Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

That's how you do it

nydo77

Just took a look at mlb network with the San Francisco game on. San Francisco down a run, bottom of the 9th inning, Scutaro has just hit a double, no out (rings a bell). The first thing I see is Pablo Sandoval sending a neat, intentional ground ball to the right side, Scutaro moves up to third base. Posey is up next takes a strike and a ball, swings and misses a splitter, takes a pitch in (pretty close to the one Peralta didn't take), then punches a double down the third base line, game tied. Diamondbacks walk Pence, so a man on 1st and 2nd. The next two guys strike out.

They haven't won it yet, but Pablo Sandoval did exactly what we needed from either DY or BB, and they are still playing, while we weren't.

Just took a look at mlb network with the San Francisco game on. San Francisco down a run, bottom of the 9th inning, Scutaro has just hit a double, no out (rings a bell). The first thing I see is Pablo Sandoval sending a neat, intentional ground ball to the right side, Scutaro moves up to third base. Posey is up next takes a strike and a ball, swings and misses a splitter, takes a pitch in (pretty close to the one Peralta didn't take), then punches a double down the third base line, game tied. Diamondbacks walk Pence, so a man on 1st and 2nd. The next two guys strike out.

They haven't won it yet, but Pablo Sandoval did exactly what we needed from either DY or BB, and they are still playing, while we weren't.

You're preaching to the choir. The supporting cast (Young, Peralta, Boesch, Avila et al) have failed at this on a consistent basis this year. You HAVE to know what a pitcher is trying to do to you in these situations. And these guys constantly do EXACTLY what the pitcher wants out of them. They're stupid in the head or just simply lack the skills.

This team may squeak out a wild card spot, or even the division if the White Sox tank like last year in September. But I doubt this team can go very deep into the playoffs doing things the way they are right now.

10th inning, the first guy up hits a high hopper over the pitcher and hustles like crazy for an infield single, the next guy up lays down a textbook sacrifice, Pagan beats out a ground out to the first base side after a 6 pitch at-bat,moving the runner to 3rd base, and Scutaro takes the count to 3-0. then 3-1, before rifling a single through the right side of the infield, and Giants win the game..........

I would love to have a way to forward this to DD or JL.

Last edited:
Or Lloyd McClendon. He is either refusing or lacks the know-how to teach guys situational hitting...

The Tigers are 2nd in the AL in BA with RISP and are one of the better teams in getting runners home with runners on 3B and less than 2 outs.

There are also a ton of examples of every team in the league failing to do these very same things. I'm sure the Giants have blown this same opportunity quite a few times this year.

We all complain about the bases loaded thing (and we should) but 3 games ago we had bases loaded and we cleared them to win the game.

And last in the league with the bases loaded, and very low in some other offensive stats. Selective use of statistics there.

What's also ironic is Cleveland blew an opportunity late to take a 2 run lead when they had a runner on 3B with less than 2 outs.

There are also a ton of examples of every team in the league failing to do these very same things. I'm sure the Giants have blown this same opportunity quite a few times this year.

We all complain about the bases loaded thing (and we should) but 3 games ago we had bases loaded and we cleared them to win the game.

The point was that the Giants have been playing small ball very well this year. A couple of years ago, they were pretty much station-to-station with a reliance on big hits like we are, but they have done much better recently offensively. They also play in a large ballpark that it can be tough to hit home runs in.

Their risp is lower than ours, but their avg with a runner on third or a runner on first with less than two outs is far higher than ours is; 76 points and 69 points higher. They also have 53 sacrifice flies with a runner on third; we have 32.

The point was that the Giants have been playing small ball very well this year. A couple of years ago, they were pretty much station-to-station with a reliance on big hits like we are, but they have done much better recently offensively. They also play in a large ballpark that it can be tough to hit home runs in.

Their risp is lower than ours, but their avg with a runner on third or a runner on first with less than two outs is far higher than ours is; 76 points and 69 points higher. They also have 53 sacrifice flies with a runner on third; we have 32.

My only point was every team fails to do these things more than they are able to do these things. The Twins just had runners on 1st and 2nd w/ no outs. Double steal and Mauer gets thrown out at 2nd base. Willingham pops out to 3rd and Morneau strikes out. Runner stranded at 3rd. That's the more common story in baseball.

My only point was every team fails to do these things more than they are able to do these things. The Twins just had runners on 1st and 2nd w/ no outs. Double steal and Mauer gets thrown out at 2nd base. Willingham pops out to 3rd and Morneau strikes out. Runner stranded at 3rd. That's the more common story in baseball.

But not all teams fail at these things equally, and the ones that get it right more often tend to rise to the top. Twins aren't exactly an example of good anything this year, though they have been a good team at fundamentals in the past. Even a double steal needs runners who can steal bases; Mauer isn't really one of the better ones at that. Willingham is a young power hitter with some of the same problems we are talking about, and Morneau hasn't really ever completely got back on track after his concussion problems. They are playing like the Tigers right now, which means we will probably end up in second place in a couple hours, if Chicago holds it together.

and way to go smoker, leaving one of the fastest men in baseball on the bench, nobody out and Fielder doubles,with him on 2nd they'll need 2 singles to get him in, why not have Jackson pinch run? I don't get why Sparky left Prince run, don't that jackass know if that run doesn't score (in which it didn't) that the game was over. 1st you tie it up anyway you can and then go from there, not leave some 300 lb fat ass to run the bases, just because he might get up again in another couple of innings. with Jackson on 2nd w/no outs you bunt him over to 3rd or hit the ball to the right side of the infield to get Jackson over, from there there is plenty of ways to score, even a wild pitch. it's shit like this why I despise that old son a bitch, he simply doesn't know fucking baseball.

Last edited:
The Tigers are 2nd in the AL in BA with RISP and are one of the better teams in getting runners home with runners on 3B and less than 2 outs.

1. Leads league in GIDP w/RISP with 60, next team has only 45

2. Tied for 10th (SEA) with HRs w/RISP

3. DET is 8th in BAVG, RBIs & OPS with Runner on 3rd, less than 2 outs

4. Again, they lead the league in GIDP with Runner on 3rd, less than 2 outs

and way to go smoker, leaving one of the fastest men in baseball on the bench, nobody out and Fielder doubles,with him on 2nd they'll need 2 singles to get him in, why not have Jackson pinch run? I don't get why Sparky left Prince run, don't that jackass know if that run doesn't score (in which it didn't) that the game was over. 1st you tie it up anyway you can and then go from there, not leave some 300 lb fat ass to run the bases, just because he might get up again in another couple of innings. with Jackson on 2nd w/no outs you bunt him over to 3rd or hit the ball to the right side of the infield to get Jackson over, from there there is plenty of ways to score, even a wild pitch. it's shit like this why I despise that old son a bitch, he simply doesn't know fucking baseball.

Sparky is dead and gone. Leyland is the manager.

Only an idiot would take Prince fielder out of a close game, the problem was not Princes speed, but the 4 guys who batted after him failed to move him up.

Even if we had PR Ajax [moronic idea] We still lose because nobody got the hit to score him, therefore the argument you're making is pointless.

And let's assume for a second we did core him and tie the game, then Don Kelly comes in to play 1B, and hits cleanup in extra innings.

Brilliant.

Only an idiot would take Prince fielder out of a close game, the problem was not Princes speed, but the 4 guys who batted after him failed to move him up.

Even if we had PR Ajax [moronic idea] We still lose because nobody got the hit to score him, therefore the argument you're making is pointless.

And let's assume for a second we did core him and tie the game, then Don Kelly comes in to play 1B, and hits cleanup in extra innings.

Brilliant.

1. Only an idiot would take Prince fielder out of a close game, the problem was not Princes speed, but the 4 guys who batted after him failed to move him up.

Answer... the key here is close, if we were tied then no,I'd leave him in but we was in a do or die situation.we had to do anything possible to get that run in from 2nd. but Prince could have played the 10th inning. lol

2.Even if we had PR Ajax [moronic idea] We still lose because nobody got the hit to score him, therefore the argument you're making is pointless.

answer....if they would have bunted him over to 3rd with no outs (one after the sac), then we don't need a hit, only a fly ball to the outfield or a past ball or wild pitch.

3..And let's assume for a second we did core him and tie the game, then Don Kelly comes in to play 1B, and hits cleanup in extra innings.

but at least we got to extra innings.

Last edited:
Winning run, maybe you put Jackson out there. Tying run, not an option. Just my humble opinion.

Pestano is pitching. Career vs RH .130 BAVG .224 OBP .179 SLG .381 OPS

You pinch hit Santiago for D. Young and Santiago attempts (no guarantees) to sacrifice Fielder to 3rd. You have a runner on 3rd with 1 out. Or, pinch hit using Santiago or Kelly and let them pull the ball to the right side, ultimately doing the same as a sacrifice.

Would this change Boesch getting hit by a pitch? Maybe.

And you can pinch run for Fielder with Kelly, Worth, or Santiago and still can an advantage on the base paths. Logically, it should be whoever stays and plays 1B and/or 3B, thus avoiding using a 3rd player. But if you use Kelly or Santiago to pinch hit for Young, then then they cannot play the field without forfeiting the DH.

Additionally, if you use Jackson as a pinch runner, where is he going to play?

Yes, I agree a pinch runner might have been in order, but the logical choice should have been Worth. You pinch hit Kelly for Fielder and Santiago for Peralta. I would never had a righthaned hitter face Pestano.

BTW...the outcome might have been the same, but at least there was an attempt to influence the outcome.

2.Even if we had PR Ajax [moronic idea] We still lose because nobody got the hit to score him, therefore the argument you're making is pointless.

answer....if they would have bunted him over to 3rd with no outs (one after the sac), then we don't need a hit, only a fly ball to the outfield or a past ball or wild pitch.

Fielder could have taken 3rd on a bunt the same as Ajax, pinch-running for him is only an advantage if it's a hit that a fast guy could score from second on.

Now lets for a second forget that Delmon is Delmon, but the guy is on a hot streak, no way you don't let him swing away in that situation.

Back