Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Sundown, Take Care; Care Free Highway, Slip Away on You

RIP Gordon Lightfoot

Link. He was 84.

One of the greatest singer/songwriters of the Great Lakes.

I grew to appreciate his music much more after age 30, and listened to it during some tough times. Takes me back.

IMO, Gordon Lightfoot was the best singer/songwriter I've ever listened to. Definitely my favorite, going back to 1971, which was when I first heard of him.

If You Could Read My Mind is probably my favorite song by him.

But this is in its own category:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tV9PoWQVga0&pp=ygUjd3JlY2sgb2YgdGhlIGVkbXVuZCBmaXR6Z2VyYWxkIGxpdnI=

I remember as a kid, my family took a trip to the UP including the Soo Locks. On the boat tour all the kids got little guide books... the first half was a bunch of "fun facts" kid-friendly cartoons and stuff, and the back half was several dozen pages ominously titled "Deadly November Gales on The Great Lakes" or something like that.

it and had harrowing tales of November gales going back to the 1800's... ships disappearing in storms with all hands, ships breaking in half in the waves, men freezing to death in the water, or clinging to wreckage for hours and miraculously surviving.

Wild stuff... after I read that, the song really resonated with me.

Back