Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Red Wings 5 Canadiens 4 Shootout Final

Washington 89 points
81 Games Played
( 39-31-11)
@ Philadelphia
==================================
Detroit 89 points
81 Games Played
(40-32-9)
Montreal
@ Montreal
Pittsburgh 88 points
(38-31-12)
81 Games Played
@ NYI
=================================
Philadelphia 87 points
81 games played
(38-32-11)
Washington.

NHL standings . I thought Philadelphia would be eliminated ? Tiebreakers are Regualton wins and they can only tie Washington. I guess Philadelphia can tie Washington in regulation wins if they win in regulation. Not sure after that .
Philadelphia needs both Detroit to lose and Pittsburgh to lose.

Need 2 and Wash. not to get 2. Easy enough. Disappointed with Boston crapping the bed tonight though.

So Philadelphia is on par with Washington and will win the tiebreaker over them if they win in regulation.

Even if Washington wins tonight, the Flyers can still pass the Capitals. Both teams are tied in three tiebreakers — regulation wins (30), regulation/overtime wins (34) and overall wins (38).

If Washington beats Boston in regulation, the Flyers would have to beat the Capitals in regulation. If Washington beats Boston in overtime or the shootout, the Flyers would be fine if they beat the Capitals in regulation or overtime.

Because the final tiebreaker for the Flyers and Capitals could come down to more points in the head-to-head regular-season series or goal differential for the entire regular season. The Flyers and Capitals split their first two meetings. The Flyers won in a shootout, so they have two points compared to Washington's three.

If the Flyers beat the Capitals after regulation, causing both teams to have the same number of points in the head-to-head series, the Flyers should finish with a better goal differential. The Flyers enter Monday at minus-25 and the Capitals minus-40.

If Washington earns one or no points tonight, the Flyers could beat the Capitals in any fashion and finish ahead of them.

Need 2 and Wash. not to get 2. Easy enough. Disappointed with Boston crapping the bed tonight though.
At least Philadelphia has something to play for Tuesday. Boston did to and they just didn’t show up. Terrible performance by Boston.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, I think Philly would best Wash. on the 6th tie-breaker, if they win.

Yup. I think it’s goal differential if Philadelphia beats Washington, and they get the losses from Pittsburgh and Detroit. Crazy. Maybe the NHL should bring in the play in format like the nba ?

Yup. I think it’s goal differential if Philadelphia beats Washington, and they get the losses from Pittsburgh and Detroit. Crazy. Maybe the NHL should bring in the play in format like the nba ?
Nah. If they did only top 6 get in plus 4 playins for last two spots. I kind of like the wild card fight.. I don't want the chance an under .500 team has a chance, like the NBA East.

Nah. If they did only top 6 get in plus 4 playins for last two spots. I kind of like the wild card fight.. I don't want the chance an under .500 team has a chance, like the NBA East.
To many teams are sort of over .500 in the NHL unlike the nba. Even the NHL west has 10 over .500 teams. The East has 12. Most years it would never happen unlike the NBA. So pathetic the Pistons can’t even make the top 10. But I get what you are saying.
It may happen single elimination is very exciting.

Oh I forgot to post this on the last game thread. But the Wings were pretty lifeless down 4-2 in the third period with at 10:35 left . Montreal was really bottling us up.
Two octopus were thrown on the ice. Back to back. Wings comeback and win 5-4.

In 1952 it took only eight wins to lift the Stanley Cup, which is also the number of arms octopuses have.

The first instance occurred on April 15, 1952. Pete and Jerry Cusimano, brothers and storeowners in Detroit's Eastern Market, threw an octopus on the ice of Olympia Stadium in Detroit. The Red Wings would go on to sweep the Toronto Maple Leafs and Montreal Canadiens to win the title, with the octopus being cited as key.

Hey if I’m looking at that right like you said the best way in is a Detroit win and a Washington loss.
But :
They could get in with 1 point. It’s unlikely but Philadelphia would need to beat Washington in regulation. That puts Detroit at 90 and Washington and Philadelphia both at 89. Pittsburgh at 88 would need to lose Wednesday against the Islanders who have nothing to play for Since they clinched. It really needs to be the first one I think .

Hey if I’m looking at that right like you said the best way in is a Detroit win and a Washington loss.
But :
They could get in with 1 point. It’s unlikely but Philadelphia would need to beat Washington in regulation. That puts Detroit at 90 and Washington and Philadelphia both at 89. Pittsburgh at 88 would need to lose Wednesday against the Islanders who have nothing to play for Since they clinched. It really needs to be the first one I think .
Yes the other scenario works as well but much harder..

Bob, there is one thing about the Philly game. They need a win in regulation, if they're tied they probably pull their goalie which gives Wash. a big advantage.

Bob, there is one thing about the Philly game. They need a win in regulation, if they're tied they probably pull their goalie which gives Wash. a big advantage.
Yeah I saw that. Tie game Flyers will have to pull goalie.

Capitals all over the Flyers. But low shot toals for both teams first 7 minutes. 3-0 for Washington but Flyers just had a good push.

Officials miss a Flyers goal. Ridiculous . They blew whistle and goalie never had it . Went way up in the air off a flyer and off his skate and in .

Wings terrible defense shows up. Our defense is so bad. So many odd man rushes given up this year.

We are playing terrible so far.
Flyers had a power play (leagues worst) Gave up breakaway chance.
Great save.

Back