Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Porcello/Sanchez/Smyly

@Stakesarehigh

If you're DD do you make a play to keep Sanchez at 8 million per (ish) or do you save payroll and stick with Porcello/Smyly

If you do make a play on Sanchez do you trade Porcello?

Me personally I'd try and resign Sanchez and look for a partner on Porcello..with Cabrera at 3rd through 2014 it's just not going to get any easier for Rick imo...it's no surprise his best season was with an IF of Inge, Everett, and Polanco...I'm not seeing that kind of IF for the tigers any time soon.

Pass on Sanchez.

He's going to cost too much compared to what he's actually worth. Try to package Porcello with some of out other players who need to take a hike. Look for 1 starter in the offseason and let Smyly/Below compete for the other spot in the spring.

I'll take Sanchez. I've seen enough the pass 6 starts to see he could become a solid 3 guy. Even though he'd be a 4 for us. Porcello and Smyly, no thanks.

Most people will say, well those aren't bad for a number 5 but what rule says the number 5 should suck.

Not sure how much he wants but any starter will cost. Unless you can pull another Fister type deal.

Well if the tigers go and sign a FA or resign sanchez they still will have to pick either smyly or porcello...I've seen enough of Porcello to know he can't work with the current construct of the infield...I think Rick could be a solid four or five on a team with good D as he would be able to pitch with more confidence.

You can always go into next year with Smyly and if he doesn't work out try and make a june/july move for an additional starter as they have three of the last four seasons.

I think you try to include Porcello in a package and try and trade for a quality corner OF or SS. Sign a FA starter (hopefully better than Sanchez) and see what Smyly can do.

I think you try to include Porcello in a package and try and trade for a quality corner OF or SS. Sign a FA starter (hopefully better than Sanchez) and see what Smyly can do.

I like this, been thinking the same. Is there a GM that will take Rick and the piece of drek known as Boesch in a package for the aforementioned corner of'er or ss?
Rick blows up usually after 75 pitches, if not sooner, and usually grooves pitches, too many hanging sinkers, slider, 2 seamers, you name it. Boesch is worse than an enigma, terrible plate discipline + pitch recognition, and might be the worst rightfielder I have ever seen in a Tigers uniform.
where is that dumb GM for a trade?

I like this, been thinking the same. Is there a GM that will take Rick and the piece of drek known as Boesch in a package for the aforementioned corner of'er or ss?
Rick blows up usually after 75 pitches, if not sooner, and usually grooves pitches, too many hanging sinkers, slider, 2 seamers, you name it. Boesch is worse than an enigma, terrible plate discipline + pitch recognition, and might be the worst rightfielder I have ever seen in a Tigers uniform.

I think that Rick would be a good fit on an NL team that has a good defense. There will be a team that thinks they can turn him around. If he does get traded to an NL team I can see him having success. Maybe try and find a corner OF that is on the last year or has two years left and is slightly over paid and trade Rick and Boesch to get him. That would bridge the gap until Castenellos or Garcia are ready.

Only one of Sanchez' seven good starts (3 or fewer ER) have come against a team ranked in the top half of runs scored in the AL. His 7ip, 7h, 3er performance against the Angels. Five of his other "good" starts have come against either KC or Cleveland - 12th and 13th (out of 14) respectively in the AL.

Sure, it can be argued that he'd pitch against those teams quite a bit in the future, but that's not the type of guy I'd want to count on in the playoffs. Pass.

I think that Rick would be a good fit on an NL team that has a good defense. There will be a team that thinks they can turn him around. If he does get traded to an NL team I can see him having success...

Plus it'd be easier to rationalize having to yank him earlier in the game since pitchers hit.

I think an interesting guy could possibly be Shields..the rays are pitching rich as is and may not pick up his option... but all in all could shape up to be a fairly decent FA market for pitchers depending on some club decisions.

MY only concern is that he is only 23 and has almost 700 innings of major league work. How many guys can say that. And it usually takes pitchers until they are 26-27 to gain consistency. I am discouraged by his lack of development both in terms of pitch development and stamina (no excuse for that). But I think when you weigh the options, he comes back as the fifth starter. I think Sanchez is gone, so maybe a FA 4SP comes along. And then you have Below and Smyly as long men or when the 4SP or 5 SP start to spit it up.

Boesch has the second worst WAR of all qualified outfielders over the last 3 seasons...if the tigers can find someone willing to take him on in a trade they should pull the trigger lol...like you said will take a randy smithesque kind of GM

MY only concern is that he is only 23 and has almost 700 innings of major league work. How many guys can say that. And it usually takes pitchers until they are 26-27 to gain consistency. I am discouraged by his lack of development both in terms of pitch development and stamina (no excuse for that). But I think when you weigh the options, he comes back as the fifth starter. I think Sanchez is gone, so maybe a FA 4SP comes along. And then you have Below and Smyly as long men or when the 4SP or 5 SP start to spit it up.

it is enticing to cross your fingers and pray Rick makes the kind of strides that seem inevitable for a guy of only 23 but if I'm DD I'd try and see if there is another GM out there intrigued enough by Rick's upside while he still has some left. It's been three full seasons of Porcello being one of the easiest pitchers to hit in baseball...hitters have hit almost .300 off him since 2010.

Only one of Sanchez' seven good starts (3 or fewer ER) have come against a team ranked in the top half of runs scored in the AL. His 7ip, 7h, 3er performance against the Angels. Five of his other "good" starts have come against either KC or Cleveland - 12th and 13th (out of 14) respectively in the AL.

Sure, it can be argued that he'd pitch against those teams quite a bit in the future, but that's not the type of guy I'd want to count on in the playoffs. Pass.

Yep, Handball Sanchez seems to do well against the little guys and get bombed by the big boys.

I'll take Sanchez. I've seen enough the pass 6 starts to see he could become a solid 3 guy. Even though he'd be a 4 for us. Porcello and Smyly, no thanks.

Most people will say, well those aren't bad for a number 5 but what rule says the number 5 should suck.

Not sure how much he wants but any starter will cost. Unless you can pull another Fister type deal.

A solid 3 guys who went over 7 inning 1 time all year?

His last start was fantastic, but let's not forget the start before that he had a perfect game going, and ended up giving up 6 ER in 5.1 innings.

Edit: and Smyly already has better stuff.
Sanchez is as big a question mark as Porcello is, they both can be very good at times, but you always know sooner or later they're going to implode.

Sanchez is going to command money he is not worth.

Last edited:
I was actually surprised by Sanchez's relatively solid numbers over the last 3 plus seasons...yes he has been up and down as a tiger but for me it all depends on the money he gets offered...if the red sox decide they want him I'd agree he isn't going to be worth it.

I was actually surprised by Sanchez's relatively solid numbers over the last 3 plus seasons...yes he has been up and down as a tiger but for me it all depends on the money he gets offered...if the red sox decide they want him I'd agree he isn't going to be worth it.

I don't trust a guy like him. Some success in the NL but inconsistant. Reminds me of Ubaldo Jimenez

I don't trust a guy like him. Some success in the NL but inconsistant. Reminds me of Ubaldo Jimenez

do agree you have to take the NL to AL transition into account.

anyone else you like off the pending FA list?

quite a few options to be decided and I know no superstars (albeit grienke and possibly haren out there) but about 15 pretty good arms could potentially be out there

Porcello has been next door to useless for the last month and a half. Ditch him...

Back