Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

Target Valentine

greenbeerd

Mock Drafts have Valentine at 1.20-25; We're assumed to go after C Diamond Stone, but that isn't a value pick for the Pistons, Drummond and Baynes are good. Valentine can immediately run PG for the bench unit, he could develop into another Draymond Green type of steal, In my opinion, all around player and leader that can handle the ball and shoot from distance. Though not as athletic, he is much more mature than Reggie Jackson will ever be... I think Denzel is too good to pass up, the poor tournament showing shoved him to the end of the 1st round.

Mock Drafts have Valentine at 1.20-25; We're assumed to go after C Diamond Stone, but that isn't a value pick for the Pistons, Drummond and Baynes are good. Valentine can immediately run PG for the bench unit, he could develop into another Draymond Green type of steal, In my opinion, all around player and leader that can handle the ball and shoot from distance. Though not as athletic, he is much more mature than Reggie Jackson will ever be... I think Denzel is too good to pass up, the poor tournament showing shoved him to the end of the 1st round.

Rather get Thon Maker than a future fringe starter.

I think valentine will make a decent pro.I am ok with drafting him.

maker is very much a boom or bust pick.

With Valentine you know what you're getting.

We are drafting around the 15-20 pick, every player is boom or bust at that pick. Might as well go for the biggest boom we can get. Maker and Drummond would be the deadliest frontcourt in the Eastern Conference if Maker is half the player he is in hs in the pros.

Wasn't Draymond supposed to be a future fringe? As mentioned above, you know what you are getting with Valentine, maybe more given his worth ethic and leadership, nobody is asking Denzel to start right away, the bench could use a playmaker like him.

If it wasn't for Middle Tennessee, we could be looking at Denzel in the 10-15 value range.

Valentine doesn't fit what this team needs. They have a PG. KCP is a more athletic DV. He won't be able to create his own shot in the NBA, his moves take too much time to develop. They either need to draft someone who can truly stretch the defense from the outside, or a big man to compliment Drummond that has some touch.

Don't see where Valentine fits into this team.

Valentine doesn't fit what this team needs. They have a PG. KCP is a more athletic DV. He won't be able to create his own shot in the NBA, his moves take too much time to develop. They either need to draft someone who can truly stretch the defense from the outside, or a big man to compliment Drummond that has some touch.

Don't see where Valentine fits into this team.

Diamond Stone ?

Last edited:
I'm okay with him. This team could end up drafting in the 20s if they keep winning, so they will have to throw their hat in with a project like Stone. There are some taller guys in the back end of the 1st round like Hammons, Zimmerman, Stone, Jones.

Gotta be honest, I'm actually more intrigued with Hammons out of that group. He can stroke it from right inside the arch. He just needs to find his motor, and I think Stan could get that out of him.

I'm okay with him. This team could end up drafting in the 20s if they keep winning, so they will have to throw their hat in with a project like Stone. There are some taller guys in the back end of the 1st round like Hammons, Zimmerman, Stone, Jones.

Gotta be honest, I'm actually more intrigued with Hammons out of that group. He can stroke it from right inside the arch. He just needs to find his motor, and I think Stan could get that out of him.

Look up Thon Maker, seriously. He could be the best out of them all. I just hope teams fall asleep on him until he gets to us, like Drummond.

And where exactly does this extra front court piece fit in? SVG likes Baynes off the bench as the C more so than Blake at PG I'm sure. Now putting Baynes as the backup PF would require he shoot from deep in SVG's system, and he cannot. Instead of drafting a Diamond Stone, I think SVG is more likely to target another stretch 4 shooter with the 2nd round.

The entire point here is that the starting 5 is already set. I'm not suggesting Valentine start over KCP and Reggie. Rather, someone to lead the bench, who passes and shoots well. I'm not buying that he'll flop in the NBA because his pull up jumper is slow..

And where exactly does this extra front court piece fit in? SVG likes Baynes off the bench as the C more so than Blake at PG I'm sure. Now putting Baynes as the backup PF would require he shoot from deep in SVG's system, and he cannot. Instead of drafting a Diamond Stone, I think SVG is more likely to target another stretch 4 shooter with the 2nd round.

The entire point here is that the starting 5 is already set. I'm not suggesting Valentine start over KCP and Reggie. Rather, someone to lead the bench, who passes and shoots well. I'm not buying that he'll flop in the NBA because his pull up jumper is slow..

If it's between Valentine or Maker I take Maker. It's obvious that Reggie is the starting PG and depth there is easy to find. Maker has the potential to be a star and is the perfect fit for SVG's offense.

Stone has a bit of a mid-range game. He can hit the outside shot on occasion.

I see much more of a fit with him than I do with DV. He'd be a good fit with a team who needs some leadership and a good floor general. Pistons don't really need that. That's why they gave the keys to Reggie.

It is fair to say our bench is garbage. Indeed, SVG is constantly looking for the right sub pattern to keep a playmaker (mostly Morris) on the floor with our subs. This team has a dearth of actual playmaker. Saying Reggie has the keys is fine, but our offense falls apart when he sits. Valentine as a playmaker 2 that can actually shoot seems ideal.

Maker has the highest ceiling, but he's so raw he might never amount to anything. I don't have many qualms with Stone, but I don't see him as any better of a player or fit than Valentine.

That's the problem. Valentine is not a "playmaker 2." He could barely create his own shots in college. You don't need two PGs on the court. KCP is doing just fine at the 2, not to mention he's one of the best defenders in the league.

I see a fit for Stone or Hammonds because they are big guys who can stretch it out a bit. Unless you are playing DV at the 3 (which doesn't really fit for his style), I'm not seeing the fit for him.

Last edited:
Stone has a bit of a mid-range game. He can hit the outside shot on occasion.

I see much more of a fit with him than I do with DV. He'd be a good fit with a team who needs some leadership and a good floor general. Pistons don't really need that. That's why they gave the keys to Reggie.

Agreed on this point. DV has the chance to be a starter, but only on a team where his primary job is to distribute. He won't be able to get off his own shot consistently in the NBA.....but he's a very good passer and plays with a high basketball IQ.

If a team drafts him run the offense and get others involved....occasionally making an open jumper....than he'll have a niche. Anyone expecting him to create off the dribble and kick out will be disappointed.

I don't think he'd fit well in Detroit.

Back