Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

OT - Dish Network issue

b311j

I thought I would move this conversation out of the Prediction Thread.

And it appears the time has come for me to finally DUMP THE DISH. My local ABC affiliate hasn't shown their channel since March. FSD went down a few weeks ago. Now BTN and FS1 are gone. I live in a rural-ish area where my options are very limited. I had DirecTV years ago, but wasn't happy with all the rain-fade. I switched to Dish and had been satisfied for a number of years. But this is the last straw.

My question to the board, who/what do you use for your 'cable' needs. Michigan games are about the only thing I watch live. So DVR service or an on-demand option are a must for me. A co-worker has raved about PS-Vue. Ive seen a lot of people talk about YouTubeTV. Just looking for some reviews and suggestions.

I thought I would move this conversation out of the Prediction Thread.

And it appears the time has come for me to finally DUMP THE DISH. My local ABC affiliate hasn't shown their channel since March. FSD went down a few weeks ago. Now BTN and FS1 are gone. I live in a rural-ish area where my options are very limited. I had DirecTV years ago, but wasn't happy with all the rain-fade. I switched to Dish and had been satisfied for a number of years. But this is the last straw.

My question to the board, who/what do you use for your 'cable' needs. Michigan games are about the only thing I watch live. So DVR service or an on-demand option are a must for me. A co-worker has raved about PS-Vue. Ive seen a lot of people talk about YouTubeTV. Just looking for some reviews and suggestions.

DirecTV for me. Occasional signal outage does suck, but I can just flip to streaming if I must during those situations.

Even with the best quality streaming, there is just a noticeable difference between watching sporting games through satellite vs stream. Satellite is infinitely better and smoother.

I’m a cheap ass and refuse to pay for cable/satellite. I have PlayStation Vue, it’s not bad. The biggest drawback by far is there is a lag between the stream versus real time that you’d watch with cable or satellite. Which sucks when you’re in text conversations and someone spoils something about to happen so I’ve begun muting my phone during games. I pay $60 a month I think for a core package plus a $10 add on for NFL redzone, ACC network, longhorn network, etc. The core I have comes with espn/2/news/U I believe, BTN, FSD, local channels, basically everything you’d need.

Cut the cord. Go with what Sparty says, I have YouTube TV myself - or go online and stream everything.

Cut the cord. Go with what Sparty says, I have YouTube TV myself - or go online and stream everything.

But that sounds like it only is good for live programming. Does YouTubeTV have some sort of DVR service? Or can you go back and watch previous episodes easily? Or re-broadcasts of the Michigan game, say, a few hours after the game actually started?

But that sounds like it only is good for live programming. Does YouTubeTV have some sort of DVR service? Or can you go back and watch previous episodes easily? Or re-broadcasts of the Michigan game, say, a few hours after the game actually started?

Yep. Unlimited for 90 days.

My friend uses Playstation Vue and he loves it. I believe they have unlimited cloud storage for DVR purposes (you do have to watch the recording within 28 days). They also have a sports package you can upgrade to for only $10 more per month.

Yep. As soon as I get my fiber optic internet installed, I'll be switching to PS Vue or YouTube TV. Can't wait!!

I absolutely hate Dish TV right now. I've have them for years and they do this shit and then they blame the other guy. BS!

Yep. As soon as I get my fiber optic internet installed, I'll be switching to PS Vue or YouTube TV. Can't wait!!

I absolutely hate Dish TV right now. I've have them for years and they do this shit and then they blame the other guy. BS!

Football is one thing the provider will lose every single time. I think dish was in a dispute with FSD, that one I actually think favors Dish because the pro teams here are so pathetic there?s no demand from consumers to get the channel back like a local channel for NFL or BTN/FS1 for college.

Best thing to do is use the trials of the streaming services to get a feel what you might like better.

Football is one thing the provider will lose every single time. I think dish was in a dispute with FSD, that one I actually think favors Dish because the pro teams here are so pathetic there?s no demand from consumers to get the channel back like a local channel for NFL or BTN/FS1 for college.

Last I looked 21 markets were losing fox. And not just local but regional, MLB, NBA, and Hockey get the screw as well.

Last edited:
Update:

Fox Sports Arizona
Fox Sports Carolinas
Fox Sports Detroit
Fox Sports Florida
Fox Sports Indiana
Fox Sports Kansas City
Fox Sports Midwest
Fox Sports New Orleans
Fox Sports North
Fox Sports Ohio
Fox Sports Oklahoma
Fox Sports Prime Ticket
Fox Sports San Diego
Fox Sports South
Fox Sports Southeast
Fox Sports Southwest
Fox Sports Sun
Fox Sports Tennessee
Fox Sports West
Fox Sports Wisconsin
SportsTime Ohio

I'm Direct TV and I love it. The rain sucks but then I start streaming when that happens.

I live in a rural area and use YouTubeTV with an AT&T hotspot (and a Netgear booster). Picture gets a bit fuzzy at times, but 95% of the time it's fine. Unlimited DVR. I record all college games and decide which to go back and watch.

Oh, and I share the YTTV with my daughter and son-in-law, so it's $25 a month. They allow several family members on the same account.

Last edited:
Well, this issue has been resolved

at 8AM this morning, FOX and Dish came to an agreement.

Back