Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Players criticizing guys sitting out bowl games

You keep using the Rice example. Again that game is weird because they should not be playing at the end of the season anyway. Normally a scrub matchup like that doesn't happen as your last game. You schedule scrubs to prepare yourselves for the conference schedule ahead. If he had sat in that game it'd probably be a little more eyebrow raising, but I wouldn't put up a huge stink about it either. And yes as another poster just pointed out, it's his last home game.

How McCaffrey does at the combine is far more relevant/important for himself, than how he might do against UNC.

Last edited:
Fine, I can sure as hell go through the first and 2nd round NFL prospects and find a large quantity of them that played meaningless final regular season games, home or away. Would be more than happy to do that for you.

So if that game was AT Rice, would you still be defending it?

And if it something oddly intangible like playing one more time at Stanford was important to him, I would sure like to think his teammate brotherhood he formed would trump that 90 times. You can't sell me that matters to him, money is all he has on the mind right now.

Last edited:
Fine, I can sure as hell go through the first and 2nd round NFL prospects and find a large quantity of them that played meaningless final regular season games, home or away. Would be more than happy to do that for you.

There is no need. Again I am not saying players "should" make a specific decision on this issue. If players want to play then great, go for it.

I understand why some are choosing not to is all.

I do too, and I'll reserve my right to call them lame for doing so lol.

I have no problem with guys sitting out bowl games if they choose to (in particular projected first round draft picks in mediocre bowls). They've already provided the school with millions, sacrificed their bodies, and put in years of work. They did not do all that so they could go out in front of 500 people to play Memphis or some scrub team, in a pointless game. Why risk getting hurt just to say you were "loyal" for 60 more minutes. Teammates and NFL scouts should understand the decision for what it is.

If Peppers or Lewis decided to sit out, sure it would bother me at first as a fan of the team, but I would get it. The Orange Bowl has a little more prestige to it than these other bowl games though.

The school gives them plenty.

The school gives them plenty.

Never said they didn't. But these types of players give far more value back. McCaffrey WAS Stanford football for the past 2 years. He is the reason people paid to go watch them. He was the star. Yes McCaffrey got a free education and he got exposure. That's the deal, unless they decide to also throw in some stipend money at some point.

Point being, McCaffrey doesn't owe them anything. He did everything and more than any player could possibly do. He's been injured this season and been a workhorse. Playing in front of a few thousand fans against UNC is not something he is obligated to do to "give back" to the school.

If he wants to play then that's tremendous. He said he doesn't want to, and I understand why. If we can believe his tweet about it apparently his teammates back him on his decision.

37211f751e9c759807dd78a779b02de8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Never said they didn't. But these types of players give far more value back. McCaffrey WAS Stanford football for the past 2 years. He is the reason people paid to go watch them. He was the star. Yes McCaffrey got a free education and he got exposure. That's the deal, unless they decide to also throw in some stipend money at some point.

Point being, McCaffrey doesn't owe them anything. He did everything and more than any player could possibly do. He's been injured this season and been a workhorse. Playing in front of a few thousand fans against UNC is not something he is obligated to do to "give back" to the school.

If he wants to play then that's tremendous. He said he doesn't want to, and I understand why. If we can believe his tweet about it apparently his teammates back him on his decision.

I guess we differ on that. Give them a chance to succeed to get drafted, and most important a chance to get an education. And this isn't about giving back to the school but playing for your teammates. Especially the ones who won't play in the NFL. And even when UM went to a sub par bowl I was excited to watch and wanted them to win..

I think McCaffrey is the rare guy that is a football team. Is Miles Garrett, John Allen, Quincy Wilson, Lattimore, Cam Robinson, or any other projected top 15 guy the only show in town for said program?

And yeah, I don't believe his tweet for one second. I'm sure there are plenty of other dudes on his team that are not happy about it.

What's the difference between a kid who skips a Bowl game to prep for the draft and these guys (like Mariota) who skip the combine and other 'work outs?'

Seems that in some cases it's fear of injury and in others it's fear of being exposed...

Matt Leinart came back and took underwater basketweaving, but came back to play at USC and it cost him because his Sr year wasn't as prolific as his Jr year was. He also turned out to be a bust as many analysts have said since -- there was something in his throwing motion that would be a problem in the NFL.

So take a guy like McCaffrey ...what will be be in the NFL? RB? Athlete? Patriots turn him into a ninja offensive weapon?

What about Fournette? Clearly a RB but banged up - is not playing one more game going to make or break him one way or the other? Devontee Booker from UT was drafted last year following two knee surgeries...

I think it's crap and a cop out - all in the name of money and no different than Megatron or Marshawn Lynch calling it good early. I think it's a trend we will see continue and I know first hand that Brock Osweiler doesn't give a shit what Texans fans think about their $72M investment results.

after all ...he got paid!

What's the difference between a kid who skips a Bowl game to prep for the draft and these guys (like Mariota) who skip the combine and other 'work outs?'

Seems that in some cases it's fear of injury and in others it's fear of being exposed...

Matt Leinart came back and took underwater basketweaving, but came back to play at USC and it cost him because his Sr year wasn't as prolific as his Jr year was. He also turned out to be a bust as many analysts have said since -- there was something in his throwing motion that would be a problem in the NFL.

So take a guy like McCaffrey ...what will be be in the NFL? RB? Athlete? Patriots turn him into a ninja offensive weapon?

What about Fournette? Clearly a RB but banged up - is not playing one more game going to make or break him one way or the other? Devontee Booker from UT was drafted last year following two knee surgeries...

I think it's crap and a cop out - all in the name of money and no different than Megatron or Marshawn Lynch calling it good early. I think it's a trend we will see continue and I know first hand that Brock Osweiler doesn't give a shit what Texans fans think about their $72M investment results.

I agree it's all about the money and I don't blame them one bit. I applaud guys like Megatron and Lynch for having the balls to retire early. Make enough money that you think you can retire on and get the fuck out!

I think it's lame. You go out there and play with your team one more time. It is a team game.

I have no problem with Michigan players answering a question about it honestly. I doubt it will affect McCaffrey one way or another...either brother. Just a note, though, I'm thinking he is an early enrollee, so he'll be on campus a lot sooner than signing day, but whatever...

Seems you guys are missing Dubbs point. He is saying, when will these guys stop playing games during the season? Where will they draw the line? Sure, McCaffrey played Rice. What happens next season when a player or 2 decides to "call it good" X games into the season.

As far as getting hurt, you can slip on the ice walking to your car and get hurt. Are they going to hide in a cave until draft day?

I think it's lame. You go out there and play with your team one more time. It is a team game.

I have no problem with Michigan players answering a question about it honestly. I doubt it will affect McCaffrey one way or another...either brother. Just a note, though, I'm thinking he is an early enrollee, so he'll be on campus a lot sooner than signing day, but whatever...

Seems you guys are missing Dubbs point. He is saying, when will these guys stop playing games during the season? Where will they draw the line? Sure, McCaffrey played Rice. What happens next season when a player or 2 decides to "call it good" X games into the season.

As far as getting hurt, you can slip on the ice walking to your car and get hurt. Are they going to hide in a cave until draft day?

My guess is players like Fournette and McCaffrey are done with classes and most likely are no longer students at the school. I think the school / athletic department would have something to say if players quit while still going to school.

My guess is players like Fournette and McCaffrey are done with classes and most likely are no longer students at the school. I think the school / athletic department would have something to say if players quit while still going to school.

Ok, so the attitude that they have done enough is still going to be there. Say a player calls it quit 8 games into the season. What does he care if he has to quit going to class? He'll just drive home and start getting ready for the draft.

Players don't have to go to college. They can just sit at home for 3 years, then enter the draft if they want to. Instead, they use college football games to showcase their skills and develop those skills to get into the NFL, at least the ones that will make it. Once they've "shown enough," they can skip out on school where they didn't plan on getting a degree anyway and call it good. Sign with an agent and start working out for the draft. After all, these ones that are 1st round projections will start getting paid immediately by agents and endorsement deals.

We'll see how people's attitudes change when next year, someone drops out of school in Nov to prepare for the draft...

Honestly, I think Jaylen Smith scared all these guys. It's one of the hundreds of football games they have played. The odds of this one in particular being the one that ruins their life is nil. Unless it's a MASSIVE injury like nerve damage or some insane leg explosion, the player will be ready for the season if they get hurt in a bowl game.

And if they think that bowl game is going to be the one that does them in, wait till they get to the league where everyone is 900 times more powerful and athletic.

It's a fun discussion. But you are on a team, and even though it's after the season, you are still part of that team. I know it's totally minor league to make this comparison but I will. I've played on tons of rec leagues where we've been all but eliminated early on. I continue to support and play with the team because we work together. These dudes will have plenty of time to make millions, and they will.

Or they get hurt, stay in school, get a great degree, and go work for a living

wahhhhhhhhhhhh wahhhhhhhhhhhhhh wahhhhhhhhhhhhh

How horrible is that?

Honestly, I think Jaylen Smith scared all these guys. It's one of the hundreds of football games they have played. The odds of this one in particular being the one that ruins their life is nil. Unless it's a MASSIVE injury like nerve damage or some insane leg explosion, the player will be ready for the season if they get hurt in a bowl game.

And if they think that bowl game is going to be the one that does them in, wait till they get to the league where everyone is 900 times more powerful and athletic.

It's a fun discussion. But you are on a team, and even though it's after the season, you are still part of that team. I know it's totally minor league to make this comparison but I will. I've played on tons of rec leagues where we've been all but eliminated early on. I continue to support and play with the team because we work together. These dudes will have plenty of time to make millions, and they will.

The injury risk, to running backs in particular, certainly isn't nil in any particular game. Injuries less than catastrophic can cost a player millions of dollars.

Personally, I'd like to see these kids play in their bowl games. I'd certainly be more perturbed if I had a rooting interest in the game. But either way I understand the decision because it's not my future earnings at stake.

I think they like to do their own workout with their own guys on their own football field. And some that skip certain workouts, being exposed is probably correct.

Osweiler, what a bust. In his first year their too. Someone mentioned above, I wonder if a HC and GM will see this as a bush move and possible effect their draft status.

Hail, I'm speaking on the games played side vs the risk per game. I'm saying the chance of them getting hurt IN THAT ONE GAME compared to the hundreds they have already played is nil. Or, it's equal to every single game they've played.

Back