Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Rule changes, work stoppage, Offseason changes, Pitch Clock

So how are pitching changes going to be handled mechanically once the maximum number of visits to the mound has been reached? Is the catcher going to go out to the mound and instruct the pitching changes as he is directed from the bench?

Last edited:
I'm curious how a robot ump will know if someone checked his swing? Or got hit on is foot, catcher interference, or any number of other rules. Will they throw out pitchers who pitch inside, how will they stop a bench clearing brawl?

I still think they need a physical George Jetson type robot.

I'm curious how a robot ump will know if someone checked his swing? Or got hit on is foot, catcher interference, or any number of other rules. Will they throw out pitchers who pitch inside, how will they stop a bench clearing brawl?

Sounds as if the ump is still behind the plate.

All the robot does is call balls and strikes. It's about 30% of the responsibility of an HPU. And HPU does not call checked swings; he appeals them when requested. Even if a computer judges balls and strikes, there will be an umpire behind the plate to signal them. I wonder how the computer/robot judges "the knees and the midpoint between the belt and the shoulders" on each batter "when assuming a normal stance."

All the robot does is call balls and strikes. It's about 30% of the responsibility of an HPU. And HPU does not call checked swings; he appeals them when requested. Even if a computer judges balls and strikes, there will be an umpire behind the plate to signal them. I wonder how the computer/robot judges "the knees and the midpoint between the belt and the shoulders" on each batter "when assuming a normal stance."

Or a shorter or taller person. Where one has a larger strike zone. So if you disagree with a call the ump will say "blame the robot they made the call."

Or a shorter or taller person. Where one has a larger strike zone. So if you disagree with a call the ump will say "blame the robot they made the call."

That what I was referring to in regards to the description of the strike zone in the rulebook.

Back