Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Predictions...

hellifino

because guys like me don't have to look at stats, or see Spring training to know how the season is going to be.

Also sticky this, and throw it into some other sticky, so we can all check it from time to time.

Wins 88
runs... 59 less than we had last year
add your own.
Verlander 17 wins
Avila hitting .145 and is put on the DL list

Last edited:
The Avila prediction I could see happening. His bat is really slow and he really struggles with offspeed pitches that aren't mistakes. He's just not a very good hitter.

I predict our run differential to be about the same as last year despite a slight dip in runs scored.

I predict Verlander returns to beast mode and competes for Cy Young.

Dirks and AJax have bounce back years, just not on par with their best production.

Pitching will be very slightly down overall... Scherzer slightly down, Smyly not able to replicate Fister's production, but (call me crazy) BP has a slightly better year overall (Al Al, Joba, Coke, and Rondon all better than they were last year to one level or another). We get one more lucky year with no major injuries to the staff.

I predict Hunter starts to decline (finally), but manages one more good year for us.

Avila bounces back, .250/.325/.425 but gets more rest days this year.

Castellanos plays decent defense, maybe even league average, but despite a solid spring struggles at the plate early. Fans panic, the world is ending by June, but even by the end of May he starts to come around. Has a solid 2nd half OPS around .750 despite fading somewhat in September. Manages to start 140+ games and will be our starting 3b again next year.

Tigers win division with around 90 wins. Beyond that, it all depends on who is healthy. I like our chances.

Last edited:
I predict our run differential to be about the same as last year despite a slight dip in runs scored.

I predict Verlander returns to beast mode and competes for Cy Young.

Dirks and AJax have bounce back years, just not on par with their best production.

Pitching will be very slightly down overall... Scherzer slightly down, Smyly not able to replicate Fister's production, but (call me crazy) BP has a slightly better year overall (Al Al, Joba, Coke, and Rondon all better than they were last year to one level or another). We get one more lucky year with no major injuries to the staff.

I predict Hunter starts to decline (finally), but manages one more good year for us.

Avila bounces back, .250/.325/.425 but gets more rest days this year.

Castellanos plays decent defense, maybe even league average, but despite a solid spring struggles at the plate early. Fans panic, the world is ending by June, but even by the end of May he starts to come around. Has a solid 2nd half OPS around .750 despite fading somewhat in September. Manages to start 140+ games and will be our starting 3b again next year.

Tigers win division with around 90 wins. Beyond that, it all depends on who is healthy. I like our chances.

These are all reasonable.

Here are mine.

I also think that the run differential will be similar. I think that the Tigers will not have as many "huge" offensive games but will be more successful in the late innings due to the ability to manufacture runs. I think they will be shut out fewer times next year. I think JV will have a better year than last but not be in CY contention. Max comes down to earth a bit but Sanchez has another good season. I think Porcello takes another small step forward. The bull pen will be about the same.

Offensively I think Avila has a better year (he almost has to!) and Dirks & Davis have a good platoon. Miggy will be Miggy but probably no MVP. Hunter will regress a bit and V-Mart has similar numbers this year but more consistant. Kinsler will be better than most think...a ton of doubles but less HRs.

I think they win 90-93 games and win the division.

I'll make a bold prediction and say the Tigers do not win the AL Central this year.

I can't say who will win it or whether the Tigers make the playoffs or not, but that's what I'll put out there for now.

I think the Tiger's will win the division. I know the Yankee's, Ranger's, A's, and Ray's are gonna be tough to beat. The Yankees improved a lot in my mind. Red Sox are not going to be as good. The A's have a real nice team. I think KC is gonna surprise everyone and be in contention at the end. I think Seattle will be the most improved in the AL. JV wins the CY. Miggy will 3-peat. This is the year the A's make it to the WS.

Washington, Atlanta, St. Louis, and Dodger's are the best on paper. Surprise team will be Arizona. I think they make it to the WS. Colorado will be the most improved. Wainwright wins CY, Goldsmith wins MVP

Arizona wins the WS in 7

I predict a very disappointing season. Either Cleveland or Kansas City will win the division.. and may both end up ahead of us in the standings. I predict 2nd, and possibly 3rd place for us. I also predict that we have a significant injury to one of our core guys(Hunter, Vmart most likely).

Too much gloom goin on, guys! I know the offseason didnt go at all like most of us wanted (me included), but I still dont see a way we lose the division unless we're completely wrecked by injuries.

The Royals offense looks fairly scary on paper (as does their bullpen), but it might not work out that way in the end, and their rotation is a shambles outside Shields. They'll come in 2nd and its possible (but not likely IMO) that they'll get a wild card, but personally i doubt they'll be very much over .500 if they are at all.

The Indians are fucked. They overplayed their talent level last year and got worse in the offseason. Their bullpen is worse, their rotation is much worse, and their offense is fairly meh. I doubt they'll even finish over .500 (though they could).

The Sux and Twins are going to fight for last place, no ifs, ands, or buts.

We'll almost for sure win our division and hit at least 90 wins, its the playoffs im worried about with our bullpen. And who knows what the offense is going to do.

I don't see 90 wins with this team. Not with the starters we have, not with the sad bench, or the patchwork bullpen. And the rotation will very likely regress from last year.

I believe we can win the division, but it's going to be a fight.

I feel like the White Sox have an outside chance of being division contenders. I know it may not happen this year, but it also might. Adam Eaton and Matt Davidson are very good acquisitions. Eaton will be an all-star for years, mark my words on that. Their rotation is worse right now, but they have two good young hurlers in Erik Johnson and Rienzo. Eaton will probably perform at a high level, while Davidson may be a work in progress. Garcia could also take a leap forward.. I have a feeling we will hate facing Eaton so many times a year.. he's a guy I've kept tabs on the past couple years.

I predict we'll be fighting to get to .500 most of the year, never really in contention. That Max will have an ERA in the 4's. And Smyly will fail, at least in comparison to Fister. And Lombardozzi will be a joke. But we'll have more SB than we did the year before..

I predict we'll be fighting to get to .500 most of the year, never really in contention. That Max will have an ERA in the 4's. And Smyly will fail, at least in comparison to Fister. And Lombardozzi will be a joke. But we'll have more SB than we did the year before..

While all of this could be correct I respectfully disagree. My guess is they will be above .500 for most of the season. Max's era should be around 3.5 or lower for most of the year. Smyly will most definitely be worse than Fister but I think Porcello & JV will have better years than 2013. As far as Lombardozzi....does it even matter? He is a part time player taking Santiago's place who in 205 AB hit .224 with a .586 OPS. He will be better than that.

While all of this could be correct I respectfully disagree. My guess is they will be above .500 for most of the season. Max's era should be around 3.5 or lower for most of the year. Smyly will most definitely be worse than Fister but I think Porcello & JV will have better years than 2013. As far as Lombardozzi....does it even matter? He is a part time player taking Santiago's place who in 205 AB hit .224 with a .586 OPS. He will be better than that.

Just going bold. I hope it's all wrong. On paper this team is not as good as last year. I worry about LF, 3B, the bench depth, and the BP. Plus the lack of power..

I could change my predictions towards the end of spring training. If the Tiger's make a move for a power bat off the bench and add some proven bullpen depth, I would feel better about our chances of winning it all.

I would be surprised if Coke and Kelly make the team. I think the setup role is going to be a question heading into the regular season.

This could be a very exciting team with the added speed and improved defense but it could easily go the other way offensively as Rebbiv has been pointing out. I hope they put Jackson down in the order (6th) so he is under no pressure. I think he could add some power down there. If Avila can hit like he did in the 2nd half, that would be a huge bonus. Look for Vmart to have a solid season since he is at 100%

I could change my predictions towards the end of spring training. If the Tiger's make a move for a power bat off the bench and add some proven bullpen depth, I would feel better about our chances of winning it all.

I would be surprised if Coke and Kelly make the team. I think the setup role is going to be a question heading into the regular season.

This could be a very exciting team with the added speed and improved defense but it could easily go the other way offensively as Rebbiv has been pointing out. I hope they put Jackson down in the order (6th) so he is under no pressure. I think he could add some power down there. If Avila can hit like he did in the 2nd half, that would be a huge bonus. Look for Vmart to have a solid season since he is at 100%

I don't see them adding any power bat this spring. I do think AJ will be batting towards down in the order this year. I think it will be Kinsler leading off followed by Hunter, Miggy then V-Mart. I would be happy if Coke and Kelly arn't on the opening day roster.

Back