Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Stanley Johnson

tomdalton22

They were saying this was going to be his "breakout year"

So far he is averaging 3.4 points and 2.2 rebounds.

I really wanted Winslow there. And he looks to be the much better player.

Stanley so far has been a whiff, but Winslow really isn't any better. Neither can hit the broad side of a barn, but both are decent defenders. In retrospect (and only a little more than a year into their careers) the better picks would have been Myles Turner, Devin Booker, or Rondae Hollis-Jefferson. Turner is already turning into a steal as a rim protector who can also score out to mid-range. Booker is has shown he can really pour in point, though hasn't figured out defense (but is so young his potential is still really high). Hollis-Jefferson is just a better version of Johnson/Winslow - already an elite defender who is likely to remain a 5th option on offense.

Stanley so far has been a whiff, but Winslow really isn't any better. Neither can hit the broad side of a barn, but both are decent defenders. In retrospect (and only a little more than a year into their careers) the better picks would have been Myles Turner, Devin Booker, or Rondae Hollis-Jefferson. Turner is already turning into a steal as a rim protector who can also score out to mid-range. Booker is has shown he can really pour in point, though hasn't figured out defense (but is so young his potential is still really high). Hollis-Jefferson is just a better version of Johnson/Winslow - already an elite defender who is likely to remain a 5th option on offense.

The draft feels so hit or miss so many years after the top guys . I guess you just have to do your homework and get lucky too..

The draft feels so hit or miss so many years after the top guys . I guess you just have to do your homework and get lucky too..

I would say it is more luck than anything but some teams just seem to hit every year. San Antonio is the team that comes to mind.

Maybe I'm being too simplistic looking at the numbers, but Winslow is an 11/4/4 guy right now. Stanley can't get on the court. I don't agree that he's "not any better." Winslow's trajectory looks halfway decent, I don't know if Stanley's going to be in the league in 2 years.

Stanley Johnson confuses the hell out of me. I don't follow the Pistons as much as I did 10 years ago, but I catch at least one game a week, and I was for the most part impressed with him last year. It seemed whenever he came on the court he brought energy and didn't make many boneheaded 'rookie' mistakes.

I think that his problem has to do with confidence/his ego. He views himself as a starter in this league, and as soon as we traded for Harris, his minutes got cut and his production dropped dramatically. He could/should still be a good '6th man' for us, but for whatever reason, his effort and overall skill have diminished. Its a shame too because I think he has talent, but he just seems to have 'checked out'. Not sure what the Pistons and SVG should do with him.

He hasn't shown much of anything, he looks like a scrub that will be out of the league soon if he doesn't change his attitude, assuming it's an ego thing that has him spiraling downward from last season. Harris is by far a better player, he should be taking notes and trying to better himself as a player and not pouting, he hasn't shown any reason to deserve minutes over some of the other young players.

During that draft i wanted almost anybody but Stanley . He was getting so much hype because all anyone was saying was hes a freshman in a nba ready body ....so what ?? I watched him alot on college and he didnt impress or stand out at all . For the record Winslow Justice is just as big a scrub . I wanted Mudiay but hes struggling too so who knows .

After watching Stanley dominate the summer league i had high hopes and thought maybe i was wrong ....guess not

Maybe I'm being too simplistic looking at the numbers, but Winslow is an 11/4/4 guy right now. Stanley can't get on the court. I don't agree that he's "not any better." Winslow's trajectory looks halfway decent, I don't know if Stanley's going to be in the league in 2 years.

I think you are being to superficial with those numbers. Rate stats show they are extremely similar per minute, and both bad. Also, Winslow's current trajectory is downhill. He's playing more this year, but worse in most categories than last year.

Stanley was always somewhat overrated because of his strong three point shooting in college. That small sample size masked his very poor free throw shooting, which is actually more predictive. I wouldn't have done any better myself in making the pick. The draft is mostly luck outside the top 5.

AUBURN HILLS, Mich. -- The Detroit Pistons assigned forwards Stanley Johnson and Henry Ellenson and guard Michael Gbinije to the team's D-League affiliate in Grand Rapids.

The moves came before Grand Rapids hosted Delaware on Saturday night. The Pistons were off Saturday. Detroit hosts the Philadelphia 76ers on Sunday night.

Johnson, a first-round draft pick in 2015, has averaged only 3.3 points in 21 games this season after showing potential as a rookie. Ellenson, who was drafted in the first round this year, has appeared in only six games this season.

Bunch of whiffs so far.. work hard and maybe 1 will make it back and be serviceable, and if we are real lucky two will make it to the end of the bench.

Last edited:
Back