Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MLB-NPB agreement.

pr0tege

With the new MLB-NPB agreement near, NPB clubs indicating they will accept $20 million maximum bid. With the lower overall winning % gaining the negotiating rights this could be good news in terms of Masahiro Tanaka not joining a contending team most notably the Yankees or Rangers.

Last edited:
I think the claim also goes to teams with the worst records, so he'll probably end up on the cubs or astros or some shit like that.

There is a notion that the posted player would be able to choose between the teams that made maximum bids though so still more clarifying info to come.

I also heard on MLB radio that a club like the Astros will just claim him and trade him for multiple prospects to a large market team. Either way...it is a good thing for competitive balance.

Well this changes things.

6:04pm: Under the latest proposal, while the maximum posting fee is $20MM, players appear to be free to sign with any team that ties for the highest bid, the Los Angeles Times' Bill Shaikin tweets. If that's the case, Yahoo!'s Jeff Passan points out, it will make Tanaka a de facto free agent, and he will likely receive a large contract.

I'm sure the number of teams willing to post the $20M is limited. the term de facto free agent makes it sound like all 30 teams would offer up the posting fee.

Yeah considering to total cost for Darvish was 113 million and that was with no competition I would expect the total cost for Tanaka to significantly surpass that mark considering the prices starting pitchers have gotten this offseason.

More than 113? So 20 to bid and 100+ to start out. They gotta end this shit.

The posting fee doesn't really affect the contract signed. You can say, obviously, that Darvish was worth 113 million to the Rangers over 6 years, but you could also say he was only able to leverage a 10 million per year contract for himself.

Now, a team like the Yankees (who will almost assuredly get Tanaka now) may be willing to offer a bigger contract, but with the lower posting fee it will still come out better. If they signed Tanaka for 6 years, 15 million per, and 20 million posting fee, he'd still be a few million cheaper than Darvish. Teams with enough cash are bound to do something stupid, but is any team really going to shell out top line starter money for someone who has never pitched in the majors?

Part of the reason posting fees were getting so high is because that money doesn't count against payroll. Deep pocketed teams could throw as much as they wanted without getting into luxury tax "trouble". I don't think the new cap is going to limit the any competitive edge for large market teams, but the system needed to be changed for everyone's sake anyway.

More than 113? So 20 to bid and 100+ to start out. They gotta end this shit.

Yeah the posting fee alone was set to probably be in the range of 60 million and Darvish got 6 years/$56M. I would fully expect if the rules for the posting system is what they say it is then the player would be able to negotiate as if he was a free agent with any teams that posted the maximum bid of 20M. Could very well end up in the 6 year 100 million range and with the 20 million posting fee looking at 120 million plus.

There was talk that the 20 million posting fee would count towards the luxury tax for that season but I guess those rumors was shot down. A move like that would likely take the top payroll teams out of the picture which I think would be fair considering your paying that in a lump sum for a player so why wouldn't it count towards the luxury tax?

It would also take out the low payroll teams. No way a team a team like the Rays, Pirates, A's, Astro's ect. would pay this guy.

The posting fee doesn't really affect the contract signed. You can say, obviously, that Darvish was worth 113 million to the Rangers over 6 years, but you could also say he was only able to leverage a 10 million per year contract for himself.

Now, a team like the Yankees (who will almost assuredly get Tanaka now) may be willing to offer a bigger contract, but with the lower posting fee it will still come out better. If they signed Tanaka for 6 years, 15 million per, and 20 million posting fee, he'd still be a few million cheaper than Darvish. Teams with enough cash are bound to do something stupid, but is any team really going to shell out top line starter money for someone who has never pitched in the majors?

Part of the reason posting fees were getting so high is because that money doesn't count against payroll. Deep pocketed teams could throw as much as they wanted without getting into luxury tax "trouble". I don't think the new cap is going to limit the any competitive edge for large market teams, but the system needed to be changed for everyone's sake anyway.

Well as obvious as NY is don't forget how appealing this is for Texas as well for not only them but for Tanaka as well and just because the Dodgers signed Haren that won't stop them from being players for Tanaka.

Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports spoke with a source who told him that if multiple teams submit the same bid, the player will be allowed to negotiate with all of those clubs. Only the signing club would be required to pay the posting fee, which still will not count against MLB's luxury tax (the ensuing contract, of course, will count).

Agreement has been reached.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/12/mlb-npb-reach-agreement-on-posting-system.html

Why even have a posting system? They call this a radical overhaul but its just another way where only a handful of teams could participate.

Why even have a posting system? They call this a radical overhaul but its just another way where only a handful of teams could participate.

This is better than the old way. Most MLB teams can afford the $20M bid which is a good thing.

This is better than the old way. Most MLB teams can afford the $20M bid which is a good thing.

And not afford his contract so bid means nothing. You can't just win the bid and trade him you have to sign him..do you think most teams are able to afford 100+ or whatever he gets? I don't.

Last edited:
Back