Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Should have just thrown money at Reyes..

tigers99888

Injury issues aside, he's not as 1 dimensional as Fielder.. Yes the Tigers potentially have one of the most potent middle orders in the game, but that contract was ridiculous.. World series or bust in the next 5 years IMO... We will all be wanting him gone when he gets old and hits 4 bills.. I think it's a very risky signing long term.. Could pay dividends and be tremendous in the short however but my god, the contract and the years.. 9 at 24 million per for a possible DH? Wow...

RaDr-Debbie%20Downer.jpg

Reyes is not that great of a hitter. He's a nice player, but makes a lot of outs. Spending money on Prince will improve the offense much more than Reyes. Reyes has a career OBP of .340, which is far from superstar level.

Reyes would have filled multiple needs. No one is saying he is legit offensively, but he could lead off, play good defense and be a terror on the bags.. But of course he has character and health issues which I don't think Prince has either.. He definitely is one of the most durable players in the MLB the last few years.. He isn't as bad at 1st as some make it out to be as well. But Miggy could be a disaster at third.. I would split DH Miggy and Fielder this season and still platoon Inge/Kelly at third..

tigers99888 said:
Reyes would have filled multiple needs. No one is saying he is legit offensively, but he could lead off, play good defense and be a terror on the bags.. But of course he has character and health issues which I don't think Prince has either.. He definitely is one of the most durable players in the MLB the last few years.. He isn't as bad at 1st as some make it out to be as well. But Miggy could be a disaster at third.. I would split DH Miggy and Fielder this season and still platoon Inge/Kelly at third..

He could lead off, but he's far from the prototype considering his potentially low OBP. And steals are cute and all, but let's not confuse steals with what Prince Fielder brings to the table.

Both players are good at what they do, but one does a far more important thing. So, money is better spent on Prince type players.

JimRice said:
Both players are good at what they do, but one does a far more important thing. So, money is better spent on Prince type players.
I disagree.. Defense is very important.. Reyes would have been an upgrade in the IF on defense.. No he's not Tulo but he's damn stellar at SS with a rocket arm...

Fielder likely would NOT be a Tiger had VMart NOT become injured, so acquiring Reyes instead of Fielder is a moot point, since he became a Marlin awhile before VMart was injured. Not saying that acquiring Reyes would not improve the Tigers IF, but he had zero to do with Fielder becoming a Tiger, and if the Tigers wanted to get him, having Fielder OR VMart should not have made much if any difference, outside of the obviously VERY costly acquisition that Fielder is.

Turok said:
Fielder likely would NOT be a Tiger had VMart NOT become injured, so acquiring Reyes instead of Fielder is a moot point, since he became a Marlin awhile before VMart was injured. Not saying that acquiring Reyes would not improve the Tigers IF, but he had zero to do with Fielder becoming a Tiger, and if the Tigers wanted to get him, having Fielder OR VMart should not have made much if any difference, outside of the obviously VERY costly acquisition that Fielder is.
I understand the extreme circumstance and timing of the signing.. But I think you could have signed Reyes to a similar contract the Marlins signed him to and possibly added another player if the plan was to spend $20 million in the offseason on a per year basis..

tigers99888 said:
Turok said:
I understand the extreme circumstance and timing of the signing.. But I think you could have signed Reyes to a similar contract the Marlins signed him to and possibly added another player if the plan was to spend $20 million in the offseason on a per year basis..

I would like to believe that the Tigers are not done tweaking their roster, but now it may be a matter of waiting until near the trade deadline with ~a third of the season left, and the club discovers what more needs to be done. I STILL want to see them obtain a preferably LH SP and BEFORE the start of the season, but I am not counting on it, esp. after today's MM$$$ bombshell.

tigers99888 said:
Turok said:

And they could have gotten Adam Dunn in 2011. Let a trade work itself out before you shit on it.

tigers99888 said:
Injury issues aside, he's not as 1 dimensional as Fielder.. Yes the Tigers potentially have one of the most potent middle orders in the game, but that contract was ridiculous.. World series or bust in the next 5 years IMO... We will all be wanting him gone when he gets old and hits 4 bills.. I think it's a very risky signing long term.. Could pay dividends and be tremendous in the short however but my god, the contract and the years.. 9 at 24 million per for a possible DH? Wow...

So, you're happy and sad at the same time? Good God, man...

Its been said many many times, we're better than we were yesterday. Damn man, not like we're paying his salary. Its the way the market is. A guy who mashes gets 20+ a year. He's only 27.

tigers99888 said:
Should have just thrown money at Reyes.. Injury issues aside, he's not as 1 dimensional as Fielder..

Some here question your sanity - plus your game knowledge.

[color=#006400 said:
Mitch[/color]]
tigers99888 said:

And they could have gotten Adam Dunn in 2011. Let a trade work itself out before you shit on it.
LOL! Exactly!

I think we all expect this deal to look bad at some point, but I think the estimates of it being a year or two from now are more than pessimistic. There are lots of fat asses that have stayed productive well into their mid/late 30s or even to 40, especially when they can DH. Guys like Ortiz, Thomas, Ruth, Thome, Stairs, etc. Fielder is definitely talented and projects to be a full-time DH later in this deal, but there's no reason to think he can't be David Ortiz 2.0 for us.

Fielder is a hitter and an OPS freak. The irony. The delicious irony. Those who are detracting this deal can chew iron. Rusty, tetanus-inducing iron. You can drink molten iron, too. It might improve your attitude about life in general.

tigers99888 said:

Injury issues with Reyes, and a complete and total lack of injuries with Fielder, likely played a big role in our signing Fielder rather than Reyes.

[color=#551A8B said:
TinselWolverine[/color]]I think I heard that there's an early termination contingency, or sump'n...

I heard there wasn't.

Back