Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Stanton 300 million dollar man???

manchild98

Slugger Giancarlo Stanton and the Miami Marlins are discussing a long-term contract in the $300 million range, sources confirmed to ESPN on Thursday.

FoxSports.com first reported terms of the deal.

The Marlins have made locking up Stanton a priority this offseason, with president of baseball operations Mike Hill saying earlier this week that the team had begun discussions with agent Joel Wolfe regarding an agreement with the All-Star right fielder.

Stanton, who has 154 career homers at age 24, doesn't become a free agent until after the 2016 season.

Stanton's 2014 season ended Sept. 11 when he was hit in the face by a pitch. Despite missing the final 17 games, he led the NL with 37 homers and a .555 slugging percentage for the Marlins, who went 77-85 but ended a three-year streak of last-place finishes in the NL East.

Stanton finished second in NL MVP voting on Thursday.

The last time the historically thrifty Marlins spent big was before a poor 2012 season, the first in their new ballpark. Their 2014 payroll of $52.3 million was the lowest in the majors. That figure is expected to rise next year, but Hill declined to offer specifics earlier this week.

They don't want to make the "Miggy" mistake again.

The mistake with the Miggy trade was only taking prospects in return. The Marlins should trade Stanton but trade him for a few good MLB players under team control AND a few top prospects.

The mistake with the Miggy trade was only taking prospects in return. The Marlins should trade Stanton but trade him for a few good MLB players under team control AND a few top prospects.

They've heard plenty of offers over the last couple seasons. It's pretty clear none of them appealed to them.

David Price is one of the best pitchers in baseball and was had for relatively cheap. I'm not saying that Stanton = Price but MLB trades aren't yielding much lately, for whatever reason. Locking up Stanton long term is the right move as long as they have money to field a proper team around him.

Baseball contracts just keep getting dumber by the year. I know that it's just the nature of things, but how in the hell can you justify throwing over a quarter BILLION dollars at someone on the off chance that they stay healthy and sharp enough to keep hitting a baseball better than nearly anyone else for the next decade? The guaranteed years and dollars are just absurd now.

They've heard plenty of offers over the last couple seasons. It's pretty clear none of them appealed to them.

David Price is one of the best pitchers in baseball and was had for relatively cheap. I'm not saying that Stanton = Price but MLB trades aren't yielding much lately, for whatever reason. Locking up Stanton long term is the right move as long as they have money to field a proper team around him.

That's the thing...they don't have the money to field a proper team around him.

He's a good player but are you kidding me? And this kid is not Miggy. He's strike outs too much, BA is not high enough etc. Miggy had to win 2 MVP's, A TC etc. to get 300m. Just the Marlins being the Marlins..

He's a good player but are you kidding me? And this kid is not Miggy. He's strike outs too much, BA is not high enough etc. Miggy had to win 2 MVP's, A TC etc. to get 300m. Just the Marlins being the Marlins..

To be honest...I would rather have Stanton and a $300M contract than Miggy with his $300M

To be honest...I would rather have Stanton and a $300M contract than Miggy with his $300M

Because of age I get that..but he's still no Miggy. Unfortunately ball players get paid on past performances.

It is kind of ironic. Miggy was traded to the Tigers after his 24 year old season...Stanton just turned 25 last week. At this point Stanton has played for the Marlins for the same amount of time that Miggy did. Stanton has had 2640 PA and Miggy had 3072 in his 5 years there. Stanton OPS .904, Miggy .929. OBP, Stanton .364, Miggy .388. HR, Miggy 138, Stanton 154.

Dear Lord...

2:42pm: The Marlins and Stanton are close to agreeing to terms on a 13-year, $325MM contract that is expected to contain a no-trade clause and an opt-out clause, tweets Jon Heyman of CBS Sports.

Dear Lord...

2:42pm: The Marlins and Stanton are close to agreeing to terms on a 13-year, $325MM contract that is expected to contain a no-trade clause and an opt-out clause, tweets Jon Heyman of CBS Sports.

wow...good for him. That is a ton of loot!

Crazy money...and there's a great chance he'll never ever even make the playoffs in his career.

I'd demand a clause in my contract that said the payroll can never drop below 90 million or Stanton has the option to walk.

I'd demand a clause in my contract that said the payroll can never drop below 90 million or Stanton has the option to walk.

As it stands, Stanton is still two years away from free agency. The rumored deal is expected to contain a no-trade clause and an opt-out after the 2019 season. Both clauses give Stanton leverage. He can potentially dictate where he?s traded, force a mid-contract extension, or hit the open market as a 30-year-old.

Back