Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

RB situation

Judging by some of the fans around here, Zenner would be 2nd string QB. Guy fell from heaven on the wings of angels.

Bell was undrafted...no reason another undrafted guy couldn't beat out the guys on this roster.

Yeah you may be right. Olandis Gary, James Stewart, there's been some really average/bad ones through the pipes.

But still, I don't think this situation is as great as some think it is. A ton of unknowns/good showings in meaningless football.

James Stewart wasn't all that bad. And he certainly could get those first downs on short yardage situations.

Tony, when everyone is just gushing over this kid about how amazing he's been, sometimes you have to take a step back and remember what you are watching. This preseason star stuff has happened every year like clockwork with someone who ends up being traded, dumped, or on the practice squad. So forgive me for being just a bit skeptical about him until he shows it on the real field against a real team.

Tony, when everyone is just gushing over this kid about how amazing he's been, sometimes you have to take a step back and remember what you are watching. This preseason star stuff has happened every year like clockwork with someone who ends up being traded, dumped, or on the practice squad. So forgive me for being just a bit skeptical about him until he shows it on the real field against a real team.

I get it, but your skepticism is based on nothing but the fact that others like him and it's the preseason. I haven't seen one post where you mention any physical attributes that make you question his NFL ability. While I don't think you need to be doing cartwheels every time Zenner breaks a 7 yard run......it's OK to be optimistic every so often.

Zenner is a big kid. 5'11" 225 lbs with good feet for his size and a good burst for someone that big (4.6 40 yard time). Runs hard. Not going to go down easily with arm tackles. North/south runner who hits the hole at full speed. He did really well against the tougher competition he did face while at SDSU. For example....they played Nebraska in 2013 and he had 21 carries for 202 yds and 2 TD (both 1st quarter when the game was extremely close) For comparisons sake......Michigan ran 36 times against Nebraska that same year for -21 yards. Yep.....-21.

Is anyone saying he is great. No. He's young, has potential to develop into a solid NFL backup/short yardage back and he's a good story.

More about the preseason, less about others getting excited. I'm not on here to counter and make this board interesting. I've just seen this story on an almost yearly basis. Insert name here, will be a stud. I've become a bit apathetic towards the annual preseason hero. Same way I feel about how Tate Forcier and Denard Robinson were after one month.

It's cool to see him doing well, but need to keep everything in context.

Last edited:
More about the preseason, less about others getting excited. I'm not on here to counter and make this board interesting. I've just seen this story on an almost yearly basis. Insert name here, will be a stud. I've become a bit apathetic towards the annual preseason hero. Same way I feel about how Tate Forcier and Denard Robinson were after one month.

Insert Slay and Ansah and they become a stud. Already done. Ngata is a stud. Levy is a stud. Quin is as stud. Tulloch is very good. Walker was good and looking good so far (incredible bull rush). Can't wait to see Ngata and Walker side by side.

Offense year 2 of the system, plenty of weapons and they upgraded the Oline interior and got some health. Can't wait to see how explosive this offense can be. It should be better than the 2011 offense.

None of what you had to say applied to this conversation.

You copied and pasted from the wrong cell on your spreadsheet.

None of what you had to say applied to this conversation.

You copied and pasted from the wrong cell on your spreadsheet.

It applies to everything.

30 PPG offense. 18 PPG defense. Can't wait.

I'm pretty sure most of see Zenner as a 3rd string RB. You seem to want him to come in and dominate 1st team defenses in order to "prove" something. What #3 RB in the NFL is going to do that?? Nobody.

He looks really good against people he is supposed to look really good against. Nothing wrong with that. It seems sometimes the negative people on this board get too caught up in WHERE someone was drafted and less concerned about the actual skill set they bring to the table. There's a reason there are so many 1st round busts and UDFA's that ....... sometimes ...... SOMETIMES......are All Pro's.

1st round or UDFA......Zenner is one of the best 53 in Honolulu Blue so far.

Last edited:
The context is the man has been racking up yards, and is playing well. He's earned his spot.

I'm pretty sure most of see Zenner as a 3rd string RB. You seem to want him to come in and dominate 1st team defenses in order to "prove" something. What #3 RB in the NFL is going to do that?? Nobody.

He looks really good against people he is supposed to look really good against. Nothing wrong with that. It seems sometimes the negative people on this board get too caught up in WHERE someone was drafted and less concerned about the actual skill set they bring to the table. There's a reason there are so many 1st round busts and UDFA's that ....... sometimes ...... SOMETIMES......are All Pro's.

1st round or UDFA......Zenner is one of the best 53 in Honolulu Blue so far.

Most see him as a #3 or 4 but the OP is talking about trading our starter and rolling with Zenner. I think he makes the team and gets limited carries so he better be good on special teams and pass protection.

Gushing? It's a good story. The kid rushed for 2,000+ yds THREE seasons in a row in college. That's NEVER been done before. There's talent there wether you believe it or not.
Be skeptical. Fine, but the kid can play. And it's not about gushing over him. Nobody is pushing for him to take over the #1 job. He deserves a roster spot though and he's gonzo if he lands on the PS.
And he did play well for 3 games in a row. Not his fault that he didn't go up against the #1's and #2's every snap, but he showed he can ball. He's proven himself on the practice field and in LIVE action. It's a small sample size, but it's 100% noteworthy.

Most see him as a #3 or 4 but the OP is talking about trading our starter and rolling with Zenner. I think he makes the team and gets limited carries so he better be good on special teams and pass protection.

He is capable of being #2, rolling with the two rooks would be quite doable. Now, is that best for team, no. But both rooks are capable.Make Winn the #3 back to play ST if that is our preference. Yes, I am 100% serious that this would be a very good backfield to have, though Winn would get minimal carries and be basically only a ST player.

Bell is just now coming back. Riddick has been good, but has reached his ceiling at this point which is why they drafted Abdullah.

I love how Bell plays, but concerned how the injuries will impact his play. He is #1 going in, but Riddick being #2 is open for debate.

I love how Nyquil always has ball security as his primary concern. He is very decisive in hitting holes and always falls forward. As he progressed and started playing vs 2s and then 1s the thing people who watched him noticed was how he was breaking more tackles against better competition.

Gushing? It's a good story. The kid rushed for 2,000+ yds THREE seasons in a row in college. That's NEVER been done before. There's talent there wether you believe it or not.
Be skeptical. Fine, but the kid can play. And it's not about gushing over him. Nobody is pushing for him to take over the #1 job. He deserves a roster spot though and he's gonzo if he lands on the PS.
And he did play well for 3 games in a row. Not his fault that he didn't go up against the #1's and #2's every snap, but he showed he can ball. He's proven himself on the practice field and in LIVE action. It's a small sample size, but it's 100% noteworthy.

Not on this board, damn it! Saying anything positive about anyone in preseason means you think he should be a day 1 starter and future HOF'er!

He's never even played a real snap, fucker!

Not on this board, damn it! Saying anything positive about anyone in preseason means you think he should be a day 1 starter and future HOF'er!

He's never even played a real snap, fucker!

To be fair the OP did say he would try and trade bell to keep zenner on the team.

Back