Welcome to Detroit Sports Forum!

By joining our community, you'll be able to connect with fellow fans that live and breathe Detroit sports just like you!

Get Started
  • If you are no longer able to access your account since our recent switch from vBulletin to XenForo, you may need to reset your password via email. If you no longer have access to the email attached to your account, please fill out our contact form and we will assist you ASAP. Thanks for your continued support of DSF.

The Official New Michigan Football coaching staff thread

Matt Zenitz
@mzenitz
In addition to Joe Cullen, another NFL coach on the radar as a person of interest for the Michigan defensive coordinator job is ex-Ravens and Giants DC Wink Martindale, sources tell
@247sports

Martindale was with the Ravens from 2012-21. Was the Giants’ DC the last two years.

Matt Zenitz
@mzenitz
In addition to Joe Cullen, another NFL coach on the radar as a person of interest for the Michigan defensive coordinator job is ex-Ravens and Giants DC Wink Martindale, sources tell
@247sports

Martindale was with the Ravens from 2012-21. Was the Giants’ DC the last two years.

According to Wikipedia, he was on Jack Harbaugh's staff at WKU as well, so there's a family connection. His career record does not inspire confidence though. Maybe they feel they need an old guy on the staff (he's 60)?

Sounds like Sherrone is meeting with Wink Martindale (not that Wink Martindale) today. IF things work out, Wink could be bringing some Ravens flavor with him

MSN

Before his time with the Giants, Wilkins spent 12 seasons with the Baltimore Ravens.

If Martindale eventually lands the defensive coordinator job at Michigan, it would come as little surprise if both Drew and Kevin Wilkins join him on staff.

Last edited:
Sounds like Sherrone is meeting with Wink Martindale (not that Wink Martindale) today. IF things work out, Wink could be bringing some Ravens flavor with him

Could he bring John Harbaugh?

Wink is new DC. I feel better going forward. Now, lets raid the portal when it opens back up.

After The Game this year, when OSU started turning on itself and their new QB left, I had confidence that Michigan was going to go into Columbus and win The Game again this year. With Jim leaving and what has happened in terms of players going to the NFL (especially JJ) and the coaches Moore has gotten to join the staff I have less and less confidence. The success the team has had the last three years may be coming to an end.

Harbaugh and these coaches and the team won a Natty. Let me get that out of the way. And the euphoria still lingers....

BUT

This is starting to feel like JH is sending a big FuckYou to somebody by gutting the coaching staff. I get that coaches strive to move up the ladder and eventually try get to the NFL and then try to move up there and all that, but this is starting to feel different. Should we expect Hart and Bellamy to be announcing they are heading to LA soon?

Maybe I am just being a bitter curmudgeon. After the last 3 years I felt we were FINALLY turning the corner and Harbaugh was our Nick Saban. We would dominate the college football scene for years to come. I hope Sherrone IS the guy. I HOPE he can keep things rolling. But my gut says so far that is a fools view now.

][V][ Go Blue 4 Life

Whatever happens with the coaching staff, lets just hope that Spring ball brings everyone together and the players stay intact for the coming season.

DB coach Steve Clincksale also poached to the Chargers. He wanted the opportunity to be the DC here I'm reading and now that chance is gone.

I looked up David Shaw's career at Stanford after Harbaugh left, and it's not as bad as I thought, and actually quite good, up until his last 4 seasons. He won 2 Rose Bowls, 4 Time Pac 12 coach of the Year and finished #3 in the country in 2015.

Of course they never made the playoffs under him, and the Pac12 was pretty lousy most of his tenure.

But if we could get 6-7 good seasons out of Sherrone Moore, I guess I can't complain.

Josh Henschke
@JoshHenschke
·
11h
No deal has officially been signed yet but Michigan and Wisconsin DL coach Greg Scruggs are heading towards finalizing a deal in the next 24-48 hours, I’m told. Wisconsin staff and players have been informed.

Yesterday I also mentioned Brian Jean-Mary as a likely linebacker coaching target. Well, things have escalated to Jean-Mary being a definite target now. Sources say contact has been made by Sherrone Moore and interest is mutual. His buyout proved not to be a deterrent for Michigan. Neither was the sizable pay raise to the $665,000 he made in Knoxville last year. This was just step one of what sources say will be a strong run at luring Jean-Mary back to Ann Arbor. That shouldn't be taken to mean he's the only target on the board... especially since Josh Heupel is expected to prioritize keeping him at Tennessee... but it's fair to call Jean-Mary the top target. -- Sam Webb

Sam Webb

@SamWebb77

Webblog: Major search update - Sherrone Moore closing in on last two on-field hires. Good chance things get wrapped up in next 24 hours.

Matt Zenitz

@mzenitz

Michigan is expected to hire Houston Texans safeties coach Stephen Adegoke as a defensive backs coach, sources tell
@247sports
.Before the Texans, Adegoke worked for the San Francisco 49ers and as a graduate assistant/assistant DB coach at Michigan.

Reactions: Cam
While nothing official has been announce about several hires, it is being reported that Michigan is set to get a former key contributor on its defense as a grad assistant. Brad Hawkins, who had a stint in the NFL, will be returning to Ann Arbor

Reactions: Cam

Matt Zenitz

@mzenitz

Michigan is expected to hire Houston Texans safeties coach Stephen Adegoke as a defensive backs coach, sources tell
@247sports
.Before the Texans, Adegoke worked for the San Francisco 49ers and as a graduate assistant/assistant DB coach at Michigan.
Aaaand now he is staying in Texas

So it would seem as long as Bellamy and Hart are still staying that the staff is done.

Back