Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

MSU Football recruiting

They brought in Tommy Schuster to backup Chiles. Lower level, but a 4 year starter.

right - apologies, that post wasn't very clear. I was talking about when we had 0 scholarship QBs.

Either way, those guys are gone, good luck to them. Adding Schuster definitely improves the situation but it would be nice to see another 3 star+ caliber player either from the portal or a late high school signee (if that's even possible). I haven't paid as close attention, maybe they've added another but hopefully our 3rd stringer doesn't end up being a preferred walkon.

Last edited:
right - apologies, that post wasn't very clear. I was talking about when we had 0 scholarship QBs.

Either way, those guys are gone, good luck to them. Adding Schuster definitely improves the situation but it would be nice to see another 3 star+ caliber player either from the portal or a late high school signee (if that's even possible). I haven't paid as close attention, maybe they've added another but hopefully our 3rd stringer doesn't end up being a preferred walkon.

They signed 1 last month

https://247sports.com/Player/alessio-milivojevic-46132996/

So, big news today. The last coaching hire has apparently been made, Oregon DB coach Demetrice Martin is being poached by Smith pending the buyout not hitting any snags to come back to MSU to coach our secondary with Blue Adams.

Major coup, he's not only considered one of the better secondary coaches in the country, he's one of the top recruiters in the country too. Has previous stops in Wahsinton, Colorado, Arizona, and UCLA. Been great and made a difference everywhere. Played for MSU 1992-95.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demetrice_Martin

I dont care about losing Houser. Would've liked to keep Leavitt, but after the way we pouted I'm fine he's gone too.

Leavitt being in the same class as Chiles made keeping him impossible. Houser was bad, but not terrible, wouldn't have minded he or even Kim stuck around, but I think the staff basically didn't even ask any of them to stay. They knew Chiles was the guy, and they wanted to add an experienced guy like Schuster to be his backup.

Chiles having a year in the system already is huge, he'll have been with this staff for 22 months when he takes his first snap at Spartan Stadium. Smith and the staff know exactly what they have with him and think he can be the starter for a good team on day 1 here. He was seeing every third drive for the Beavers last year, so he was in against first team defenses. So I think they have a lot of confidence he's ready to be a star. He's a true dual threat, but I think he has to learn to slide better. He's got great arm strength, really good speed and athleticism. Can make the reads and all of the throws. Is a strong leader. The weakness I see is there's a hitch in his wind up that slows his release, very similar to JJ McCarthy in that regard.

Landing Chiles was a major coup for Oregon State, he could have gone anywhere. But he loves Smith and Lindgren. Obviuously, he's getting serious NIL to come to MSU, but he probably turned down a bigger deal from USC to transfer here to stick with Smith.

Last edited:
Demetrice Martin wrapped up and will be announced any day. Maybe Monday. Oregon tried to keep him so there was probably some back and further.

Tony Grimes backs out of MSU commitment and commits to UNLV. He has 2 years of eligibility, maybe we can get him next year.

And Zion Young commits to Missouri. Says a lot about the state of the program when the best place one of your best players can land in the portal is Missouri. Smith has his work cut out for him - but that was clear way before Young went to mizzou.

Last edited:
Tony Grimes backs out of MSU commitment and commits to UNLV. He has 2 years of eligibility, maybe we can get him next year.

And Zion Young commits to Missouri. Says a lot about the state of the program when the best place one of your best players can land in the portal is Missouri. Smith has his work cut out for him - but that was clear way before Young went to mizzou.
I read a couple times last week that Grimes didn't have his grades in order

I read a couple times last week that Grimes didn't have his grades in order

He could get accepted to MSU, but wouldn't have been eligible to play sports. Might be why he sat all last year at TAMU. And it wouldn't surprise me if he still has work to do to be able to play at UNLV. Bummer, but like I said, this was a boom or bust pickup, just busted before he even arrived I guess. I think we add a corner in the Spring portal period.

Zion Young leaving was unfortunate. He flat out said he wanted to stay at MSU, but Missouri was offering more NIL and he has several siblings he needs to take care of back home. He was probably losing his starting spot as the staff really likes that Dunnigan that they brought in and Jalen Thomspon has the other spot locked up. Young didn't make much of an impact last year, 1.5 sacks, he wasn't quick enough to play DE. I think he should have put on weight and moved inside as soon as possible, at 6-6, 265, another 25 pounds and he'd be fine inside. He's got a huge lower body already and I think could have developed into an NFL DT.

I think we're fine at DE right now and the young guys are going to need snaps to develop. Might need another DT before Summer. Always looking for OL starters. And I still think we'll add at least another #2, preferrably #1 WR this off season. There are some options currently and there will be more in the Spring.

New strength coach already has these guys for Winter Conditioning and they're saying he's working them harder than they've ever been worked. But that seems standard everytime a new strength coach comes in. But Oregon State fans raved about Mike McDonald getting their gtuys into fantastic shape with size and also loved how they seemed to have few injuries with him in charge. When Novak came in with Tugger, we heard good things and he had an NFL background, but one of the first things some insiders said is he's known for getting guys big, but also getting guys hurt. The injury situation here the last 2 seasons was insane. It seemed like half the roster was hurt at times.

Last edited:
Safety and former 3 star recruit, Aveon Grose, brother of Angelo Grose commits to MSU - his 3rd school in 3yrs. Hew was a Saluki last year after spending his freshman year at Charlotte (didn't one of our QBs go there recently?)

edit: close, Kim went to Coastal Carolina and Houser went to ECU

Last edited:
MSU flips 6 star K Martin Connington from Oregon State. Yes, kickers have up to 6 stars.

""Martin is a big time high school kicking prospect. He is a great looking athlete with a live leg. He does a fantastic job on field goal. He hits a pure ball, accurate ball off the ground and easily has 55+ yard range. His kickoffs are outstanding, D1 ready. Martin averages 65+ yards with 4.2+ hang time. Also an excellent punter. A competitor who kicks with great confidence. I look forward to seeing what the future holds. Look for Martin to dominate his senior season. Martin is a fine young man with a great attitude and work ethic. Phenomenal prospect.Martin is a big time high school kicking prospect. He is a great looking athlete with a live leg. He does a fantastic job on field goal. He hits a pure ball, accurate ball off the ground and easily has 55+ yard range. His kickoffs are outstanding, D1 ready. Martin averages 65+ yards with 4.2+ hang time. Also an excellent punter. A competitor who kicks with great confidence. I look forward to seeing what the future holds. Look for Martin to dominate his senior season. Martin is a fine young man with a great attitude and work ethic. Phenomenal prospect."

Good to see us getting stud here for 4 years. Also a great punter and is already going to be a kickoff guy right away.

was just about to post this news when i read your head scratcher? Who gives out 6 star rankings because 247 has him as a 3 star and a 2 star composite ranking while Rivals ranks him as a 2 star and ESPN gives him 3. Is there a separate rating service for kickers?

MSU flips 6 star K Martin Connington from Oregon State. Yes, kickers have up to 6 stars.

""Martin is a big time high school kicking prospect. He is a great looking athlete with a live leg. He does a fantastic job on field goal. He hits a pure ball, accurate ball off the ground and easily has 55+ yard range. His kickoffs are outstanding, D1 ready. Martin averages 65+ yards with 4.2+ hang time. Also an excellent punter. A competitor who kicks with great confidence. I look forward to seeing what the future holds. Look for Martin to dominate his senior season. Martin is a fine young man with a great attitude and work ethic. Phenomenal prospect.Martin is a big time high school kicking prospect. He is a great looking athlete with a live leg. He does a fantastic job on field goal. He hits a pure ball, accurate ball off the ground and easily has 55+ yard range. His kickoffs are outstanding, D1 ready. Martin averages 65+ yards with 4.2+ hang time. Also an excellent punter. A competitor who kicks with great confidence. I look forward to seeing what the future holds. Look for Martin to dominate his senior season. Martin is a fine young man with a great attitude and work ethic. Phenomenal prospect."

Good to see us getting stud here for 4 years. Also a great punter and is already going to be a kickoff guy right away.

impressive. Can you imagine if you had this kid last season? score might've been 49-6 or even 42-9 instead of 49-0.

was just about to post this news when i read your head scratcher? Who gives out 6 star rankings because 247 has him as a 3 star and a 2 star composite ranking while Rivals ranks him as a 2 star and ESPN gives him 3. Is there a separate rating service for kickers?

I think they are adding up the 247 and ESPN rankings :)

I am optimistic about MSU next season. It may win 7-8 games, and surge at the end. The schedule is favorable and balanced. I wish that Michigan stopped front-loading home games every year.

Last edited:
I am optimistic about MSU next season. It may win 7-8 games, and surge at the end. The schedule is favorable and balanced. I which that Michigan stopped front-loading home games every year.

I assume that's sarcasm since the earliest uofm has played a ranked team since the COVID season was week 7 in 2021...

Back