB is making another bonehead move when they could, in fact, be making decisions that could build their fanbase.....

The fact that the fanbase is the oldest among professional sports and only getting older. The fact that attendance has been declining yearly for 12 years now.

Yet the owners are only getting richer. And it?s because they are selling assets (primarily technology) and marketing rights. Not because they are promoting the game.

Witness also their priority over cutting costs instead of building fan interest. Currently on the table are two proposals:

1. Paying minor leaguers something closer to a living wage. They are currently under the poverty level.

2. Eliminating 42 minor league teams in order to ?improve the game.? Essentially killing the game at the grass-roots level.

Translation: If we are going to have to pay players more, then we?re going to cut some teams and effectively continue to keep our expenses at the same level. The two moves, one right after the other, are not a coincidence.

Also note that unlike previous history, the MLB Comissioner works directly at the behalf of owners. He doesn?t come up with these ideas. They do. He?s merely their mouthpiece. He has a variety of committees, all containing owners as members, who advise him on a variety of issues.

Which now brings us to how MLB is promoting the game while the sport is on hiatus.

Or I should say, what they?re not doing.

If you didn?t know, MLB owns both MLB TV and MLB Radio (in conjunction with Sirius XM).

If you watch the former, there is zero new content. The regular shows are AWOL. So are the hosts. They are rerunning old games and programs. And undoubtedly, one of the reasons is that it costs a lot of money to run tv studios and pay the analysts. Instead, they have laid off hundreds of employees who assemble the shows. It is now a skeleton crew in charge of loading previously-recorded programs into the system.

Remember when Rob Manfred criticized Mike Trout for not promoting the game more? Maybe the Commissioner should be green-lighting shows that allow fans to get to know him better.

These players have nothing else to do right now. Why can?t MLB do in-depth interviews with them? What?s preventing them?

Wouldn?t you like to listen to a program in which top players are extensively interviewed on how they see the game, how they play, or their mindset? Generally, a normal program segment runs approximately 10 minutes. Wouldn?t you like to have the host dig deeper and spend more time doing so?

Wouldn?t you like to know more about the players? personal sides? Would you like to experience how they interview, how funny they are and how they see things?

Of course, you would.

And if MLB would realize it, fanbases grow because when people develop a better sense of someone, even feel that there is a rapport or connection with a player or a team, they are much more likely to follow them. And as a result, they are also much more likely to explore the potential of watching something new.

And MLB is missing out on the golden opportunity. They have a captive audience, just ripe for the picking.

Are you listening, Rob?

Owners, what about you?

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2020/03/24/missed-the-call-and-dropped-the-ball/
MISSED THE CALL AND DROPPED THE BALL.
Totally Tigers

It?s getting to be so predictable. MLB is making another bonehead move when they could, in fact, be making decisions that could build their fanbase.....

Which now brings us to how MLB is promoting the game while the sport is on hiatus.

Or I should say, what they?re not doing.

If you didn?t know, MLB owns both MLB TV and MLB Radio (in conjunction with Sirius XM).

If you watch the former, there is zero new content. The regular shows are AWOL. So are the hosts. They are rerunning old games and programs. And undoubtedly, one of the reasons is that it costs a lot of money to run tv studios and pay the analysts. Instead, they have laid off hundreds of employees who assemble the shows. It is now a skeleton crew in charge of loading previously-recorded programs into the system.

These players have nothing else to do right now. Why can?t MLB do in-depth interviews with them? What?s preventing them?

Wouldn?t you like to listen to a program in which top players are extensively interviewed on how they see the game, how they play, or their mindset? Generally, a normal program segment runs approximately 10 minutes. Wouldn?t you like to have the host dig deeper and spend more time doing so?

And MLB is missing out on the golden opportunity. They have a captive audience, just ripe for the picking.

Are you listening, Rob?

Owners, what about you?

Holly can write her little blog from her basement. MLB studios and SiriusXM radio are both located in areas that are in full lock down because of the Coronavirus. It seems like she wants to put people in harms way in order to promote the game. Perhaps it's her head that is in the sand (or up her ass)

none of them should have student debt. If they are good enough to get drafted they are good enough to get a scholarship.

Let them try to fulfill their dreams if they want. Most of those really late picks aren't going to make it anyway. That's one reason to get rid of a bunch of minor league teams. A good way to weed out the shit players that have no shot.

Maybe but colleges don't give up many scholarships like other sports. Each team can allot up to 11.7 FULL scholarships. That's division 1. They can use those to cover up to 30 players each getting a little bit etc. But 11.7 is less than half the team. Division II gets 9 FULL scholarships in comparison. D3, 0.

So you know some who get drafted and even stay for a while will have a student debt. Unless the parents helped in some way.

Last edited:
Maybe but colleges don't give up many scholarships like other sports. Each team can allot up to 11.7 FULL scholarships. That's division 1. They can use those to cover up to 30 players each getting a little bit etc. But 11.7 is less than half the team. Division II gets 9 FULL scholarships in comparison. D3, 0.

So you know some who get drafted and even stay for a while will have a student debt. Unless the parents helped in some way.

I don't know all of the ins and outs of scholarship baseball, but only the best of the best get drafted. My guess is the best of the best are the ones getting those 11.7 full scholarships.

I don't know all of the ins and outs of scholarship baseball, but only the best of the best get drafted. My guess is the best of the best are the ones getting those 11.7 full scholarships.

For the whole time they're in college seems unlikely not 100%. 1500 get drafted each year. Just off the top of my head I know Zimmerman, our Zimmerman was a D3 guy.

Between NCAA schools, NAIA schools and junior colleges, there are just over 1,650 college baseball programs with roughly 34,500 college baseball players in the country. The competition for roughly 5,400 scholarships is fierce. Baseball is an equivalency sport, which means that scholarships can be divided up and given to multiple players. A full-ride scholarship for baseball players is rare. Here, we break down the facts about baseball scholarships. [UNQUOTE]

Link: https://www.ncsasports.org/baseball/scholarships

For the whole time they're in college seems unlikely not 100%. 1500 get drafted each year. Just off the top of my head I know Zimmerman, our Zimmerman was a D3 guy.

Zimmerman is so bad, he couldn't play for a D3 team right now!

https://totallytigers.wordpress.com/2020/03/25/you-asked-2/
YOU ASKED?
Totally Tigers

Welcome to another edition of You Asked ?.

While we wait for our beloved game to return, we have asked for questions from our readers. The purpose is to choose one question for both of us to answer. Today we have chosen 2.

Given the similarities of the questions, both will be addressed with one answer each from Kurt and Holly.

Thanks for participating everyone!

This week, John Bunn and Mcwatt have asked the following questions about how our blog got its start.

John Bunn

I wasn?t here from the beginning and I?m wondering what was the ?Genesis of TT? Was there a ?let there be light? moment? C?mon dish!

Mcwatt

If you?ve never met in person, how did you get together to plan and create this fantastic blog?

Holly can write her little blog from her basement. MLB studios and SiriusXM radio are both located in areas that are in full lock down because of the Coronavirus. It seems like she wants to put people in harms way in order to promote the game. Perhaps it's her head that is in the sand (or up her ass)

Holly and Kurt actually have a very good blog .. and highly doubt she writes from her basement. More like she has her own home office and gets much more than just TT done there. My guess is that she is a very goal oriented individual and is extremely busy the vast majority of her waking hours.

I like reading TT every single day. It is disappointing if for some reason they have not written a new blog on certain days (such as holidays.)

I think Holly is a absolutely marvelous writer! Nevertheless, I do not always agree with the things she writes about ..and I highly doubt she would appreciate (or even allow) my disagreement there on TT.

Who's Holly and Kurt. At first I was thinking Kurt Warner but his wife's name isn't Holly.

Holly & Kurt are writers for the blog "Totally Tigers" (or TT for short.)

Holly and Kurt actually have a very good blog .. and highly doubt she writes from her basement. More like she has her own home office and gets much more than just TT done there. My guess is that she is a very goal oriented individual and is extremely busy the vast majority of her waking hours.

I like reading TT every single day. It is disappointing if for some reason they have not written a new blog on certain days (such as holidays.)

I think Holly is a absolutely marvelous writer! Nevertheless, I do not always agree with the things she writes about ..and I highly doubt she would appreciate (or even allow) my disagreement there on TT.

IMO, it's a good blog during the season, but it hasn't been very good this off season. Her article about baseball dropping the ball during the "quarantine" was laughable.

My basement reference was a joke...or a comparison of one person being able to write a blog from anywhere vs. MLB trying to put a production together in a city that is under lockdown.

Back