Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Suh is too cool for school

dtroitlionsfan951

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-s...s--leadership-or-lost-his-mind-190606239.html

We'll say this for the Miami Dolphins' $114 million man, Ndamukong Suh: he certainly has a high opinion of himself.

Don't get us wrong - professional athletes need a ton of self-confidence to get to the highest levels of sport. But telling your own teammates some of them don't belong on the field with you? Well, that's probably taking things too far.

But that's just what Suh did this week, according to NFL Network's Ian Rapoport.

According to Rapoport, on Monday, a day after Miami's home loss to Dallas, Suh gave a "fiery" speech to his defensive teammates and told them he's in charge of the group.

"I run this defense," Suh said, via Rapoport. "I'm going to be here for the next five years, there's no guarantee any of you will be as well. Only a handful of guys are good enough to play with me right now."

And it's not just many of his teammates Suh believes aren't good enough - he also said the Dolphins' defensive schemes weren't good enough, the techniques were not good enough, and everyone needed to play better.

He did say, "Follow me," which is a positive, though Suh at times has seemed disinterested during games, particularly earlier in the season, before Joe Philbin was fired. That's not exactly leading by example.

The players in the room were split on their response to Suh's message; some saw the speech as being in the leadership category, while for others, Rapoport said, shaking his head, it was "something they've never heard before."

This dude is a good player. But I'm so glad we do not have to deal with him anymore...He will fade away quietly in miami now.

Though I don't agree he will fade away.....I'm also really glad he is gone. Great player. Terrible person.

Miami's headache now. Interestingly, he is almost certainly going to have to be restructured this off season or he is a $28.6M cap hit next year!!

Nice contract Dolphins!!

Though I don't agree he will fade away.....I'm also really glad he is gone. Great player. Terrible person.

Miami's headache now. Interestingly, he is almost certainly going to have to be restructured this off season or he is a $28.6M cap hit next year!!

Nice contract Dolphins!!

But remember, restructuring that money backloads it into future years.

So they might be able to bring next ear down by converting salary to signing bonus, but he's already on the book for $15.1Mm for 2017. Adding to that number just spreads the pain a little more evenly.

2018 and 2019 are non guaranteed years if I remember right, but the signing bonus still accrues against the cap even if they cut him.

So, they could knock around $10Mm off of next year's cap hit, bringing him down to 18Mm for next season, but that would elevate him to 18Mm for the 2017 season, with a charge of 8Mm per year if they cut him after that.

No matter what the Dolphins do with him from here, his contract has them in the same boat Detroit found themselves in at the end. It's ugly no matter what.

Do you go home with the fat girl or her toothless friend? Either way, come morning, you're going to wish you hadn't.

Did we see this side of him while he was here? He might have been bad away from football and sneaky thug on it but was he like this with Detroit?

Agree, glad he's gone.

Did we see this side of him while he was here? He might have been bad away from football and sneaky thug on it but was he like this with Detroit?

Agree, glad he's gone.

No, we didn't. And we weren't blind to it either. This side of Suh never reared it's ugly head while he was here.

I imagine, human nature being what it is, he got that big fat contract in free agency, and now it's gone to his head. He was (and might still be) the highest paid defensive player in the league's history the minute he signed that deal... and it looks like he suddenly thinks he's better than everyone else as a result.

If he's any worse now than he was when he was here, then we did a better job of keeping the media out of it.

No, we didn't. And we weren't blind to it either. This side of Suh never reared it's ugly head while he was here.

I imagine, human nature being what it is, he got that big fat contract in free agency, and now it's gone to his head. He was (and might still be) the highest paid defensive player in the league's history the minute he signed that deal... and it looks like he suddenly thinks he's better than everyone else as a result.

If he's any worse now than he was when he was here, then we did a better job of keeping the media out of it.

He wasn't even the highest paid DT, let alone defensive player, for more than 3 months. Marcell Dareus passed him up not long after Suh signed his deal.

He wasn't even the highest paid DT, let alone defensive player, for more than 3 months. Marcell Dareus passed him up not long after Suh signed his deal.

Yeah, I thought he was surpassed, but I couldn't remember for sure.

You're right, it was Dareus. I remembered it as soon as I read it.

Its part of being in an environment with a lack of leadership....remember their head coach is gone. That's when you start hearing BS like this from players.

Its part of being in an environment with a lack of leadership....remember their head coach is gone. That's when you start hearing BS like this from players.

I agree lack of leadership is a part of this, but remember Suh was being accused of "freestyling" on plays before Philbin was fired. There were even reports that he was telling other defensive players they needed to ignore the play calls and just do what he said instead.

Losing their head coach didn't seem to be the catalyst for this, although I certainly can't say Philbin provided any stern leadership before his departure.

I agree lack of leadership is a part of this, but remember Suh was being accused of "freestyling" on plays before Philbin was fired. There were even reports that he was telling other defensive players they needed to ignore the play calls and just do what he said instead.

Losing their head coach didn't seem to be the catalyst for this, although I certainly can't say Philbin provided any stern leadership before his departure.

True. But lets be honest....the catalyst is that the guy is a nutjob lol.

I'm a little surprised he spoke up since he was always quiet here. People always wanted him to be a leader. But maybe that's why he's taking. He got all that money and is expected to step up but it's not who he is. He took himself to south beach and is on a bad team. I hope karma keeps kicking his ass. He was overvalued not because he isn't good but because his position isn't a 100 million dollar position. Their defense is going to get worse because they can't possibly bring in enough help. They loaded up for this year and it's failed. Good.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

Back