Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU basektball recruiting

?I grew up a Michigan State fan,? said Jackson, who starred for Detroit Consortium, contributing 22 points and 13 rebounds in a Class C state title game win two years ago. ?I love Coach Izzo and the way he coaches. I love the style of play they play with ? fast.

?It was real good seeing them practice and prepare for the game the day before, watching the film session and then seeing how they went out and executed the plan today.?

Yeah, this kid is all Green!!!

I saw him briefly (.2 seconds) when they showed costellos dad. He didnt see kansas play a game when he visited but saw AZ play a sleeper against UNLV. Im no insider but id think the Crystal ball should be 75% us ( i know it doesnt hold much weight)

Fwiw Kansas moderators on rivals have conceded that he's going to pick msu.

Fwiw Kansas moderators on rivals have conceded that he's going to pick msu.

Kansas insiders tweeting they heard that MSU closed the deal this weekend. Man, this would be pretty cool, just makes perfect sense too.

Don't know why but I was really surprised to read that we only have the 3rd best class so far so I looked them up (on 247) - looks like if we get Jackson, we'll move up to #2. Kentucky is just unbelievable - they landed 5 top 24 players, 2 #1s at their position, a #3, a #4 and an 8. WTF?

And not to bang on Izzo, but it seems like a big reason this class is coming together because so many elite kids are from or have tight ties to the state and grew up Spartan fans. When is the next time we will see so many elite players with Michigan connections? This is once in a generation for us but KY seems to do even better more often than not. Recruiting is so freakin hard when you do it clean.

Obviously I'd rather have this class than not, but I wonder if there will be some kind of winner's curse that goes along with this - we will likely find ourselves replacing 5 or even 6 absolute studs next year. That gives us a lot of scholarships but not a lot of margin for error if we have misses on high profile players like we did the few years before 2015.

Don't know why but I was really surprised to read that we only have the 3rd best class so far so I looked them up (on 247) - looks like if we get Jackson, we'll move up to #2. Kentucky is just unbelievable - they landed 5 top 24 players, 2 #1s at their position, a #3, a #4 and an 8. WTF?

And not to bang on Izzo, but it seems like a big reason this class is coming together because so many elite kids are from or have tight ties to the state and grew up Spartan fans. When is the next time we will see so many elite players with Michigan connections? This is once in a generation for us but KY seems to do even better more often than not. Recruiting is so freakin hard when you do it clean.

Obviously I'd rather have this class than not, but I wonder if there will be some kind of winner's curse that goes along with this - we will likely find ourselves replacing 5 or even 6 absolute studs next year. That gives us a lot of scholarships but not a lot of margin for error if we have misses on high profile players like we did the few years before 2015.

Yeah, if we land Jackson and Davis stays like he should we will lose most of the team after the 2017 NCAA tourney. Jackson is a 1 and done for sure, Bridges is 90% one and done, Davis will leave, Schilling and Harris will graduate. Langford is 25% one and done.

Of course the next class is going to be huge too starting with Brian Bowen and Malik Williams who are MSU leans. I see Winston and Ward as 3-4 year players.

KY recruits nationally, that's not what we do, not who we are. Izzo gets guys who want to be closer to home, within the 5hr radius outside of a few players. For the most part, the guys who value their parents being able to watch them are the guys we want, we want guys who are willing to earn minutes and don't just look at MSU as a stepping stone. I love getting guys like Jackson but he's a special case, this is not a mercenary program. Izzo talked this weekend about how he's hoping the unselfish identity sticks around after he leaves, guys like Denzel, Draymond, even back to magic, guys who want to make their teammates better. We're a little different but I like what we're doing with recruiting. the 2015 class was perfect for MSU, we got a few 4yr guys and one 5 star that might only be here two years. Let's stick with this formula

KY recruits nationally, that's not what we do, not who we are. Izzo gets guys who want to be closer to home, within the 5hr radius outside of a few players. For the most part, the guys who value their parents being able to watch them are the guys we want, we want guys who are willing to earn minutes and don't just look at MSU as a stepping stone. I love getting guys like Jackson but he's a special case, this is not a mercenary program. Izzo talked this weekend about how he's hoping the unselfish identity sticks around after he leaves, guys like Denzel, Draymond, even back to magic, guys who want to make their teammates better. We're a little different but I like what we're doing with recruiting. the 2015 class was perfect for MSU, we got a few 4yr guys and one 5 star that might only be here two years. Let's stick with this formula

yeah, I get all that - it's why this class is a once in a generation kind of thing for MSU. I'm not saying I want MSU to become KY - while I'm excited about the prospect of next year's class, I'd rather not see the program become a 1 and done, basketball factory. But lots of other programs recruit nationally that don't get classes like the ones KY gets almost every year. Not even dook, unc or kansas land classes like that - more often than we do probably but certainly not 80%+ of the time.

Sadly, even if these kids win the NC next year, with or without Jackson, there's a good chance we'll have more frustrating years like we had missing out on Parker, Okafor and Ullis. I like the model of recruiting within a 5 hour radius but it definitely shrinks the pool and being the best program in that radius doesn't mean that much when we still have to compete with the KYs, dooks, uncs, kus. It's tough - hopefully there are a bunch Midwest kids growing up as big Izzo fans and developing into 4 and 5 star players...

Great post first of all. I highly believe something is amuck at Kentucky and has been since he first landed there, enter Coach Cheataparri. He was doing things below board at Mempis and then ups the ante at Kentucky. The coach bears no burden of cheating, the schools absorb the punishment. You cant get that many top guys every year without doing something.

Kentucky isnt the storied program they once were. I dont buy the "NBA Program 1 and done" that people claim. They could do that at any school! I think Izzo might target a few top guys but not enough! being one of the top 3-4 programs the last 20 years we should get 2 top guys (Mcdonalds AA's) per year without much effort. Brian Bowen is supposedly a lock so he would fill a spot for the year after.

I think we have good recruiting classes but rarely GREAT. Well, its about fing time... The fact is if you add in 1 more top guy per year I guarantee we would have won it all a few more times. You then have to hope they stick around for 2-3 years, you just cant expect a NC with all freshman.

Last edited:
Arizona just took a commitment from Rawl Atkins, 2016 wing

Jackson to MSU is a done deal. I would be shocked if he ended up picking Zona, apparently Kansas is not in the running any longer.

Hes also dating that girl whos going to play at michigan. He wont be leaving the state

Kansas and Zona insiders saying they think it's MSU, Sean Scherer says he is very confident JJ to MSU. Cassius Winston is telling kids at his school JJ is coming. His girlfriend is at UM. Zona just signed a guy at his position that JJ doesn't like. It's going to happen.

Someone needs to hit the bricks like day after the season is over. :). Sean scherer is like 7/7 in basketball pics to msu

Someone needs to hit the bricks like day after the season is over. :). Sean scherer is like 7/7 in basketball pics to msu

He is adamant JJ is signing with MSU, says several sources are saying that including Zona sources. Also says Izzo already has a plan in place for a spot for him. And we don't have to be under the scholarship limit until the Fall, so Jackson could sign with us as soon as the late signing period starts, I think next week.

He was planning on committing during the McD's AA game but I wouldn't be surprised if it happens sooner now. And this is a super clean recruitment, Jackson's mom made sure of that. She eliminated some schools who offered benefits and she may have eliminated Kansas just recently.

One thing people will be surprised about is Jackson is probably the best defender in the country too, he really prides himself in defense.

After the msu visit, 1 nation decides to merge with the aau team sponsored by Draymond Green.

After the msu visit, 1 nation decides to merge with the aau team sponsored by Draymond Green.

Yes, good sign.

Also, the Spartan Mag insiders also saying it's a done deal. I'd love to see him announce sooner rather than waiting until the McD's All Star game.

We have a 7 game win streak in which no one has come closer than 12 and we're winning by an average of 22 a game. Outside of 1 bad half we are blowing teams away. 11-1 in our last 12 and outscoring our opponents by over 20 a game over that stretch.

This is a dominant team, maybe the Big Ten stinks, but we are simply toying with every team we face.

Yes, good sign.

Also, the Spartan Mag insiders also saying it's a done deal. I'd love to see him announce sooner rather than waiting until the McD's All Star game.
Rod or someone else?

Back