Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MLB rankings: Tigers are just 14th

The team stats were largely carried by the middle of our lineup. Over the course of 162 games it's looks okay, but when Miggy and Vmart have an off day we are in real trouble, and that monster has shown it's head in the playoffs several times. Our inability to manufacture runs when it's score or go home time is why we all end up depressed in October.

Name a lineup that isn't flawed to some degree

I don't care if they have to jerk the ump off to get on. On base is on base.

I'm talking about walk rate, not OBP. .280 hitter with 80 walks is better than a .280 hitter with 25 walks. I'd prefer number 1 myself.

I'm talking about walk rate, not OBP. .280 hitter with 80 walks is better than a .280 hitter with 25 walks. I'd prefer number 1 myself.

Obviously. But I'm talking about a guy that hits for a higher average but takes less walks. If they both end up with the same on base percentage what does it matter if he walked there or had to run?

Name a lineup that isn't flawed to some degree

I'm not going to chase that rabbit. I'm talking about Detroit. If you're happy with the season totals alone, then more power to ya brother.

Obviously. But I'm talking about a guy that hits for a higher average but takes less walks. If they both end up with the same on base percentage what does it matter if he walked there or had to run?

Well they could run to first and pull a hammy?

I have become very pessimistic about our Tigers and have low expectations for 2015.
All since losing the ALCS to the shitsox in 2013.
and it continues......Horseshit bench, questionable bullpen, and from the best rotation or 6 starters to a middle of the pack rotation.

I'm sure, the brutal winter we have had, and all just in the past 24 days, has bummed me out to post the above, and also, like every other year since the end of 1984, they will suck me back in to think they can win it all.

I have become very pessimistic about our Tigers and have low expectations for 2015.
All since losing the ALCS to the shitsox in 2013.
and it continues......Horseshit bench, questionable bullpen, and from the best rotation or 6 starters to a middle of the pack rotation.

I'm sure, the brutal winter we have had, and all just in the past 24 days, has bummed me out to post the above, and also, like every other year since the end of 1984, they will suck me back in to think they can win it all.

Have the faith. Having to live near Red Sox fans day in and day out must be the hardest thing. I would have gone insane by now..:cheers:

Have the faith. Having to live near Red Sox fans day in and day out must be the hardest thing. I would have gone insane by now..:cheers:

Thanks Mitch.
But maybe karma is getting back at me for yucking it up at their expense from 1957 when I moved here to 2004 when the yankees were up 3 games to none.

It would be wonderful if 2 gigantic proportion sink holes would appear at Fenway Park and Gillette Stadium, with no one getting injured.

Call me pessimistic, but I dont know if Cespedes will even hit 20 homers in Comerica. For some reason I think he'll be at like .260/.298/something and only have like 18 homers. Its also a contract year, so who knows.

I still think it was a stupid fucking trade.

Last edited:
Whats bugging me now is why couldn't DD have traded for Fowler!

Motherfucking Cubs got him for Dan Straily and Luis Valbuena? Seriously, we could have beaten that, gotten an excellent leadoff man and full time CF.

I'm seriously beginning to wonder if DD works the phones at all, or if he is so arrogant he just sits and waits for people to call him.

Im not a fan of Fowler, hes a defensive liability. I dont like Gose either, though. I didnt want either of them.

Gun to my head, Id pick Fowler because of his OBP skills. However, in the same scenario Id also have chosen Cespedes over Hunter, and i didnt want either of them either.

Also, Id be willing to bet Fowler wasnt on DDs list at all since he wanted defense first and foremost from a CFer at the expense of all else.

Last edited:
Whats bugging me now is why couldn't DD have traded for Fowler!

Motherfucking Cubs got him for Dan Straily and Luis Valbuena? Seriously, we could have beaten that, gotten an excellent leadoff man and full time CF.

I'm seriously beginning to wonder if DD works the phones at all, or if he is so arrogant he just sits and waits for people to call him.
To be fair, Fowler is the worst defensive CF in baseball. There are a lot better options he could have gone

Last edited:
Well we haven't had good defense in CF since 2 years ago Ajax. So this would likely be more of the same, except getting on base better than .360 clip in front of Kinsler/Cabrera/Vmart.

He would certainly generate far more runs than he would cost.

In comparison to Gose though it's not even close.

Well we haven't had good defense in CF since 2 years ago Ajax. So this would likely be more of the same, except getting on base better than .360 clip in front of Kinsler/Cabrera/Vmart.

He would certainly generate far more runs than he would cost.

In comparison to Gose though it's not even close.
I'm not a fan of Gose either, but its not more of the same. Fowler was right between Nick and Torii as one of the worst defenders in all of baseball last year. I know its not the same position either but even Torii has rated better than him the last 3 years. Anything good he brings on offense is immediately taken away by his defense.

If you want someone better than Gose then I agree with you. Fowler just isn't the example to bring up

He was no more valuable, than AJax and his .308 OBP last season. As much as I like OBP its not the sole definition of a good player

Let's not forget he's getting paid 10 million this season, which he certainly isnt worth

Last edited:
He was no more valuable, than AJax and his .308 OBP last season. As much as I like OBP its not the sole definition of a good player

Let's not forget he's getting paid 10 million this season, which he certainly isnt worth

Dude, I get it you don't like the guy.

But seriously, no more valuable than Ajax? who struck out 140+ times, with a .308 OBP and a .655 OPS? vs. .374 OBP and .774 OPS?

And this whole defense negates offense argument is just terrible.

Back