Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Red Wings top prospect Antony Mantha named QMJHL MVP

Jesus 57 Goals and 63 assists in 57 games .. If I read that right bring the kid to Detroit...LOL

he will be here soon enough. only 19. red wings have some great prospects / depth. amazing organization.

he will be here soon enough. only 19. red wings have some great prospects / depth. amazing organization.

This.

Holland has said this kid is untouchable...given his performance at this years World Juniors, and the season he had, I can see why.

That being said, I think his time with the Wings will be 2015-16. He will play for Grand Rapids next season, and depending on how he does, will make the Wings the following year. If he does well, dont be surprised to see him in a few games next season, but full time NHL'er wont be until 2016 (IMO)..

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospect-rankings/post-season-prospect-rankings-2013-14/page/2

Hockeys Future (By far the best site out there on predicting Hockey Prospects), has Mantha as the 15th best prospect in the NHL. That ranking will only increase once the 'top' batch of prospects goes pro next season.

The writeup on Mantha:

15) Anthony Mantha
Detroit Red Wings

Mantha is a pure sniper with the natural instincts to find the soft spots around the net and quickly bury his opportunities. He is an excellent skater who uses his size and reach to protect the puck from defenders. The big forward is not the most physical player along the boards, but he is very difficult to handle when driving the net. His two-way game is improving enough to allow him to play on both his team's penalty killing and power play units. But it is Mantha's offensive skills and scoring goals with his hard quick release that will get him to the NHL level. The knocks against Mantha at the 2013 NHL Draft were his lack of consistency and level of competitiveness, but he has erased that notion in the QMJHL this season by scoring 57 goals in 57 games and posting 120 points. The big winger is likely going to be a top-line player for Red Wings.

Also, Mrazek is #33 for anyone interested. Ive been pushing for him to Backup Howie for some time now, but thats not the Wings Forte...however, I am hoping with Monsters contract expiring after the season, that Mrazek will get his shot to be a backup to Howie next year.

33) Petr Mrazek
Detroit Red Wings

Mrazek has quietly been one of the best goaltenders in the AHL over the course of the last year and a half. While many eyes lie on prospects like John Gibson (ANH) and Andrey Vasilevskiy (TBL), Mrazek has thrived for a second straight season with the Grand Rapids Griffins. He is just now starting to creep into the NHL with injuries affecting the Red Wings NHL tandem of Jimmy Howard and Jonas Gustavsson at times. He has been noted as a big game player and an extremely athletic goaltender, but noteworthy is his history of winning. Mrazek has had considerable success at both the CHL and AHL level. That bodes well for his Detroit Red Wings' future, considering it is a franchise built on a tradition of success. He is just 22 years old, so the Red Wings can afford to slow cook him a little, but he currently stands as one of the more NHL-ready goaltending prospects.

Last edited:
OK Kenny... I am sorry...For blasting you a little bit...

Hey bob, it's not like it was unwarranted. Almost everyone could see bringing back Cleary, Samuelsson and Bertuzzi were bad moves, and they have contributed almost nothing to the Red Wings this season.

I just hope Holland/Babcock can see the error of their ways.

Last edited:
Back