Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU Football recruiting

I'm kind of over having a stable of slot receivers. I know the landscape of college football has changed and I should probably be happy with guys that can catch balls in traffic and pick up 1st downs but I'd like to see us land some guys or a guy with true deep threat kinda speed.

More importantly though, we have bigger needs to address on the o-line both in terms of talent and coaching. Even if Dobbs pans out which all indications so far are that he's progressing, it's not enough.

But it's more guys to run jet sweeps

I'm kind of over having a stable of slot receivers. I know the landscape of college football has changed and I should probably be happy with guys that can catch balls in traffic and pick up 1st downs but I'd like to see us land some guys or a guy with true deep threat kinda speed.

More importantly though, we have bigger needs to address on the o-line both in terms of talent and coaching. Even if Dobbs pans out which all indications so far are that he's progressing, it's not enough.

Center/Guard JD Duplain is actually the farthest ahead of the freshman O Line. And 4 star tackle Nick Samac is right there with Dobbs. Both Duplain and Samac said no the the Ohio State hard sell late in the process or they'd be both be Buckeyes. There's some talent on the O Line, but the coaching is the big problem, need to address that or the talent we finally have won't matter.

Center/Guard JD Duplain is actually the farthest ahead of the freshman O Line. And 4 star tackle Nick Samac is right there with Dobbs. Both Duplain and Samac said no the the Ohio State hard sell late in the process or they'd be both be Buckeyes. There's some talent on the O Line, but the coaching is the big problem, need to address that or the talent we finally have won't matter.

there may be some talent waiting in the wings but the product on the field right now is pretty lousy. I guess matt allen is pretty solid but it's hard to say for sure - to me other than the tackles whose success and failures are more obvious, it's tough to evaluate interior lineman other than as a unit.

Whatever talent we have though is being wasted by poor coaching - f'n Rutgers develops more lineman than we do. I remember sitting in their stadium a couple years ago and watching the "Scarlet Knights in the NFL" on the jumbotron - they had like 7 guys that were active legit NFL linemen. I was wondering if we had 7 NFL linemen since Mandarich, let alone active at the same time.

Brian Allen and Jack Conklin are the only 2 currently. 3 if you want to count long snapper Taybor Pepper.

Brian Allen and Jack Conklin are the only 2 currently. 3 if you want to count long snapper Taybor Pepper.

what a great job that is. Barely get hit, get paid really well to play a fraction of the downs and always be in demand. You don't have to be 300+ lbs putting extra years of wear and tear on your heart, joints, etc. It might be better than being a kicker - prob not the same money, but not the same pressure either.

The Giants long snapper lives in my town and works out at the local Y in the offseason. He's a big dude but he doesn't stand out like most lineman. We have run into Nick Mangold a couple times - when you see that guy you know he plays football. I was watching this guy bench, blasting 315lbs without a spotter like it was no big deal. Then my wife sends my 6 yr old into the weight room to get me and the guy just started talking to him, joking around with my son, we exchanged goodbyes and left and my wife asked "how do you know him?" I said "I don't, he's just a friendly guy" and she goes "that's 'insert NYG long snapper's name' who plays for the Giants." She had met his wife a few times but still, my wife barely knows the difference between a punter and a linebacker so that was pretty embarrassing that she knew who he was and I had no clue.

Last edited:
I am watching the Memphis and SMU game right now. They both have more explosive athletes than we do. How the hell is that possible? A Memphis player just took the 2nd half kickoff to the house in 10 seconds. We have the slowest punt and kick returners in the country every year. Oh well, same old Spartans! I just hope we get a young coach who is willing to take chances on offense. This program is slow and boring.

Sounds like we may have closed the deal with Ohio State grad transfer Brandon White. He’ll start at safety for us and brings much needed speed and talent to the position.

I think next year that we need a grad transfer at QB. Lombardi won't cut it and we haven't seen anyone else play.

Rivals 4 star WR Terry Lockett Jr committed. Really fast kid.

Some thoughts we are getting a visit from grad transfer QB from Houston, D'Eriq King. Dual threat.

I watched Theo Day's highlights last night. Big kid that is way more athletic than he looks. He seemed to make some pretty good throws but his arm strength was average. Wish they would have put him in during the season to see what he can do against D1 schools.

Mel Tucker wins his first recruiting challenge. Verbal commit, 3 star running back Jordon Simmons who delayed signing due to Dantonio resigning, signs letter of intent Feb 23 after talking to Tucker and mulling it over.

While just a 3 star, Simmons has an impressive offer sheet including FLA, FSU, GA, Aub, uofm and Nebraska

Mel Tucker wins his first recruiting challenge. Verbal commit, 3 star running back Jordon Simmons who delayed signing due to Dantonio resigning, signs letter of intent Feb 23 after talking to Tucker and mulling it over.

While just a 3 star, Simmons has an impressive offer sheet including FLA, FSU, GA, Aub, uofm and Nebraska

Has some speed. Really good kid too.

Tucker is known as a great (not just good) recruiter. It seems like his entire staff is made up with good recruiters. He really puts an emphasis on recruiting.

He's been offering a ton of blue chips across the country. I think he'll land some this next class. Tucker has the program generating some hype now, regardless of how the team does this Fall I think he can have a really good first class. I'd aim for top 20 as a realistic mark for him for 2021.

MSU lands 3 star QB Hampton Fay from Texas. 6’5” and 215lbs but lotta unknowns. The kid graduated a year early after playing 3 games as a junior then missing the rest of the season with a torn labrum in his throwing shoulder. He’s had surgery and is enrolling this year at MSU for what would be his senior year in high school. Only thing I know about a torn labrum is that is what ended my buddies pitching career in Spring training his first year with the Indians but that was over 15 years ago now.

Edit: another tidbit about the torn labrum I learned today - that's the injury Brees had when he was released by the Chargers and replaced by Philip Rivers. Saban said it's why the Dolphins failed him on his physical and passed on him when he was HC. So this kid will probably be the next Drew Brees. Not bad.

Last edited:
4 star DT/DE Rayshaun Benny committed to MSU today, 6-5, 275 lbs, #188 player in the country according the composite.

This is a big one, he was 100% crystal balled to Michigan before the game last weekend. He flipped because he saw promise.

2021 RB commit, Audric Estime is playing against the best programs in NJ, in 6 games 1,341 rushing yards on 127 carries
120 receiving yards
19 touchdowns

He went off vs the #24 team in the nation a few weeks ago and has been dominant all season. He's a monster, 4 star everywhere save for ESPN who has yet to update his ranking. Could end up being really highly ranked.

Brandon Baldwin, 6-7, 315 lb JUCO OT commits to MSU, will have at least 3 years of eligibility remaining.

4 star DT/DE Rayshaun Benny committed to MSU today, 6-5, 275 lbs, #188 player in the country according the composite.

This is a big one, he was 100% crystal balled to Michigan before the game last weekend. He flipped because he saw promise.

2021 RB commit, Audric Estime is playing against the best programs in NJ, in 6 games 1,341 rushing yards on 127 carries
120 receiving yards
19 touchdowns

He went off vs the #24 team in the nation a few weeks ago and has been dominant all season. He's a monster, 4 star everywhere save for ESPN who has yet to update his ranking. Could end up being really highly ranked.

that's a brutal league with 2 teams in the national top 25 - St Joseph might be ranked if they didn't have close losses to those 2 teams. He probably has a better line than the 17 running back we're rotating right now - they're freakin massive for a bunch of high school kids.

Last edited:
that's a brutal league with 2 teams in the national top 25 - St Joseph might be ranked if they didn't have close losses to those 2 teams. He probably has a better line than the 17 running back we're rotating right now - they're freakin massive for a bunch of high school kids.

At that level, Estime is impossible to tackle for high school kids, he's a freight train. I know Donovan Edwards (near 5 star RB from West Bloomfield) is a long shot for MSU, he wants to go to OSU, but Estime's film is on a different level from Edwards. Maybe that just means Edwards is way overrated, but I think Estime will be the best back we've brought in since Le'Veon Bell.

J 2x2, your eternal, measured optimism regarding MSU football is buoying to me.

Back