Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Still free agents

tomdalton22

I was surprised to read that Dallas Keuchel (31) & Craig Kimbrel (30) are still free agents.

Keuchel over the past 3 years 3.77 era. and batters hit 0.250 against him.
Kimbrel has always been a very good closer. Over the past 3 seasons he has had a 2.44 era and batters hit 0.146

I'm sure will both get jobs after the draft (when draft pick comp. goes away) but I was pretty shocked to see both are free agents.

I was surprised to read that Dallas Keuchel (31) & Craig Kimbrel (30) are still free agents.

Keuchel over the past 3 years 3.77 era. and batters hit 0.250 against him.
Kimbrel has always been a very good closer. Over the past 3 seasons he has had a 2.44 era and batters hit 0.146

I'm sure will both get jobs after the draft (when draft pick comp. goes away) but I was pretty shocked to see both are free agents.
I wonder how much they were asking for? Can't be just comp picks.

I read that although Keuchel is open to a 1-year deal Kimbrel isn't "Kimbrel remains unsigned with the first month of the regular season completed, having been linked to a handful of teams in recent weeks. The Brewers, Braves, Nationals, Mets, Phillies and Rays have all been mentioned as possible destinations but none of those clubs are apparently willing to meet Kimbrel?s asking price.

I wonder how much they were asking for? Can't be just comp picks.

I read that although Keuchel is open to a 1-year deal Kimbrel isn't "Kimbrel remains unsigned with the first month of the regular season completed, having been linked to a handful of teams in recent weeks. The Brewers, Braves, Nationals, Mets, Phillies and Rays have all been mentioned as possible destinations but none of those clubs are apparently willing to meet Kimbrel?s asking price.

I haven't seen any rumored contracts that were turned down.

That's because they want too much, either money or years. I think both if asked for cheap 1-year deals they would get signed..

That's because they want too much, either money or years. I think both if asked for cheap 1-year deals they would get signed..

I'm sure that they have both been offered a few multi-year contracts but maybe below what they expect. Owners are starting to figure out that it's not too smart to commit a lot of money to older players.

Generally its jump temporary. It's weird that guys asking for 1-2 year cheap deals are left out in the cold while someone like Harper gets a shit load. 2 really good years in an otherwise average career. Inconsistent as hell.

I agree on Harper...way overrated. I guess he got such a large contract partly because of his age (being a free agent at 25)

Though I suspect there will be a point where the fans won't support him. His 118 OPS+ will certainly drive the fans away. They must keep winning.

His ability to generate revenue and fill seats helps as well.
Bingo
Yahtzee
Kismet

Harper brings fans thru the turnstiles.
Harper (spelled-out) sells a ton of merchandise with his name on it
Harper is great for advertising endorsement deals
Harper followers are #1 on the internet (versus the other 24 on the roster) and all those clicks to follow him bring money to various MLB website owners..... also Twitter, Facebook, Instagram... probably several more.

I could keep going-on....... how Harper's contract, although outrageous to us, is not that bad financially to the Phillies, where the Northeast houses the largest population in the USA. There are probably at least seven MLB teams-fans that don't have a ridiculous distance to travel, to see Bryce play.

Last edited:
20m but prorated to 13m. But yeah still less than the 17.9m he was going to get for 2 extra months.

I was referring to not signing some of the long term contracts that he was offered. His agent turned them down because he wanted over $120M

I was referring to not signing some of the long term contracts that he was offered. His agent turned them down because he wanted over $120M
I didn't realized that. I know he turned down the 17.9 didn't know he turned down LT deals.

I didn't realized that. I know he turned down the 17.9 didn't know he turned down LT deals.

I searched and could not find any article concerning a definitive turning down a specific long term deal. I know HOU offered a two year deal. I also cannot find where he explicitly asked for $120 Mil. Kimbrel was seeking $120 Mil.

I searched and could not find any article concerning a definitive turning down a specific long term deal. I know HOU offered a two year deal. I also cannot find where he explicitly asked for $120 Mil. Kimbrel was seeking $120 Mil.

Maybe I got the two confused.

I do know he turned down a $90M offer from Houston.

Back