Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Software Change

It was better when there were more posters. Not sure how you expand your membership

Forums have dwindled down as a whole these last 10-15 years, no doubt about that. Facebook Groups, Reddit, Discord, etc. have killed us. I am hopeful that being more and more mobile friendly will assist us in expanding our membership, but time will tell. All we can do is control what we can control, you know?

I'm 58 and I don't mind. Of course I worked in tech my whole life. As far as 'most of the regulars' that is not ture. Have you ever tried to find a Detroit/Michigan sports forum on the internet that has active members? The quick answer is there isn't any. Only option is Reddit and I wouldn't wish my worse enemy there..
that's the reason I still post here, because I haven't found anything else since the old ESPN forum shut down. I joined a private facebook detroit tigers group, but it wasn't very active in the off season. Maybe it will be during the season.

I was talking about the active members that use this. It seems like we are down to about 20 guys. At least that's how it seems.

Forums have dwindled down as a whole these last 10-15 years, no doubt about that. Facebook Groups, Reddit, Discord, etc. have killed us. I am hopeful that being more and more mobile friendly will assist us in expanding our membership, but time will tell. All we can do is control what we can control, you know?
I hear ya.

Reactions: Cam
What makes you say that? Moving from severely outdated, exploitable software to a more secure, robust platform makes a lot of sense. There's a transition period to get used to things, of course, but the end result will be a better, more stable platform for DSF going forward.
I do like the "notification" feature that allows you to see if someone replies to your post. That will probably keep more conversations going.

that's the reason I still post here, because I haven't found anything else since the old ESPN forum shut down. I joined a private facebook detroit tigers group, but it wasn't very active in the off season. Maybe it will be during the season.

I was talking about the active members that use this. It seems like we are down to about 20 guys. At least that's how it seems.
I think there's more than 20. But weather it's 20, 40 or a 1000 the site is rather active. Esp. considering what's out there..

I think there's more than 20. But weather it's 20, 40 or a 1000 the site is rather active. Esp. considering what's out there..
I guess I'm just used to some other private facebook groups that I belong to. They are much more active, but they aren't "Detroit Sports" based. It's other stuff I am interested in.

I still enjoy this site a great deal.

Nice to see the update, the last version was extremely outdated.

Already within a few minutes I'm in love with dark mode and the 'live' update that another post was made while you were typing.

*edit* I did have to reset my password for some reason, though that's not a huge issue.

I guess I'm just used to some other private facebook groups that I belong to. They are much more active, but they aren't "Detroit Sports" based. It's other stuff I am interested in.

I still enjoy this site a great deal.

Glad to hear it. Hope our community grows in the near future. :)

Nice to see the update, the last version was extremely outdated.

Already within a few minutes I'm in love with dark mode and the 'live' update that another post was made while you were typing.

*edit* I did have to reset my password for some reason, though that's not a huge issue.

I appreciate that. :)

Passwords should have stayed the same. Your password stopped working with us migrating over to the new site?

Glad to hear it. Hope our community grows in the near future. :)

I appreciate that. :)

Passwords should have stayed the same. Your password stopped working with us migrating over to the new site?
Yeah, it's been saved/the same for a really long time. Which is why it wasn't a big deal, really needed a change anyways.

Yeah, it's been saved/the same for a really long time. Which is why it wasn't a big deal, really needed a change anyways.

That's odd though, I didn't have any issues logging into my account. Hopefully that isn't the case for everyone. No telling how many users are using an email address that they no longer use. That kind of stuff happens when it's a forum that is almost fifteen years old. Thank you for letting us know.

It was better when there were more posters. Not sure how you expand your membership
Well we can work on different methods to bring people in, but as @Mitchrapp pointed out, when it comes to such a specific niche, it's going to be a rather focused group of people that join in. The forums are nice and lively, so I see no reason to worry about them falling off further :)
I definitely get that. The reality is that change is unavoidable at a certain point. The software we were using was released over fifteen years ago, and it hasn't been compatible with the latest versions of PHP for sometime now. The internet is always changing, and the different systems (PHP/MySQL/etc) in place that allow a forum to function are changing as well. Those "different systems" have modernized, and no longer work with the software we were using. We probably could have put this change off for another year, maybe two, but we were going to end up being forced into making a change, and that wouldn't have been on our own terms... That would have been us logging on one day and the forum being broken because of our web host making updates on the backend.
Very much the truth. There comes a time when you simply can't continue using old software anymore. vBulletin 3.8, while incredible for its' time, isn't feasible these days. XenForo is current, it's ready for the next iteration (2.3) anytime now and it gets routine security fixes. It's just an all around more stable platform for a site to build around.
I'm 58 and I don't mind. Of course I worked in tech my whole life. As far as 'most of the regulars' that is not ture. Have you ever tried to find a Detroit/Michigan sports forum on the internet that has active members? The quick answer is there isn't any. Only option is Reddit and I wouldn't wish my worse enemy there..
Precisely, this forum is active for the group it serves and that's what matters.

I do like the "notification" feature that allows you to see if someone replies to your post. That will probably keep more conversations going.
See? Plenty to like about the change ;)

That's odd though, I didn't have any issues logging into my account. Hopefully that isn't the case for everyone. No telling how many users are using an email address that they no longer use. That kind of stuff happens when it's a forum that is almost fifteen years old. Thank you for letting us know.
Similar issue. Though I didn't change it but when logging in on my Samsung Tablet my current password would not work. No problem on my laptop though.

I had a similar issue. The odd thing is that I "changed" my password to the same one I had before, and it worked right away.

The post reply at the top of the page helps a lot.

Today I notice that when I post copy and paste several sentences one below the other, it comes out like this and instead of 4 sentences one below the other there are two sentences and there is no space between
Spring Dingler, surgery Greene, and hoped Hill. Can this be fixed?

Tigers looking good on the injury news coming into Spring.Dingler with a small elbow surgeryGreene progressing as we hopedHill with some throwing discomfort, will probably take longer to ramp up.

this has been a dying forum with very few posters. Most of the regulars have already left. Most of the people on this site are older. If you know anything about older people and tech, they usually don't like change :)
I fear change. I feel like Phil Hartman's unfrozen caveman lawyer right now. What is this strange new place?

Okay Jimmy. Just wanted to get a name to a well name. :)

my real name is Nick. The Whole jimmygank thing was an ESPN name based on a friend of mine who used that as an alter ego. I haven't seen him in an over a decade. Time to retire it lol

This my poker SN and what I use on everything else going back 15 years

Back