Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Quinn in as GM

That would be tampering. He still has to get New England's permission to interview their coach under contract.

A text message would violate league rules.

The interview might be a very short, informal one, but it would still have to take place to satisfy league requirements, and we would still have to make a Rooney Rule interview prior to hiring McDaniels.

I'm wondering if he can fire Caldwell then interview him to full fill the Rodney rule. Lol.

I'm wondering if he can fire Caldwell then interview him to full fill the Rodney rule. Lol.

Yes, by rule he could, although it would probably make more sense in that case to just interview Austin.

I would think today is the best day to make an announcement. If Caldwell is staying or going, it gets buried by the Rams/Chargers/Raiders news.

If Quinn does things the Patriot way, he is going to avoid make big waves in the media. If he is a guy who wants the spotlight, he will wait.

I would think today is the best day to make an announcement. If Caldwell is staying or going, it gets buried by the Rams/Chargers/Raiders news.

If Quinn does things the Patriot way, he is going to avoid make big waves in the media. If he is a guy who wants the spotlight, he will wait.

He's not looking for a big spotlight. As nervous as he was at his press conference, he doesn't even want to talk to reporters. Poor kid was not ready for the cameras and questions, but did well enough.

Doesn't look like he's a media hound just yet.

It's a process. Out of respect for Caldwell, he will have deep discussions and make his decision. Caldwell can adapt to anything which is why I think he stays on.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

The longer we go without hearing a decision, the better it looks for Caldwell in my opinion.

It makes no sense. And it's still best to interview guys even if you're honing in on one. Gase signed, now Hue Jackson went to the number 1 shit hole. I don't care if McDaniel's is his top guy. What if he says no? New GM's make up their mind by now.

Caldwell is probably just sitting in a hotel room and is like "WTF, I can't play any more Madden."

Last edited:
It makes no sense. And it's still best to interview guys even if you're honing in on one. Gase signed, now Hue Jackson went to the number 1 shit hole. I don't care if McDaniel's is his top guy. What if he says no?

that might be the reason Caldwell hasn't been fired yet. If McDaniel says no he keeps Caldwell...if he says yes, Caldwell is fired.

that might be the reason Caldwell hasn't been fired yet. If McDaniel says no he keeps Caldwell...if he says yes, Caldwell is fired.

I think that's why you interview other coaches. If he hangs on to someone he doesn't want what kind of GM is he?

Guys, relax...

He has a plan, let it play out. Naming the coach now doesn't make next year start sooner. ;)

I completely trust this guy. Not able to put a finger on it, but this is going to be a good era for Lions football.

He's still getting familiar with new surroundings and people. He has time, and a good GM does quality analysis but avoids the paralysis. Others are jumping quick, possibly too quick. If Quinn wanted one of those guys he would have gone after them. They were not who he wants.

Give him a little rope, see what he does with it. He seems the type who has dozens of potential scenarios in play and is adjusting them as necessary until the final plan eventually falls into place. The coach is an important piece to all of that, but not the only one. He has numerous other pieces to look at and determine which candidates make the best fits. Caldwell unfortunately is still part of those potentials due to familiarity and Quinn needs to make certain any new coach will have higher degree of success. While I will be pissed if Caldwell stays, I get that it is better to keep him as the bar someone else has to better than. Caldwell might be around until the week after New England is no longer playing, so be it. Caldwell still gets paid so he can't really bitch about it.

I think that's why you interview other coaches. If he hangs on to someone he doesn't want what kind of GM is he?

One who is patient with this process to make sure he is getting someone better in place so as to not have the team regress.

Remember, Martha wants an immediate winner, so Quinn has to be certain a new coach improves the team more than Caldwell will at a minimum. Hate to admit it, but next year the Lions under Caldwell will make it to the playoffs. Quinn's mission is to make sure a new coach will not only make it to that point but win a playoff game, something Caldwell likely will not do.

Guys, relax...

He has a plan, let it play out. Naming the coach now doesn't make next year start sooner. ;)

I completely trust this guy. Not able to put a finger on it, but this is going to be a good era for Lions football.

He's still getting familiar with new surroundings and people. He has time, and a good GM does quality analysis but avoids the paralysis. Others are jumping quick, possibly too quick. If Quinn wanted one of those guys he would have gone after them. They were not who he wants.

Give him a little rope, see what he does with it. He seems the type who has dozens of potential scenarios in play and is adjusting them as necessary until the final plan eventually falls into place. The coach is an important piece to all of that, but not the only one. He has numerous other pieces to look at and determine which candidates make the best fits. Caldwell unfortunately is still part of those potentials due to familiarity and Quinn needs to make certain any new coach will have higher degree of success. While I will be pissed if Caldwell stays, I get that it is better to keep him as the bar someone else has to better than. Caldwell might be around until the week after New England is no longer playing, so be it. Caldwell still gets paid so he can't really bitch about it.

Honestly, fuck him. Is he going to take this much time on all his decisions?

"Ooh, sorry Bob. Trade deadline was 3 days ago."

You either like a guy or you don't. He knows by now if he wants to keep Caldwell or not. Just tell us.

Honestly, fuck him. Is he going to take this much time on all his decisions?

"Ooh, sorry Bob. Trade deadline was 3 days ago."

I get the angst, but I'm of the opinion if was able to pull the trigger at this point, he would have.

Wait until after the coach is named to judge. If he gets a great coach, then all is good. Sure he hasn't landed anyone yet, but that doesn't mean he is doing nothing.

If he keeps Caldwell I will be upset, but I get there are several really good candidates who cannot be contacted yet. Better to wait and if they all turn him down then Caldwell stays on. Firing Caldwell means you have no fallback position. Keeping him means the team makes the playoffs at a minimum.

He is hedging his bets. With the criteria of meshing with the scouts, maybe the other potentials didn't fit the mold.

Making him a villain before he has named the next coach is way premature.

I get the angst, but I'm of the opinion if was able to pull the trigger at this point, he would have.

Wait until after the coach is named to judge. If he gets a great coach, then all is good. Sure he hasn't landed anyone yet, but that doesn't mean he is doing nothing.

If he keeps Caldwell I will be upset, but I get there are several really good candidates who cannot be contacted yet. Better to wait and if they all turn him down then Caldwell stays on. Firing Caldwell means you have no fallback position. Keeping him means the team makes the playoffs at a minimum.

You have lots of fall back options. There would have been more if maybe he makes the decision sooner. Could have made it Saturday. And truthfully I don't want our new GM going to his fallback position.

Mitch there are less dots to connect here than a 5 year old's coloring book. Option A He wants one of the two Pats coordinators and no one including him can ask them if they want the job. Option B Caldwell, he doesn't see any other coach on the market this year that can elevate the team immediately and will stick with Caldwell if the other two say no thanks.

Last edited:
If there are any bitches to be made they should be why did it take so long for the Lions to get their man for GM? Maybe Gase or one of the other guys that were hired already were higher on Quinn's coaching wish list.

Mitch there are less dots to connect here than a 5 year old's coloring book. Option A He wants one of the two Pats coordinators and no one including him can ask them if they want the job. Option B Caldwell, he doesn't see any other coach on the market this year that can elevate the team immediately and will stick with Caldwell if the other two say no thanks.

Bam!

Back